powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Choosing Paint Colors is Making Me Lose My Hair!
lindsaymcc
February 24, 2013 in Design Dilemma
My husband and I are trying to find new paint colors for our condo. We want something fairly neutral. We currently have oak trim but are thinking of changing it to white.

We love Benjamin Moore Revere Pewter (on paper), but we've painted splotches on our wall in several locations and it looks blue! (see picture - its more blue in person). I've heard this is a great color that works almost everywhere. I don't understand why it looks so different on our walls than on paper. I know lighting and all that, but it's different in both the natural light and with our lighting! We've tried several other samples and aren't loving any of those either (Hot Spring Stones, Rich Cream). I dont want to keep spending money on samples that arent working!

I'm not sure if it's having the Revere Pewter by the oak that is causing the blue tones? Any insights or suggestions would be appreciated! Our granite by our fireplace has tans/browns/blacks in it so it needs to match with that.

I'm so stressed by this, I'm tempted to paint the whole place white and forget it! :(
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Lynda
Maybe the blue wall is reflecting off of it? Or have you tried it on a wall that is farther away?
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 7:36PM
lindsaymcc
Yes, we tried it in two spots in our hallway (all of the hallway is the beige color) and it has the same blue tint. :/
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 7:38PM
Lkristine
Try Tree Moss, Benjamin Moore.
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 7:43PM
PRO
ASVInteriors
I do agree that clearly this colour is very sensitive to its surroundings - I cannot see any blue tints on my monitor so it doesn't make sense that it is coming up blue. However, instead of you slowly painting the house sample pot by sample pot,ask your paint supplier to show you what the base make up of the paint is (sometimes called a "spectogram" - sorry I am not in the US so don't know the term there). If the base has blues in it (even a small amount), that will answer your question why it shows up blue. You need to ask them to show pewters made up from colour bases with yellow ochre - which will counteract any blue tints in your home. This will probably be the range of colours you need to choose from. However, let them give you advice.
All the best in your project.
1 Like   February 25, 2013 at 7:40AM
More Discussions
Thoughts on the new Bosch Benchmark appliances
We are in the process of remodeling our kitchen and...
Close to pulling all my hair out. HELP PLEASE!
I'm not sure which countertop to go with between two...
How do I decorate this entry way?
Not really sure what to do here. House is transitional....
Need help with kitchen upgrade
We put in this kitchen in 10 yrs ago thinking we would...
Exterior staircase face lift. Can any one help me?
Can anyone help me design the right stair case for...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.