Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Help with the floors
mrmoony
February 25, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I am in the process of redoing my kitchen and have ignored the fact that my floors have a peachy and green color in them. It is throwing the whole room off and I can't replace them. Any ideas???
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
ASVInteriors
If you can't replace them, then I am afraid it is cover up with a carpet!.

At least in your dining room area you could get a large rectangular one that extends nearly to your doors and covers most of the non-kitchen area. I would go for a light colour though as your room is so dark

I believe the US is better equipped for selling kitchen carpets so I would recommend you use those.

I am sure other Houzzers will have some good ideas, but this seems the most pragmatic given your constraints.
February 25, 2013 at 4:36am   
PRO
Engrav's Decorating
Everything you have done is beautiful. I assume you have new cabinets, countertops, table, lighting and window treatments?
What you have here is dark and rich done in cool colors. Your floor is in the warm family and it conflicts with all you have done if my assumptions are right. I would save up for a new floor and in the meantime, use area rugs to cover the floors up until your budget allows for new flooring.
February 25, 2013 at 5:08am     
mrmoony
Thank you.
I am still in the process of refinishing my counters. I now need to figure out what to get for a backsplash. Any ideas?
February 26, 2013 at 3:34am   
PRO
ProSource Wholesale
You haven't done your backsplash yet? Here is an opportunity to come up with a backsplash design that will make your floor and the rest of your choices blend.
February 26, 2013 at 4:18am   
michigammemom
mrmoony, I'm not sure if the colors are correct in your photos, but it looks like your curtains are purple/plum and your dining chairs are dark brown. I would suggest a window treatment that incorporates your floor tile colors. I also recommend a simple shade or valance above your sink as opposed to the counter length curtains.
February 26, 2013 at 4:25am   
christinecreighton
Can't see the tile very well but perhaps repainting the walls to tie the colour to the floor might be an affordable/easy option to reduce the conflict. The same holds true for the curtain panels. Perhaps you could pick up on the green tone with a hit of the colour that is in the upholstered chairs. I would look for panels with a grommeted top which would allow for 2 panels at the small side window and 2 for the patio door.
February 26, 2013 at 4:30am   
DIAspoton
continue to ignore them until the budget allows new. add light color rugs as ASV suggested.
now what you can do on a budget for impact ;

replace the window treatments in both area with white. (or a contemporary geometric pattern , mostly white and carmel to go with your walls if that doesn't fight the floor too much).

the chandelier looks too dark for the area. spray painting it white and adding light beaded mini shades would be an easy, inexpensive fix.

keep the dining table set with white or light patterned china and gleaming flatware. a better centerpiece would be a large glass, ceramic container full of lemons.

backsplash : bring a few samples home. stainless steel subway tile would be pretty. colorless glass.
a budget friendly idea i've heard works well are the embossed panels made to look like
old tin.
February 26, 2013 at 4:55am     
Vivian Rase
Oh my. If you cant replace them the only option would be to add a fairly large rug under your table and chairs in the colors you're working with and also a larger than normal rug in the kitchen area. It doesn't look as bad to me as you describe, but if it bothers you and you truly can't replace them then that is the only option I see. Meanwhile, I'd save my pennies and try to do hardwood at some point if you plan to live there for a long time.
February 26, 2013 at 5:16am