Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Where to put built-ins for playroom? Windows causing issues
blazzara
February 24, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We are deciding on where to put built ins in this playroom for my boys ages 10 and 8. We need storage too to hide the endless amounts of legos and I DON'T want to see all the pieces. Where should the cabinets go, between windows or free walls? Will need to have spot for tv too? 2 windows on the side are making it hard and it doesn't give much room to pop out if they are located on free wall to right or left. HELP! Would love a drawing or something!!!! Room is 19x16.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
charleee
Do you need to separate their toys? Like the 8-year old's in one section and the 10-year old's in another? If yes I would put the built-ins on opposite walls. I would put the tv between the two windows, I see there's already an outlet there. Low cabinets on both sides to hold the Nintendo/Playstation and controller and games. And don't forget some cool seats: [houzz=Felted Wool Stones]
[houzz=Kid's Beanbag Media Chair]

And if you haven't already noticed this, Lego's go forth in the middle of the night and multply!
February 24, 2013 at 2:19pm     
PRO
Dytecture
I would have a 1/2 height built-ins just below the windows with the potential of TV in the middle.
February 24, 2013 at 2:23pm     
baumer
you could do half height builtins that are under windows (mirror images?) that hit/connect to a center builtin floor to ceiling with tv. Center section houses tv, movies and shared toys, and to each side under Windows are each child's toys. . You could put a child's table in center if room so they can watch a show while eating snacks. :-)
February 24, 2013 at 2:34pm   
baumer
Similar to this but opposite. Center section is floor to ceiling and sides under windows. I wouldnt go all the way to windows. I like to leave wall space. Around window some but that's personal preference

February 24, 2013 at 2:39pm   
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
I would place built-ins on the window wall, stopping about 6" from each window. This allows the side walls for TV and seating. I envision the bottom sections as cabinets with shelving above. There should be plenty of space for toy storage in the cabinets. Under each window could be a desk area if the boys don't have desk space elsewhere.
February 24, 2013 at 2:54pm     
PRO
Due.
If you are looking for seating, I'm making these bean bags.. Kids love it, and it's really comfortable:

best,
Linas
February 25, 2013 at 8:21am   
Kevin Strader
How about this idea?

Sorry, just realized this was an older post.
February 3, 2014 at 8:58am   
More Discussions
To drop or not to drop
Am installing ceilings in my new house and am mulling...
Exterior update on 1970's bungelow
The house faces west. I've thought of adding a covered...
What colors with white Wassily
I have a white wassily and a black & white cowhide...
Need some advice on furniture choices for small LR
Over the course of 15 years we had just finished completely...
DCLOSTBOY Report to Classy Bedroom Thread! .....please :)
Here is my lovely bedroom (can we sense the sarcasm?)....
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.