Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Ideas for paint and more
trendyb
February 24, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Help! I am in the mood to repaint the exterior and do some remodeling and the hubby is in a "yes" mood so I need some paint suggestions quick! Sorry this was only photo I currently have , will upload ,better pic tomorrow. House is beige stucco with white on corners and black shutters. Door is black as well. Was thinking of covering the doorway somehow and different paint color.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bevballew
What state do you live in? Wonder as I think it makes a dif re color. White? Or taupe or pale yellow?
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 5:31PM
Michele Leal
I would use grey tone...
2 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 5:40PM
PRO
Engrav's Decorating
Looks like you have a black roof also. Shades of gray would complement the roof, shutters and white pillars.

What colors are the homes to the right and left of your home?
1 Like   February 24, 2013 at 5:44PM
trendyb
Missouri and we face the sun so I wonder if that will affect fading...bought new outdoor lighting fixtures a few years back and they are completely faded out now. Roof is dark, now quite black but in that field. Houses next door on both sides are brick with white siding on sides. Was thinking of a yellowish color, u think grey?
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 5:51PM
PRO
Engrav's Decorating
Yellow and gray work with the red brick homes on either side of you. Gray is more sophisticated. Some paint companies have premixed colors and premixed colors are more fade resistant.
At least that is true with Benjamin Moore Paints.
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 5:56PM
bevballew
There was a very large house in my neighborhood that was a soft yellow and I loved it. To me a lot of gray is being suggested so it must be the in color for designers. I think gray can be dreary but it seems to be popular. I will be curious as to what designers say. I thought your type of house might be cool in a yellow.
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 5:59PM
trendyb
I just figured its too much house for grey..,I know that sounds weird. Yellow is bright and airy but I love hearing the ideas!
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 6:03PM
bevballew
I would agree gray probably more sophisticated but yellow gives that beach, cottage theme, although not sure if that feel can be on this style of house. Designers know best.
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 6:07PM
bevballew
I just saw a house on houzz that is all gray with white trim everywhere and it is gorgeous. Hats off to the decorator above. Designers are suggesting gray and I am not used to it but gosh was the house gorgeous. I guess I suggest that since yellow can be more risky.
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 6:34PM
Cathy Embry
I have a pale yellow house right now and I am repainting in April and just hired a designer to pick my colors-she picked warmstone beige and lots of gray as well. She told me that the yellow is dated and limits things. She also suggested that neurtral tones-grays, beiges, etc are very in right now.
1 Like   February 24, 2013 at 6:53PM
trendyb
Bev - can u tag me in that pic?
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 7:35PM
trendyb
Cathy, can u post your pic too?
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 7:35PM
trendyb
Mmhmm, thanks lauryne
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 7:57PM
trendyb
Is there a website u can go to that u can see your house in a different color?
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 8:18PM
bevballew
I don't know how to tag? If you can let me know that would be great. I will try with attach pictures.
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 9:15PM
PRO
Engrav's Decorating
Your home with the columns and height speak sophistication.
It isn't because it's popular with the decorators. Yellow houses speak cottage or one story. Both yellow and gray would be a nice choice for your house. The gray fits the style. There are many shades of gray families with different undertones. Here is a pic of a home with gray. I think the height and the columns of your home would benefit from a sophisticated color. Yellow would be a nice accent color using that in flowers and/pots to decorate the front. Just some thoughts. Good luck!
0 Likes   February 25, 2013 at 4:43AM
PRO
Engrav's Decorating
Here is a lighter shade of gray.
0 Likes   February 25, 2013 at 4:46AM
PRO
Engrav's Decorating
This is the style house that speaks to the color yellow.
0 Likes   February 25, 2013 at 4:50AM
PRO
Engrav's Decorating
Here is a yellow two story house minus the columns but it will give you a visual.
0 Likes   February 25, 2013 at 4:51AM
bevballew
Engrav's decorating, you are the designer and you are so right. Once I saw gray houses I agreed. It is about the style of the house. I was a bit apprehensive about yellow on that style of house but thought it could work, especially if in the area of the country that has a lot of this color. Thanks for sending the links to gray houses. I was on last night looking how to tag and just put on the search line gray exteriors on a house and found what you found but still don't know how to tag. Thank you for tagging them. Hope this helps Trendyb. I vote for gray! Love the idea of yellow flowers.
1 Like   February 25, 2013 at 5:27AM
bevballew
It just seems that gray is the big color as being suggested a lot but I am new to houzz. . Even at the oscars last night many gray dresses. It seems to be the in color as I see it everywhere but it could be my imagination. Probably the new beige? Anyway, a gray house with white trim will be gorgeous. There was a yellow two story house in my community but dif style. I am learning a lot from listening to all the designers. It is so nice the input from designers.
0 Likes   February 25, 2013 at 5:48AM
PRO
Engrav's Decorating
Yes, gray is the forecast color for the next decade so you will be seeing a lot of gray interiors as well. Be assured thought that the only reason I suggested gray is because of the structure of your home, the roof and the red brick homes on either side of you. Be careful of yellow as it is the one and only color that can get out of hand. When you think you have found the shade you think you like, go two shades lighter. Stay away from lemon yellows as they will knock you eyeballs into orbit. Above all have fun and buy some quarts of paint and try them out. Stand at your curb and see what YOU like.
0 Likes   February 25, 2013 at 5:52AM
PRO
Engrav's Decorating
This would make awesome shrubs in front of your home if you decide to use the gray. I love these and they bloom all summer long.
0 Likes   February 25, 2013 at 5:58AM
bevballew
Coreopsis flowers I think! Love them! Your house will be gorgeous with the gray and yellow flowers. It is a nice color instead of always beige. I love taupe also. There is a home in my community with a dark taupe and darker trim. It is stunning.
0 Likes   February 25, 2013 at 6:23AM
trendyb
Thank you! I am trying to find some light grey houses on here, but we don't want dark grey...I was hoping to have a cover built over the door and supported by columns, what do you think? will it take away from the house or not go with it?
0 Likes   February 25, 2013 at 2:41PM
bevballew
I was driving they my neighborhood this afternoon and looking at paint colors on houses!! I thought a light gray too for your house after seeing dark gray and light gray painted houses. I could see it. Hope some designers respond to see what they say.
0 Likes   February 25, 2013 at 3:03PM
PRO
Engrav's Decorating
Some Bengamin Moore Colors ti check out are HC-172 Revere Pewter, 1598 Silver Lake, 1474 Cape May Cobbekstone to get you started.
1 Like   February 25, 2013 at 5:14PM
PRO
Engrav's Decorating
Check this out! Best of gray and yellow. Yellow to bright for me put you could tone it down.
1 Like   February 25, 2013 at 5:19PM
bevballew
Just beautiful! Great job engrav! Love it! Agree yellow too bright!
0 Likes   February 25, 2013 at 8:40PM