Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Where to put built-ins for playroom? Windows causing issues
blazzara
February 24, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We are deciding on where to put built ins in this playroom for my boys ages 10 and 8. We need storage too to hide the endless amounts of legos and I DON'T want to see all the pieces. Where should the cabinets go, between windows or free walls? Will need to have spot for tv too? 2 windows on the side are making it hard and it doesn't give much room to pop out if they are located on free wall to right or left. HELP! Would love a drawing or something!!!! Room is 19x16.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
charleee
Do you need to separate their toys? Like the 8-year old's in one section and the 10-year old's in another? If yes I would put the built-ins on opposite walls. I would put the tv between the two windows, I see there's already an outlet there. Low cabinets on both sides to hold the Nintendo/Playstation and controller and games. And don't forget some cool seats: [houzz=Felted Wool Stones]
[houzz=Kid's Beanbag Media Chair]

And if you haven't already noticed this, Lego's go forth in the middle of the night and multply!
2 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 2:19PM
PRO
Dytecture
I would have a 1/2 height built-ins just below the windows with the potential of TV in the middle.
2 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 2:23PM
a_rainbow
you could do half height builtins that are under windows (mirror images?) that hit/connect to a center builtin floor to ceiling with tv. Center section houses tv, movies and shared toys, and to each side under Windows are each child's toys. . You could put a child's table in center if room so they can watch a show while eating snacks. :-)
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 2:34PM
a_rainbow
Similar to this but opposite. Center section is floor to ceiling and sides under windows. I wouldnt go all the way to windows. I like to leave wall space. Around window some but that's personal preference

0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 2:39PM
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
I would place built-ins on the window wall, stopping about 6" from each window. This allows the side walls for TV and seating. I envision the bottom sections as cabinets with shelving above. There should be plenty of space for toy storage in the cabinets. Under each window could be a desk area if the boys don't have desk space elsewhere.
2 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 2:54PM
PRO
Due.
If you are looking for seating, I'm making these bean bags.. Kids love it, and it's really comfortable:

best,
Linas
0 Likes   February 25, 2013 at 8:21AM
Kevin Strader
How about this idea?

Sorry, just realized this was an older post.
0 Likes   February 3, 2014 at 8:58AM