Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help on Exterior of our home
Marcia W
February 24, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We would love your ideas & suggestions on the finishes of this home. Around the windows do we put shutters (if so what style/color) or frame out around them (if so what style/color) On the pillars, should they be boxed out bigger or add another pillar? Also should they stay stained or be painted/what color? New garage door, what style & color? also should trim around the hardy shingles above the garage, entry, & bedroom window be painted a lighter or darker color? the roof color is brown, sorry it doesn't show as we had a lot of snow...Thank you, your help is greatly appreciated.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
semihugger1
It's always hard to tell in winter, as the house looks "ungrounded" I do personally prefer shingled peaks be a different color to add visual dimension. Would definately box out the front pillars for weight and interest. Also would consider some stonework to ground the windows or at the least some heavy windowboxes for the time being.
1 Like   February 24, 2013 at 4:09PM
semihugger1
PS- as a landscaper I would move your right tree to the left side with 1 more (odd numbers) in an island planting with a couple boulders to again weight your home correctly.
1 Like   February 24, 2013 at 4:13PM
PRO
Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design
I like the roofline of your house and the color scheme of the exterior. First, repaint (if you can) the siding sections under each of the peaks. Choose a shade of the same color but a step or two darker, or lighter. This will point up the the height and punctuate the overall architecture.
Next I'd beef up the columns so they become roughly twice the width and depth that they are now.
Wrap them in either the same material as front door or something you can paint in the same overall color. The garage door looks Purple....? Paint the Garage door and the trim just below the roof line all in an almost-black shade of the face of your house, or, of the door and column color.
To finish it all off I'd recommend that you add shutters just to your picture window. These can be the same color as your garage door. At the left facing side of your house below the smaller window, plant a grouping with one tree or bush and some lower growth. For instance, one red maple to the left of the window just a few feet and positioned about 6-7 feet out from the house. This will add some needed volume to that window without crowding it with shutters.
At some point in the future I'd consider turning the from foot path so that it joins the driveway, or widen it.
1 Like   February 24, 2013 at 4:17PM
PRO
Mary Poulos Interior and Exterior Design
I would consider a real or faux attic vent, not to large, in the two larger peaks.
1 Like   February 24, 2013 at 4:24PM
Scott Sawyer
Suggest larger natural beam columns to replace the two small columns. This will add weight and balance to you beautiful home. Hire a local architect to help specify and design. Then I would add some evergreen bushes to the front. For example one on each corner of "A" roof ridge line on the left, repeat for the center and then for the right on each corner of the garage. And yes add shutters. Beautiful home that only gets better. What is the mountain.
2 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 4:35PM
claudiann
Shutters and those shake shingles on the gables would look good.
1 Like   February 24, 2013 at 5:39PM
PRO
Craftsman's Choice Inc.
Here are a couple pictures from a job we did that has a similar style.
1 Like   February 24, 2013 at 5:57PM
Jayme H.
Craftsman style columns would look great on this house.
2 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 6:03PM
Jayme H.
pic
2 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 6:13PM
katgat
Craftsman touches would give the house a more outdoorsy look to blend in with the mountain background. all the above suggestions are great!
What about adding stone to the wall around the front entrance and also build stone columns instead of the two posts? If you do want shutters, make them the same wood color as the front door and also consider painting the garage door also to match the front door to bring this color along the entire front of the house for accent and balance. Then use lots of rocks/rock in the landscaping to tie it all together. Great house, love the Mt. in background!
0 Likes   Thanked by Marcia W    April 14, 2014 at 10:59AM