Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Kitchen window coverings
ann
February 25, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Three different types of windows! Valences, Roman shades? Cover all? Some? Tried to show whole wall that windows are on. Thanks for suggestions!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
AMN
Is the window on the side in the dining room shoved right into the corner or is there some space to the right of the window?

What are your needs regarding window treatments? Do you need them for privacy or for looks?

Depending on your answers, You could put drape panels on the slider and a complementary roman on the kitchen window and side dining room. You could do drape panel(s) on the side window too, but it might be a bit cluttered with the window in the corner. You could do romans on all. It's up to you, as long as whatever you choose works well.
February 25, 2013 at 5:49am   
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
We need to know which windows have privacy issues and which have sun problems.
February 25, 2013 at 5:52am   
ann
This is all the kitchen. No privacy concerns, afternoon sun, not concerned about that. Need mostly for looks and to "warm up" room. Thanks.
February 25, 2013 at 5:54am   
ann
The left hand window does not have room for a panel on the right side.
February 25, 2013 at 5:55am   
PRO
You could put a rod above the patio doors at near ceiling height and hang stationary panels on each side of the doors. For the other dining room window, you could mount a roman valance at the same height as the panels and have the valance fall to just cover the wood at the top of the window.
Repeat the valances in the kitchen if you wish.

Since there is no privacy or sun issue, this treatment is certainly optional. You might try instead to add warmth to the room with a rug under the dining table. De-cluttering the countertops would help to raise the appeal of your kitchen. Try for no more than 3 items on each side of the counter.
February 25, 2013 at 8:24am     
ann
Thank you Carolyn. I think I might just want to do Roman shades on all the windows. I think panels for the kitchen slider might be too fussy. Regarding the counters- I just didn't clean up!
February 25, 2013 at 12:59pm   
PRO
You're welcome, Ann. A roman shade on the patio doors just seems too big to me. But, as I also mentioned, I think it would all be fine with no window treatments.
February 25, 2013 at 5:46pm   
Susan H
What if you did upholstered valences/cornices like this?
February 25, 2013 at 6:00pm   
tennisanyone
I love the windows near the sink and would not cover them. I would add panels to the patio door and the window to the left . Remove the small piece of art next to the door and the other window and framing them in will really look nice and add weight to that part of the kitchen. They don't have to be fussy either.
February 25, 2013 at 6:22pm