Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
I need help decorating my livingroom
rivergirl143
February 25, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I want it to be contempary but it feels cold.....
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
4isablessing
You added another photo in a different post. You can add a sofa table behind this big long couch.
1 Like   February 25, 2013 at 5:28AM
PRO
Dytecture
Yes, there are 3 posts with the same room dilemma
0 Likes   February 25, 2013 at 6:01AM
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
I agree with the people above. It isn't cold as much as unfinished. The sofa table will break up that room from the rest. It also gives you space to add art. The room is in need of art. This will add the finished touch you are missing.
4 Likes   February 25, 2013 at 6:05AM
kellis1977
I think a rug would help you to finish your space. You are off to a great start!
17 Likes   February 25, 2014 at 9:32AM
megen20
Curtains, carpet larger photo ..
7 Likes   February 25, 2014 at 10:40AM
PRO
Ashley Malowaniuk
Texture.

You need a nice - bold - area rug to swish your toes in, and some curtains with tie-backs.
Make sure the area rug you choose is not too small. You will need it to go underneath the front legs of every piece of "defining furniture" (couches and chairs). Don't go past the pieces, and don't stop short. You will risk an odd feeling of too big or too small.

You might need a custom rug from a broadloom carpet company because of the size. It will keep your cost down and you will have a thousand options! Keep in mind that you will also need a non-slip pad when you order the carpet, though.
7 Likes   February 25, 2014 at 12:02PM
decoenthusiaste
Casegoods like the sofa table, and perhaps a credenza under the piece of art will start to make a difference. Mock roman shades mounted inside and with the top portion of the windows left open will also warm and soften the space.
0 Likes   February 25, 2014 at 12:10PM
PRO
Warner Decor
Hi! Looks like you have a nice place! I think I would first add curtains to bring some warmth to the area:
http://deciture.com/shop/decor/7/jensen-curtain-panel/ (might match your blue chairs)
http://deciture.com/shop/decor/9/suzani-print-curtain/
5 Likes   February 25, 2014 at 12:35PM
nicmic
I would have the two couches facing each other, and the two chairs facing the fire place. That might open up the space. And I miss curtains and house plants!
14 Likes   February 25, 2014 at 12:39PM
liam_boyle_interiors
Looking at the images, I really like this space it has plenty of potential. I agree with the comments, this room looks unfinished rather than cold but it wouldn't take much to finish it off.

Window treatments; there seem to be a lot of windows in this space and I feel they just need something to bring them into the room. Either a form of some slatted blinds or some light curtains.

Some art work on the bare wall space.
3 Likes   February 25, 2014 at 2:21PM
alisonheppell
Need curtains and perhaps a rug
2 Likes   February 25, 2014 at 2:27PM
PRO
Shiner Studios LLC
I understand your concern. Perhaps adding color to your walls, accent wall, or a cool metallic finish to lean into more of the "contemporary" you are seeking.
1 Like   February 25, 2014 at 10:52PM
PRO
L GIFTS art&design
Hi, What about to add one or two warm original details to your interior? Examples how such details change cold view please find: http://www.artgifts-shop.com/interior-accessories/unique-set-for-interior-hand-felted-pouf-floor-pillow-beanbag-decorative-pillow-detail

Also I do not see lighting solutions: Wise different lighting orientated in different zones are "must have" in all good done interiors. Original torchere could help bring more warm and individuality to interior.

Agree with earlier comments : rug and windows decorating is needed.

Hope it will be helpful :)
3 Likes   February 25, 2014 at 11:21PM
chemayne
Adding some red to your existing pillow collection, lumbar pillow in blue chairs and the other to the sofas. A red tray and mercury vases to hold all on the coffee table are some ideas to warm up the space.
Red Suzani Lumbar Pillow
Duralee Red Greek Key Pillow
Rectangular Tray, Red
Euryl Mercury Glass Vases Set of 2
4 Likes   February 26, 2014 at 12:55AM
Lisa Rogers
You need a rug that has some sort of design and texture to it, the windows look naked. Greenery in corner and vase on table look dwarfed compared to the overall space, artwork could be more colorful and pillows could be punched up with almost any color. Agree with Chemayne that red can really do the trick, but it can be mixed with anything.
1 Like   February 26, 2014 at 4:48AM
stryker
Avoid anything small or spindly, like the wrought iron things or the round end table. Heavier, bigger pieces will make the space feel more grounded. Put a console table under the painting to the right of the fireplace, something that has a lot of wood, chunky, but with contemporary lines. Wood always warms up a space. Add a rug in the seating area to tie it together. I like the shape of the blue chairs, but not the color. Red would be better. I don't think you should do window treatments.
1 Like   February 26, 2014 at 5:11AM
leelee
That TV is ridiculously high!

Add some tall full palms near the windows.
2 Likes   February 26, 2014 at 5:29AM
decoenthusiaste
rivergirl143 never responded to the comments offered February 25, 2013. Cease & desist!
3 Likes   February 26, 2014 at 5:36AM
Lara De Dominguez
You can add a nice rug in the living area, wallpaper on the walls & window treatments. Try Graham & Brown Wall papers... you can always ask for samples before ordering.
0 Likes   February 26, 2014 at 5:52AM
leeanneemig
Looks like you have a really good start. I would suggest adding some fabulous window treatments, a large area rug and some accessories with sparkle.
1 Like   February 26, 2014 at 6:19AM
h2oville
You need a mantel to divide tv and fireplace; consider having a small concrete one made, or match your floor. Rug is needed.
1 Like   February 26, 2014 at 6:29AM
2lori
On the left and right of the tv/fireplace long and large bold art, from the art pull a color and why not try a leather shag rug, that being said if color is not your thing try this idea in in a quiet more neutral color. If you do try bold and colorful regarding the art, think outside of the box regarding subject matter, I find scenic such as shown to be more traditional and just doesn't have that pop factor. I have a leather shag, love the texture of it, not going to lie though not the nicest on the feet. It does give a wow factor though to the floor.
0 Likes   February 26, 2014 at 6:31AM
PRO
Affordable Chic
You have a great space! Stationary drapery panels, area rug and more accessories/wall art. Putting stone or tile on the fireplace wall would also make a nice design statement.
Groupings on your coffee table, larger wall art with small table under left of the fireplace and maybe changing out the small plant in the corner to a larger tree. Hope that helps.
1 Like   February 26, 2014 at 6:45AM
marilyv
The Tv is too big in proportion with the fireplace. Tv too high. Needs a mantle.
1 Like   February 26, 2014 at 7:33AM
cb0021
Red full length drapes, cream and red rug, 2-3 red patterned throw pillows maybe with hint of light blue from chairs. Rug needs to be large enough to go under chairs and sofa.
0 Likes   February 26, 2014 at 7:41AM
stardesign01
Your space is contemporary, just not warm. You have a great start with your large furniture selections, now you need to soften and warm it up with these tips. Introduce; 1 lrg area rug that fits the whole sitting area (at least the 2 front legs of your furniture pcs much sit on top of the new area rug), curtains, purchase larger coffee table accessories OR group your similar small accessories together to create a bigger impact, replace the small table under the picture with a larger/weightier console table, introduce more curves to soften your area by replacing your rectangular art work with a round piece and curvy vases, place a sofa table behind your couch to create a better separation from the open space, IF there is a spot-introduce a table or floor light fixture with curves. I hope this helps
1 Like   February 26, 2014 at 7:46AM
jlusrey
Great ideas! I have seen rooms that have pops of color but I have found that I prefer diffused pops, such as subtle pops in a pillow or picture or vase but not as overpowering as bright color pillows, etc.
0 Likes   February 26, 2014 at 8:20AM
Angie Schuster
Nobody has mentioned the coffee table accessories, and I personally think they are too small and colorless for the space. Maybe pile large colorful books on one section, a short but chunky sculpture on another, etc.
1 Like   February 26, 2014 at 8:44AM
Brooke W
I agree with what others have said - a sofa table, coffee table accessories - how about a large tray or shallow bowl? Also, it really needs something on the windows like curtains or roman blinds (bamboo?). Also, the wall art on the far left of the panoramic photo should be larger. Add more art too, consider a wall collage, even if it's a small one.
1 Like   February 26, 2014 at 8:54AM
lizthehomedesigner
you need color with some accessories and pillow. And a rug that covers all your sitting area.
I also suggest curtains and table lights behind the sofa
0 Likes   February 26, 2014 at 8:57AM
decoenthusiaste
2013 post, dead thread
1 Like   February 26, 2014 at 8:57AM
dandyandy
Hi
I would paint the TV wall a deep red (similar to your throw blanket); invest in a black and wihite area rug, and put roman shades in a striped pattern.(they could be faux)...maybe soft greys and whites.
You could put 2 sofa tables on either side of the fireplace with a matching lamp on either side with a fairly full base in a light grey with white shades. I agree your accessories on the coffee table are small and in need of a larger piece with some weight to it.
Good luck, Anne
0 Likes   February 26, 2014 at 8:57AM
PRO
2B Design
The paint color is cold. Contrary to popular opinion, beige or taupe is not warm. Your wood floor is very strong and is dominating the room. You need some strong color(s) on the walls to balance and compliment the floor.
Area rug for sure.
Window coverings won't change much. Don't waste your time/money.
0 Likes   February 26, 2014 at 9:00AM
judybath
OK. First you need to paint. The paint color you have on the walls looks dead. You can stay neutral but get some paint with life, I suggest Ralph Lauren Raffia for the walls and Oatmeal for the trim. Still neutral but with a color depth that will provide the warm underlayer for the room. Next you need a rug. Find something you love. I am partial to orientals and they are very well priced right now as everyone is going modern. They are especially good in a cold gray climate like Seattle and can be swapped out with your mood. Even if you go neutral with your rug which is a definite must, the room needs pillows. I would not go with bright red or even deep red in this room but drift to warm instead of punching it as you seem to like the neutrals. Go with fewer pillows but bigger (20 inch square) and pick up the colors in your sailboat picture. To warm it up use warm colors although I am tempted to go with a deeper blue to echo the color in your two chairs. This Corbett stripe ikat pillow from pottery barn would liven up the space. http://ab.pbimgs.com/pbimgs/ab/images/dp/wcm/201405/0061/img95j.jpg
The architecture of the room is big and bold so you need some strong accents to support the look. Lose whatever it is under the sailboat picture and put an accent table that has some character and strong features. Maybe a demilune? Last but not least let us see who you are and what you like. Other than the sailboat there is nothing to indicate your personality. Go to auctions, antique stores, pottery barn, west elm, crate and barrel, look at magazines and think about you and what you like, then find something that speaks to you and put it in your room to make you feel happy and at home. That is the most important part of decorating. Give yourself a warm feeling.
0 Likes   February 26, 2014 at 9:30AM
michwilltwo
Art would help warm up the room and a comtempory wool rug to define the space
0 Likes   February 26, 2014 at 9:36AM
jasmina555
I would use paprika color curtains for windows to worm it up, some orange tone on pillows, and definitively rearrange two sofas and chairs. Sofas should be placed across each other with chairs facing the fireplace. Under the painting I would use narrow sofa table with simple lines and add some books and table lamp to create worm atmosphere in the evening hours.
The rug is a must, possibly simple with geometric pattern to add visual interest. Good luck!
0 Likes   February 26, 2014 at 9:44AM
tamaralevans
Add carpet, drapes, change the furniture orientation (couched facing each other), change the paint on the tv/fireplace section of the wall the a warmer & darker color or put ledger stone on it.
0 Likes   February 26, 2014 at 10:01AM
sharonkaylenewalkerburns
Plants and side drapes would appeal to the eye. A few small tapestries might help the acoustics. I would flip the couches so that the view is the focal point. Sofa table would display a few treasures without clutter. Great space. Play with it until it feels right. You will know.
0 Likes   February 26, 2014 at 10:05AM
idonttwantone
What a great start in your room! Lots of good ideas presented already, but I would add that the room is not cold to me, it is just not intimate. The coffee table almost seems to push people away from one another. An area rug could pull them in . . . what about a table that you can see through, a narrower design, or smaller multiples to decrease the chasm? And texture, texture, texture rather than more color from a person who gets agitated by lots of color. One last comment, I don't see "you" in the room - what do you love and where is it?
0 Likes   February 26, 2014 at 10:19AM
yodecoro
You could add pillows in different sizes, colors, and texture- it would liven up the space while keeping It modern, and some fresh flowers on the table to liven it up more
0 Likes   February 26, 2014 at 11:10AM
idonttwantone
oops, the one place where you might consider adding color, texture, and pattern is in a rug.
0 Likes   February 26, 2014 at 11:19AM
stryker
A couch needs to face the TV. Not because that would be more aesthetically pleasing, but for comfort when watching the tube. Function over style. Style can be gotten other ways anyhow.

Are there floor plugs? Lamps, either floor or table, somewhere in the seating area could help brighten and warm the space up.
0 Likes   February 26, 2014 at 12:09PM
PRO
Ferris Zoe Design
don't know if you have a theme in mind, but anything can be made warmer with color. i think you have beautiful pieces and a great looking floor. my feeling is that the walls are too cool in color, including the fireplace section, and if you can find another place for the TV, i think it would look better than above the fireplace. if you want to keep it where it is, take a look at youtube and see how you can make your own picture frame for the tv, and put a screen saver on it that you can change whenever the mood strikes you. i just put this image together quickly to give you an idea what all these suggestions will look like in your room. the 2nd picture is one i did for a client with the tv picture frame idea- the tv is to the right of the fireplace
1 Like   February 26, 2014 at 1:38PM
barbra123
I stayed super sleek and monochromatic and modern... then added in lots of pops of color with accessories and pillows, art, etc. It went from pretty, yet cold, to warm and fun and inviting. And everything can be changed out when the mood strikes you!
1 Like   February 26, 2014 at 2:50PM
PRO
Mohairs & More
How about adding the color as suggested often above with a Mohair throw blanket. Here are a few ideas from our 'Everyday Luxury' ( http://mohairsandmore.com/100-everyday-luxury-mohair-throw-blankets/ ) and Plaid collections ( http://mohairsandmore.com/designer-check-throws-in-mohair/ )
0 Likes   February 26, 2014 at 5:32PM
slhawthorne
I would make the couches all the same colour and get a beautiful cream rug
0 Likes   February 26, 2014 at 6:58PM
docline
try using warm colors... that is, repaint the house with warm beautiful colors that blend in.
0 Likes   February 27, 2014 at 2:52AM
decoenthusiaste
Dead Thread resurrected from 2/24/2013
0 Likes   February 27, 2014 at 4:37AM
patrice1484
It's not clear, from your photos, what kind of design you like. The sofas and chairs are contemporary as is the artwork, but the cushions are a mixture of different design styles.
Do you like eclectic design, mixing traditional patterns with the cleaner lines of contemporary, or do you want a purer contemporary look? If you have a look at the cushions from Pier 1 and pick out those designs that you like most, you'll begin to crystallize your own preferences.

Also look at the colour combinations in the cushions. The blue chairs will need to be the dominant colour in the room, unless you paint your walls a different colour. Limes and aquas can bring a freshness to the space, harmonising with the blue chairs. Alternatively, on the other side of the colour wheel from your blue is mid orange. Choosing a paler shade of an orange colour would bring contrasting warmth to the room.

As others have suggested, a large area rug in the conversation grouping could bring a number of colours into play. RugsUSA.com may give you some ideas; look at Oriental Weavers Caspian Outdoor 8327 Ivory Rug Item #: 1328327L-P, Kaleen Habitat Outdoor Buoy Sand Rug Item #: 122210529-P, Kaleen Khazana Portal Glacier Rug Item #: 122656542-P for inspiration. If you use a large patterned rug, keep your window dressings plain or small patterned. If the gable end wall's windows are symmetrical (can't tell from your photo), straight curtains x 4 with or without a pelmet would look great and give the room softness.

Please find another position for your TV! The TV and the fireplace are each focal points for the room and fight with each other. What about hiding your TV in an interesting cabinet with retractable doors?

Good luck.
1 Like   February 27, 2014 at 10:39AM
PRO
Lori Dennis, ASID, LEED AP
if you just added window treatments, you'd warm it up. :)
0 Likes   February 27, 2014 at 10:42AM
poeticmoma
Would love a few pictures of rooms in your home you like and those that adjoin the space - even the view out the wall of windows is relevant. That's where I would draw inspiration for color, maybe you already have and that'w why you have the neutrals with the sky blue. Perhaps a touch of green, a subtle green would make the layering more interesting. Or a darker slate blue. The reds are quite strong and it doesn't sound like you like the sharp contrast.

Next, I would face the couches opposite one another. In the photo above, as you walk in the room you are hit with the back of the couch and it is like a wall preventing you from entering. A table behind it will only add to the wall. See the post up 2 - how the view to the fireplace is inviting, you are pulled in.

Walls - paint or paper the fireplace wall. Balance out the blue chairs with the wall color - similar color, but definitely the same intensity ( a bit darker than a pastel). The TV looks awful - sorry, because it looks like you moved it there, but it is overpowering and really takes away from the pull of the fireplace. If you swap out the couches like I mention above, can you make the TV focal point on the wall opposite the fireplace? The chairs are easily swiveled around if you need to. Just a thought. The fp wall needs some interest - a mantle, can the wall be cut back to create transition? If you step back and look at the wall as you have it you have 3 large rectangles that don't make a statement, they are just distracting to each other, so the artwork on the right should be swapped out.

I would love a paneled curtain that you can push in-between the windows when not in use. Maybe that slate blue in a silk or velvet, something rich and warming to the room. Nothing too fussy or your eye will be drawn to the curtains rather than the view.

So...until I see what is in the rest of the room and adjacent rooms, I will wait to comment on shelves or additional furniture. I would also wait on accessories until you love the rest of the room. Forgot to say yes to a rug! Also, you really need to tell us what you use the room for and what you don't use it for - ex. don't need storage for games as we have a game table in the next room.

Good luck!
0 Likes   February 27, 2014 at 11:37AM
snich33
The area in the first photo seems to cramped and you need to change the wall colour.
0 Likes   February 27, 2014 at 1:14PM
PRO
The Clay Team - Looking Glass Realty
I see so many wonderful people reaching to help other peopleā€¦.but in this case, has anyone noticed that the post is from February 2013???? Not sure this is legit any more and hate to see people wasting their time.
1 Like   February 27, 2014 at 2:14PM
kellis1977
probably bc its posted twice.
0 Likes   February 27, 2014 at 3:03PM
Carolyn Szoke
The room is really lovely and I like your color choice. It does need drama. Covering the fireplace wall right around the corners with a stone Veneer would be dramatic, adding a mantle would also help . This Stone should echo the soft beige and blues of your furniture and boldly cover the entire wall from ceiling to floor. Previous suggestions were on the mark. Move the sofas so they face each other and the two chairs face the fireplace. Add a soft, thick modern rug under the coffee-table. The windows are wonderful so you don't want to compromise the natural light, however they offer the opportunity of warming up the space by adding some color. I would find some geometric or other graphic patterned material that includes a dark brown,blues and beiges to make curtain panels as well as three large cushions. Find a related fabric to make the lumbar cushions for the two chairs. A beefy wooden console table behind one of the sofas with a lamp at either end would add weight to the room. The size of the coffee table demands something low and Weighty, maybe in a brown color with orange details. Sizable art for your walls bringing in the colors of brown orange blue and beige would also set off the picture. Two bright orange pillows for the sofa and a spot of something orange on the console table would also liven up the scene. I don't mean to sound too bossy but I've had some fun with this good luck!
0 Likes   February 27, 2014 at 5:34PM
PRO
nls creations, inc.
You can add warmth to any room by adding softening elements; i.e.rug; window treatments, preferably fabric draperies, not shades; more plants and a taller one in the corner; books on the coffee table; pillows on the furniture. These are easy doable suggestions that do not involve replacing furniture but instead adding a few touches that really will make a difference.
0 Likes   February 27, 2014 at 7:16PM
hamiltongero
I agree with all the comments, particularly re art and plants. It's a beautiful room, you just need to finish it off. Once you decide on what to do re the area rug (a neutral tone with a punch of colour would be nice and keep the base monochromatic tone) a bunch of colourful and interesting accent cushions would also be nice. I echo the comment about having the sofas facing each other and the chairs at the end, the airiness of the room seems to be lost with the tight furniture arrangement and needs to be loosened up a bit (you may also want to add a bit more space between the furniture and the table). A nice side table could go between the two chairs if the furniture is spread out more. I realize this last comment may not be popular but if possible, I'd lose or relocate the flat screen - based on the photo it is the centre point of the room and it would so nice to have a favourite piece of art there which pulls together your accent colours.
0 Likes   February 28, 2014 at 5:11AM
hamiltongero
Forgot....custom (to fit your things and look interesting) floor to ceiling shelves on both sides of the fireplace would add depth, interest and maybe provide an alternative home for the flat screen.
0 Likes   February 28, 2014 at 5:15AM
hebatalla1987
You need another colorful paint and nice colored simple curtins.
0 Likes   February 28, 2014 at 6:53AM
hebatalla1987
You also can buy a chair with pattern or repaint the area with warmer color
0 Likes   February 28, 2014 at 6:56AM
prithvisonijaipur
change only wall colors in florocent look.
0 Likes   March 1, 2014 at 10:52PM
deiman
Does anyone notice no one is responding to this.
1 Like   March 2, 2014 at 3:03AM
rocketjcat
The OP was from feb 2013, and was somehow resurrected. Zombie post. OP has moved on. Give up.
0 Likes   March 2, 2014 at 4:29AM
Dixie Landers
I would try layering. You have nice 'stuff', just could be ramped up: Put a throw, tablecloth, runner or other narrow fabric on square coffee table, same on a wooden sofa table added behind the sofa in the front of the image. On top of that, use a tray or mirror as a tray to corral and group together some of the small items on the coffee table. Add the rug as suggested by others. A Warm-color of paint on the wall or walls, something that contrasts with the color of those pretty blue chairs; pick up a color from spaces beyond this (maybe a burnt umber, pale gold, or even something in the tan/brown family?
0 Likes   March 2, 2014 at 11:15AM
reils4
Sofa table, area rug, bigger bolder pillows and maybe a large tray in the middle of the coffee table with a big ceramic bowl or some pots/ or plant ...the table looks too sparse. It's still pretty though ;-)
0 Likes   March 2, 2014 at 11:29AM
Christina Tincher
paint your coffee table. I would find a stencil to pattern it or canvas it with some fun material that coordinated with the throw pillows. better way to add art when you have limited wall space.
0 Likes   March 5, 2014 at 5:31AM
Pam Bohanon
First add some window coverings such as honeycombs to absorb the sound and provide protection to your fabrics.
0 Likes   March 5, 2014 at 11:43AM
11ennesa
Adding a rug and curtains would definitely help make it seem warmer. If you still want it to look fresh and clean consider sticking to solid colors and going with maybe a dark gray rug and curtains. A decorative curtain rod might help make it not seem too overdone or maybe some blinds. If you want to stick to the arrangement maybe consider putting a longer table with some picture frames and a plant on it and have that behind the couch facing the fireplace?
0 Likes   March 12, 2014 at 7:46PM