powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with Exterior - no one has been able to help so far!
sraipradeepm41
February 24, 2013 in Design Dilemma
My house has EIFS and I need to have it removed. The home is located in the NorthWest so the rain doesn't help. Do you have any ideas on what to do to the exterior? What materials would you suggest? Colors?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
decoenthusiaste
Contact the builder who used it and see if there is a source for removal of the product.
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 5:31PM
claudiann
I'm sorry I can't help. I had to look up EIFS. When I first read your message I thought it said elfs. Hope you get it fixed. It is a beautiful home.
2 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 5:35PM
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 5:47PM
wstdspace
Why does it need removed?
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 5:50PM
bevballew
Cool house. Sorry about your problem. I would do the same color. I would do a stucco that has been used and is safe. It will actually be nicer with the real thing.
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 6:05PM
ronny360
Eifs is fairly easy to remove,it consists of rigid board styrofoam with a thin concrete skin.Any contractor can do that.
You will probably need to replace your soffit because of damage resulting from the removal of eifs.
On the curved wall I would put Cultured Stone because it is the easiest thing to put on a curved wall. On the rest, it's pretty much personal taste.
You could drive around the new developpements in your area and see what you like.
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 6:23PM
sraipradeepm41
thank you so much!
0 Likes   February 25, 2013 at 9:26AM
PRO
Barnhart Gallery
Ronny I was going to say cultured stone as well -- I think it would rock on that curved wall. Yup, rock.
0 Likes   February 25, 2013 at 9:29AM
PRO
House of Rocks
For outdoor use I'd suggest natural thin veneer stone as opposed to cultured for a number of reasons:
Freeze/thaw cycles, low maintenance, durability, natural stone can add additional value

Cultured stone is prone to fading from weathering and often has predicable patterns that can give your home a "puzzled" look. There are durability concerns as well, hence the warranties they promote

Natural has the same application as thin veneer and you get a nice and natural variation of the colors

here are the benefits of going natural: http://www.buildingstoneinstitute.org/technical-stone-info/stone-a-sustainability.html
0 Likes   February 27, 2013 at 12:15PM
bevballew
I agree stone would be nice. I live in Michigan and it is common here. Also see houses with stucco which is nice.
0 Likes   February 27, 2013 at 2:03PM
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
Maybe you could put REAL stucco in the area of the windows..kind of framed out with stucco. Also use stucco on the arches in the entrance area. Then use a natural stone, from your area, for the rest of the house. This breaks up the expanses and highlights your window area.
0 Likes   February 27, 2013 at 2:27PM
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
Check out this site..these are think stone vaneers..I like the "Tuscan Buff" stone and the "High Plains Rustic Random" http://www.pacificstonescape.com/home/pse/page_245/tuscan_buff.html

But I still would add the REAL stucco in the areas I mentioned above.
0 Likes   February 27, 2013 at 2:31PM
PRO
Jeff Hibbard Design Services
As long as you are going as far as tearing off the stucco, perhaps adding some feature to enhance the exterior would help. It seems like a lower roof wrapping around to cover the lower windows on the curved wall
would help break up that 2-story wall. Maybe w/ stone up to the lower roof, and another material above that. Also perhaps a false balcony over the front entry with a floor and iron railing on the top. It seems the proportions are way off on that front entry. Why is it so high. I would try and do something with that. Good luck w/ your project
0 Likes   February 27, 2013 at 2:43PM
bevballew
Gorgeous what Barbara gave as a link!
0 Likes   February 27, 2013 at 5:59PM
sraipradeepm41
I agree! Thank you all for your feedback and ideas - much appreciated! I'm going to be getting some renderings done in the next few weeks of different ideas. I'll post them on this site and would love to get your thoughts.
2 Likes   February 28, 2013 at 9:07AM
PRO
Jeff Hibbard Design Services
That sounds great. I would love to see what you come up with.
0 Likes   February 28, 2013 at 11:12AM
More Discussions
Help Blue Roof
We can not get roof to match because we live in remote...
Guest Bedroom Help!!
I'm trying to get the guest room bedding figured out...
Looking for a table for my dining chairs!!
Hello, I need help finding the perfect table for this...
New apt...please help with living room design
Just moved into new apt and buying furniture piece...
Help with a reading nook
Want to make a reading nook out of the blue patterned...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.