Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Needs finishing touches....
amycellzey
February 24, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Room sat empty for years, finally have furniture, but there is still so much potential. An upright piano sits opposite windows. Any ideas on accent furniture and fireplace mantel. I cant seem to find the right art and don't want vases. House is fairly modern, I don't like clutter. Thanks for your help!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
2dogssashatess
Well if you can't settle on art above the fireplace what about a mirror.? More photos of different aspects of the room would help.
February 24, 2013 at 10:40PM   
yvesun
what about an aquarium?
February 24, 2013 at 10:49PM   
Janet Broaddus
There appears to be enough depth to put a standing object in that space. Depending on what your interests are or where you live, you could have a large piece of bleached and sanded driftwood or a pair of water birds. I'd make sure to take up more than half of the height so it appears to be a natural fit for the space. If you want art in a frame, you could do two pieces. One very tall and leaning on the stone and the second smaller piece leaning in front and overlapping the larger. Personal history is interesting as well, like a Christening dress framed. A beautiful space.
February 24, 2013 at 11:15PM     
PRO
Angelina Vick
I think the space above the mantel is begging for the right piece of art.

You may not have found the right piece yet, but it's kind of like falling in love, when you know...you know. I can easily imagine a smaller rectangle or square piece of art on the top half and an arrangement of glass and other reflective neutral items (with a splash of color) on the ledge.

Feel free to check out my art and see if anything strikes your fancy.

www.angelinavick.com
February 24, 2013 at 11:56PM     
PRO
Angelina Vick
This piece came to mind for your space:
http://angelina-vick.artistwebsites.com/featured/field-of-flowers-within-1-angelina-vick.html

Also...I have a series of medallions, some of which are tan and some that are olive. They could compliment your mirror well.
http://angelina-vick.artistwebsites.com/featured/1-coffee-flowers-8-olive-ornate-medallion-angelina-vick.html
February 25, 2013 at 12:01AM     
carolins
The room looks beautiful, love the fireplace. In fact, I like everything that I see here.
The idea of adding a piece of sculpture to your fireplace is a great one I think. You could also use some accent tables or a coffee table. I'll see if I can find you some ideas and will be back later. Nice project :-)
February 25, 2013 at 12:11AM     
carolins
You can just about go anywhere stylistically with this room, which may be part of your problem deciding what you want. Here are some ideas:
A sort of classic/comtemporary-ish rectangular glass top table, with a base that mirrors the arch in your fireplace:
Quintin Coffee Table and End Tables

A funky accent table. You could shop for a couple of individual looking ones that you can either group in front of the sofa or dot around where needed:
Rectangular Table
Metal Accordion Side Table
Martini Side Table | West Elm

A modern round coffee table that mirrors both the arch and the lamp and the mirror:
Smart Round Marble Top Coffee Table

Antique(look) tables with a twist, like this library step in the photo that also shows another option, the Ottoman.
Lorraine Vale
February 25, 2013 at 1:20AM     
carolins
Sorry, I just love virtual shopping for other people ;-) But I found this bench that could also work;

February 25, 2013 at 1:25AM     
Maeve McNamara
I adore it as is. Stunning..
February 25, 2013 at 1:28AM   
Maeve McNamara
How about a selection of orchids of varying height as you decide what you're going to do?
February 25, 2013 at 1:30AM     
PRO
ASVInteriors
I always imagine how a guest is going to feel sitting your room - where will they put their drink, if you offer snacks how will you do it? These dictate side tables and maybe even a coffee table. Perhaps the coffee table could be in a clear glass with metallic or wooden frame so as not to fill up your room, and the side tables need to be small and unimposing. (maybe in keeping with my following suggestion, round or square tree trunk tables)

Your mantelpiece is more difficult because it is very dramatic and does require something tall but not too thin so you see the lovely effect of the lighting behind it on the wall. This has to be something you love. My suggestion, given your muted pallette (and I believe was mentioned earlier) is a wood sculpture - or even some intricate petrified driftwood on a stand. But this has to be something that appeals to you.

Your colours are muted so I imagine very low key items that show their beauty through a play of shadow and light - which is why I have gone for the trees - natural wood look.
Hope this is of assistance.
February 25, 2013 at 1:38AM     
carolins
And for fireplace art ideas:

You could shop around on for instance http://www.etsy.com for sculptures and if you like something, but it is perhaps the wrong scale, you could commission a sculpture especially for you? http://www.etsy.com/listing/56310039/aluminum-sculpture-lovers-entwined?ref=v1_other_2
http://www.etsy.com/listing/114547009/wood-relief-blackened-wood-wall?ref=v1_other_2

Good luck! You have a gorgeous room already and I'm sure it will look great once you've found those final touches. Have you thought about adding a colour accent with a couple of cushions? Could be cream. Or teal, blue, burnt orange... don't get me started... ;-)
February 25, 2013 at 1:46AM   
amycellzey
Love ideas. Carolins amazing as you understood my taste with so few words on my part. I'm going to check out West Elms tonight. Anymore ideas for in front of the windows? I was thinking a long table, maybe a cabinet. I have a lot of mirrors in the house but like the wood object ideas. I will keep looking. Thanks.
February 25, 2013 at 5:58AM     
bevballew
Love your work Angelina. Going to give my daughter your link. Fun artwork! Seems wood is a good theme for this house. Fp gorgeous as is the house. Chairs to be recovered? They don't seem to blend with the house but hard to tell from pic.
February 25, 2013 at 6:12AM   
Greg the PAINT-IT! guy
Metallic statuary artwork would be awesome!
February 25, 2013 at 6:41AM     
groveraxle
I agree with Angelina about the art for the mantel: you will fall in love with a piece and know it is right. In your search for that perfect piece, I suggest keeping a totally open mind. Look at art and sculpture, but also at artifacts and antiquities. Look for something beautiful and totally unexpected. Perhaps it will be the piece that makes you say, "Hmmm. Interesting," at first, and then makes you come back to look again and again.
February 25, 2013 at 6:56AM     
February 25, 2013 at 7:08AM     
carolins
Always lovely to hear. Thanks, made my day!
Groveraxle is so right about finding art that works for you. Visit galleries, browse the net, fall in love with it...

Under the window: something like the funky bench? Stack some nice magazines, of course about Interior Design, what else :-) at one end, and place a sturdy hurricane or lantern at the other. Go rather large when choosing accessories.
Benchwright Bench
Santorini Square Lanterns
Driftwood Hurricane - Anthropologie.com

Another idea http://www.potterybarn.com/products/winslow-long-media-stand/?cm_src=AutoCatRel

I do like the chairs and the sofa. Will you be putting a tv in this room?
February 25, 2013 at 7:53AM     
carolins
Have you tried the mirror in the arch above the fireplace? You could then hang a large painting on that wall.
February 25, 2013 at 7:55AM   
Jayme H.
I like your mirror on the wall, have u considered hanging that over your fireplace? OIC in another pic u have one on each side of FP.
February 25, 2013 at 7:55AM   
carolins
Great minds think alike ;-)
February 25, 2013 at 7:56AM     
groveraxle
Man, what is with this emphasis on mirrors? They simply give a reflection of something you already have, yet they're everywhere in design these days. Give me a piece of art or interesting object any day, something I can study and be amazed by.
February 25, 2013 at 8:05AM     
Jayme H.
To add interest to your room..maybe a different type of table, with some metal? And some art...I like this pic
February 25, 2013 at 8:17AM   
PRO
Angelina Vick
Thank you bevballew! That's very sweet. =D

Amy...I also really believe a dramatic sculpture would also make an awesome statement.

With the muted look of the colors and room...whatever you place there will have a huge impact on the room.

I would not add a mirror. The room is gorgeous...I don't think a mirror will add to it it's beauty.

We could help you pick a piece of art...how does that sound? I know a lot of artists work.

If you want help...tell us what kind of art you are drawn to. Abstract...realistic? Colors? Do you like any certain subjects? Scenes? Geometric designs? Animals?

What every you decide...I think it should also flow with the sun shaped mirror...you don't want them to compete, they need to compliment each other.

This is another piece that I think would compliment the space.
http://angelina-vick.artistwebsites.com/featured/touch-of-class-trio-angelina-vick.html
February 25, 2013 at 9:56AM     
williama
You need some accent tables
February 25, 2013 at 10:07AM   
PRO
Angelina Vick
I noticed you have some teal accents. A few more pieces came to mind.
http://angelina-vick.artistwebsites.com/featured/on-and-on-and-on-angelina-vick.html
http://angelina-vick.artistwebsites.com/featured/synergy-angelina-vick.html
http://angelina-vick.artistwebsites.com/featured/intelligent-design-2-angelina-vick.html
http://angelina-vick.artistwebsites.com/featured/making-music-1-2-angelina-vick.html
http://angelina-vick.artistwebsites.com/featured/the-building-blocks-angelina-vick.html

Ok....that's enough....lol.

I just wanted to give you some ideas. =D

If you describe what you are drawn too...I will bet that we could help lead you to some piece of art that you would love in this space.

But...don't buy art...unless I LOVE it...because it will be something I look at everyday.
February 25, 2013 at 10:12AM   
PRO
Angelina Vick
Those are gorgeous. The clock is so bold!
February 25, 2013 at 10:18AM   
PRO
JUL313 Gallery
Love this room. I have several paintings I have just completed that would look great in that room!! My website is www.jul313.com
February 25, 2013 at 11:28AM     
PRO
Angelina Vick
Gorgeous abstracts! Those would be great in this space!
February 25, 2013 at 11:37AM     
PRO
Architectural Antiques
The mirror next to the fire place reminds me of a piece that we have that may look great on your mantel. Obviously, you couldn't have both the mirror and this piece though,
February 25, 2013 at 11:40AM     
PRO
Acquired Taste: Interior Design and Home Staging
What a great setting for the right piece of artwork. I am a designer and owned a fine art gallery for twenty years, so that is my expertise. A few things to consider when you are selecting your artwork.
A. Since it is going to be sitting against stone be sure it has some 'strength' to it - both in technique and color. A bold abstract would be wonderful, but a landscape or floral that had some bold colors or some texture, as with palate knife work, etc. would work also. B. Keep in mind the scale. That is a large area, plus your room is large and has height. What you want the artwork to do is to bring the eye back down from roaming upward. Even if the piece isn't huge you can accomplish a lot with the scale of the framing. C. My art philosophy is that the eye-level, whether done first or done last, is still the first thing you see. And, it should be a subjective purchase. If you buy artwork because it 'goes with' the room it will be disposable at the end. If you purchase something you or your husband 'love', you will love it and when you redecorate or move, you will enjoy it again. My projects on Houzz will give you an idea of how much the right framing adds to the artwork. Post pictures when you're done!
February 25, 2013 at 11:49AM     
PRO
Acquired Taste: Interior Design and Home Staging
Oh! The rest of the story.... The artwork, since it is at eye-level, will help establish the colors and patterns you can use in the rest of your accessorizing. Actually, it makes the rest of your choices a lot easier!
February 25, 2013 at 11:51AM   
micki76
Just beautiful! Love the driftwood sculpture idea. Maybe layer different lengths of wood planks that have a nice stain? That way you could play with the scale without any real commitment...
February 25, 2013 at 11:56AM     
amycellzey
Angelina thanks for offering to help with my mantel piece art search. I originally purchased 'May' for the spot but she was not happy there, too small and seem to conflict with the stone. Love her. This is a little taste of my taste. Just different, like the colors. May has a new home in the hallway.
February 25, 2013 at 5:49PM     
amycellzey
Acquired Taste. Thank you for the advice. I'm going to find my piece before adding too much accent as I agree that it will likely inspire the rest.
February 25, 2013 at 5:52PM   
PRO
Julie Thome Draperies, Inc.
Lovely fireplace! Full length drapes would look great in that room, once you have chosen art, take colors from it. Rod should be mounted midway between the top of the semi circle window and the ceiling, one long rod with 4 panels.
February 25, 2013 at 6:04PM   
PRO
Angelina Vick
You're welcome.

Hmm..so bold..impressionistic animals. Ok...I have a few in mind.

Jennifer focuses on horses, but she has a bold impressionistic style.
http://fineartamerica.com/profiles/jennifer-morrison.html

Ana Maria has tons of brightly colored impression work.
http://fineartamerica.com/profiles/edulescu-ana-maria.html

This is a vivid digital painting...for variety.
http://fineartamerica.com/featured/color-my-world-andee-photography.html

Any of those appeal to you?
February 25, 2013 at 10:54PM   
PRO
February 25, 2013 at 10:58PM   
dragonflii32
Driftwood hurrican suggested is beautiful and would mix well with other similar plain recycled glass hurricanes and candles: or is that too much like Vases?
Other wise that Kazu Dragon sculpture would be enugh detail without being busy.
Art in a tall frame and a medium-small scuplture on the mantel.
I would like to see some smaller metallic items around the base of the fireplace too. I don't like clutter either but I think it is missing a homely feel.
Not too sold on the cushions on the dark sofa...? Could they be updated?
February 25, 2013 at 11:52PM   
amycellzey
Added a few things....thanks to the inspiration from my Houzz friends.
March 12, 2013 at 8:10PM   
amycellzey
A couple different view.
March 12, 2013 at 8:15PM     
bevballew
Is the same mirror on each side of the fp? I think it would be more interesting if each mirror was different. The pic is cut off and it is hard to tell what is on the mantle. Your fp is gorgeous. I think you need a strong good size piece of metal artwork against the gorgeous stone on the mantle but what you have might be nice. Just hard to tell.
March 12, 2013 at 8:22PM   
cmathis
I like your wall color... What is it ?
March 12, 2013 at 8:36PM   
I think the fireplace stonework is beautiful, and is art itself, especially with the light to illuminate it. I also think a beautiful, colorful tall blown glass object would be nice on the fireplace that isn't too heavy to obstruct the view of the stone.
March 12, 2013 at 8:52PM   
bevballew
That sounds gorgeous too!
March 12, 2013 at 9:08PM   
carolins
Yep, loving what you've chosen. That bench as a coffee table is gorgeous. Something like that adds so much character to a room. Thumbs up! Also the funky cushions and the side tables... nice :-)
Are you happy with it? I do like what you've placed on the fireplace. Especially the round artwork speaks to me.

@bevballew: if you hover over the pictures with your mouse they will enlarge and you'll be able to see the entire shot
March 13, 2013 at 12:13AM   
amycellzey
Caroline, I do love it so much more but it's still not where I want it to be. I don't like the pillow on the left chair, but it came with the couch so trying to like it. The orange table may be replaced with something similar, it's just a garden table I found at Marshall's. the items on the mantel were all things I had at home, I like it, but will always be searching for a piece of art. While I would prefer to have the pottery barn piece you suggested in front of my windows, he trunk was something I had in storage.
March 13, 2013 at 5:23AM   
carolins
Ah... but you are well on the way to make it your own now. You'll find the items you love. You have really good taste. And I do like the trunk :-)
March 13, 2013 at 6:11AM     
soberg
Beautiful fireplace with a nicely scaled and positioned niche. Whatever you do, the mantel/niche area must be your only focal point on that wall, so the starburst object to the right must move elsewhere (if it doesn't fit in the niche).
March 13, 2013 at 6:16AM     
PRO
Angelina Vick
The space looks gorgeous and warm. =)
March 13, 2013 at 11:21AM   
Cathy Welman_Nolan
I love the extra pieces you've added - the side tables are interesting and gorgeous, and the scatter cushions bring in just the right touches of colour. The sculptural pieces above the fireplace look amazing. But I do feel that the bench is a bit narrow for the middle of the room. Have you tried it under the windows?
March 13, 2013 at 11:50AM   
amycellzey
A couple new additions for my room....fun blankets from TJ Max.
March 22, 2013 at 7:45PM   
Ann
Beautiful room and I like what you've done on the hearth. I'd move the two blue vases just a little to the left - I think they're a little too centered under the sun mirror.
March 22, 2013 at 7:58PM     
carolins
I like :-) See that you've still got the brown pillow in the left chair? (Have to say that I really like the pillows in the right one. Daring combination with the chair fabric, but it works.)
What if you put a different colour throw behind the brown pillow? That could work.
March 23, 2013 at 1:22AM   
amycellzey
I've been looking for a pillow exchange, just haven't found the right one yet. But the brown will go. I may try to put the orange throw behind the brown pillow until I am able to find a replacement.
March 23, 2013 at 6:37AM     
PRO
Letitia Holloway
Check into Bethieb.com it's the pillow heaven - all custom at amazing pricing. Just leave it to her, she can help you asap. For 25 years I have had to agonize over pillows for my clients. Not any more!!! She and her mother are amazing.
March 23, 2013 at 6:41AM   
Lisa Carlisle
I too am a minimalist. The wonderful rock center with art shelf and light is your focal point. The two side star mirrors are stealing the show, and the armchair locations compete with your rock wall as well. I would get JUL313's bold contemporary piece at the center of your art wall above the fireplace and lose the star mirrors and accessories. The furniture could be updated to play off the colors in the art. Then restage your furniture: loveseat 3 feet away from hearth, facing center, with the two chairs across to face the love, slightly angled togward the other. Your wonderful reach lamp can base at the far corner of either chair or love to hang over a sleek coffee table that has high and bold accessories that marry well to the art at the rock. This will drive the eye to honor the wonderful rock focal point, and give a sense of rest and welcome with the furniture facing each other so when seated, the rock is to your side. (U-shape format; Love, Fireplace, Chairs).
March 23, 2013 at 6:54AM   
blakeahart
Love what you've done with the room! You really do have a great space. That stone fireplace is great! But, if you are in need of anything else, I also suggest shopping at west elm, they have some great items that would really suit your taste. Here's some more suggestions.... Good luck!
March 23, 2013 at 8:23AM   
blakeahart
More items
March 23, 2013 at 8:24AM     
blakeahart
And some more!
March 23, 2013 at 8:24AM