Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Window Coverings
jasjes
February 24, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I am having a hard time deciding on window coverings for my great room. And kitchen. they are a joining rooms. See attached photo.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yvesun
Keeping with the bright green in the kitchen I would hang bright yellow curtains see attached image. This particular one is from Pottery Barn and in the Living room I would add some dimensions with pattern on the curtain, pix #2,
February 24, 2013 at 7:37PM     
jasjes
Yvesun, do you think the contrast in curtain colors will be okay since these rooms but up to one another, and what do you think of the curtains in the photo I posted.
February 24, 2013 at 8:03PM   
jasjes
Oh and what about the windows towards the ceiling? I need to cover the gap the window shades have between the shade and the top of he window?
February 24, 2013 at 8:05PM   
lefty47
HI -- The window coverings should hang from the ceiling line - 96 inch long drape panels . The upper windows are called Transom windows. The upper and lower windows should be treated as one. When all windows can be viewed , window coverings should be the same kind and color but can be made in differant styles . eg: drape panels in living room w/romans in the kitchen.
February 24, 2013 at 8:19PM     
jasjes
Great idea and thank you for the letting me know the technical word for those windows. I have one other issue though and that is I need to cover the gap between where the head of the window frame is and shade. There is a 2 inch gap. Should I hang a valance all the away across the transom windows?
February 24, 2013 at 8:33PM   
jasjes
Oops I forgot to add if I treat all the windows as two how do I address the same problem I have on the transom windows to the lower larger windows?
February 24, 2013 at 8:36PM   
Nik Ira
Where to get interesting roll on's for the glass door?
February 24, 2013 at 8:40PM   
lefty47
HI -- You can get a thin valance that will match the blinds to finish off and cover that gap. They clip or stick on.
February 24, 2013 at 8:45PM     
jasjes
Do you know I can get those? Thank you so much for the advice.
February 24, 2013 at 8:46PM   
PRO
Aegean Designing Whims
I also think drapery panels would tie your rooms together. I'd look for co-ordinating fabrics, one with a print and one either solid or geometric as advised above. Looking for fabrics can be fun and frustrating. I'd go to a designer with fabrics in the showroom, and see what excites you. Chrysteen
February 24, 2013 at 8:59PM     
ddrc
have seen windows like this. very nice with lots of light. the top window should not have any thing on them. the light should always be there. daughter has the white wood blinds with 1 inch slats. in the
kitchen she uses yellow sheer vallances over the top. her windows go down close to the floor.
the family room off from the kitchen has windows across the back of the room. had proffessional make
curtains from ceiling down to the floor and it made the room look smaller and too much material. she
threw them away after two years and just uses the blinds. i like your windows on both sides of the
fireplace. the panels would look good yellow or green. color will look great in there.
February 24, 2013 at 9:54PM   
lefty47
HI -- The valances should be at any window covering shops or where you got the blinds from . The blinds should have had the valances included when they were purchased.
February 25, 2013 at 3:25PM   
PRO
Lydia (Kazza Design)
Don't put anything on the upper windows.....that would be way too many curtains everywhere!
February 25, 2013 at 3:37PM   
PRO
Julie Thome Draperies, Inc.
I don't see why you can't do one long valance/cornice board in that room with 2 pair of drapery panels underneath. I would mount the valance/cornce up to the ceiling.
February 25, 2013 at 5:31PM   
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.