Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Here I am so far
ann
February 25, 2013 in Before & After
Still need window coverings and paint for walls, also a lamp of some kind on the left
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
ann
Still trying to decide which pillow, and will add a cream pillow as well
February 25, 2013 at 5:57am   
PRO
ASVInteriors
Looking very nice indeed. Definitely need some lovely curtains - given your blue sofa, something with a pattern of white, blue accents, with a yellow tie back might work best to work with the chairs in the foreground
This pattern but in blue and white (sorry I couldn't find what I was looking for)

February 25, 2013 at 6:25am     
PRO
Barnhart Gallery
Aww, those are happy new chairs! The one with the checkered past can move along to a new location. Here are the curtain panels I'd suggest: http://www.halfpricedrapes.com/winter-blue-textured-silk-curtains---drapes.html
February 25, 2013 at 6:26am     
ann
Barnhardt- do you not like my checkered chair, or does it really not go with the room., I love the drape website- but would that be too much blue against my sofa??
February 25, 2013 at 6:44am   
ann
ASV- thanks- love that drape idea...in blue!
February 25, 2013 at 6:45am     
carolins
What a nice room is this. The art works really well in that space. I do like the chequered chair. Gives a nice eclectic touch to the space. Why not the 'old' cushions and add the yellow square ones to those? Could work!
barnhartgallery suggested some very chic curtains, they would be stunning.

Suggestion for a lamp:

Chelsea Sectional Floor Lamp

Or something like this, which I like, but it could perhaps fight with your table lamp behind the sofa. Not sure.
Mariposa Floor Lamp - White
February 25, 2013 at 7:01am   
PRO
Carolyn C. Interior Decorator, Brampton, ON.
Hi Ann. Here are some options for you and these may help you see where you want to go.

I have done it four ways, with different colours on the walls and a very light gray blue on the windows.

I actually think you have done a lovely job and it's just a matter of getting the windows right.

Consider mounting the draperies just below the crown moulding to give you more height.

If you don't want the weight of draperies you could also consider shutters or wood blinds, or a roman blind, shown below.
February 25, 2013 at 1:42pm   
PRO
Wood blinds, also the draperies above are slightly tied back, but they can also hang straight
February 25, 2013 at 1:44pm   
PRO
Here is the room with pale yellow draperies and a soft roman blind and then a shot with lighter blue draperies. My personal feeling is that blue draperies is too much blue.
February 25, 2013 at 1:54pm   
PRO
It's very difficult to see on the screen, but you could also use the deeper yellow that is in the check chair if that's in the rug as well, or the deeper colour in the rug.

It really depends on the look you wish to create. If you want a simply understated elegant room then go with shades of off whites and layer with texture and if you want a more dramatic room pull out some of the rich colours in the rug and chair.

You have a beautiful foundation so there are many options for you. I'm very hesitant to recommend colours because what we are looking at isn't what you are seeing in the room so my purpose is just to show you what affect each choice will have.

Good luck.
February 25, 2013 at 1:59pm   
Manon Floreat
I think I'd consider balloon shades for this traditionally styled room. The advantage of the shades is that you won't have to worry about curtain stack - which means your perfectly placed art piece can stay where it is. If you use panels, I'm afraid there won't be enough room for stack. You can use them alone or layered depending on your privacy/light control needs.

Betsy Burnham

Weston Residence

I see a bit of what looks to be an organgey yellow in your carpet. Perhaps your material selection could incorporate that color or add a dash of it somewhere else in the form of cut flowers or another throw pillow.

You've done a really nice job with your room. I'm sure you'll continue making all the right decisions. Do keep us posted of your prgress if you can.
February 25, 2013 at 2:27pm   
anne dee
Your room is coming along nicely.
If I may make one comment.
What if you move the lamp with the black shade to the table next to the sofa.
For visual balance with the plant on the right.
February 25, 2013 at 2:45pm   
ann
Thank you all! There is a goldy/yellow in the carpet, and I am pulling that put with pillows, the checkered chair and some accessories. I like the look of the shades in Betsy's picture and also the last picture with the cream drapes and shades that Carolyn sent. Alas- my cute blue chairs a re going, too much going on for husband. I bought some plain parsons chairs and will get a stripe slip cover made(I think). Anna- I am getting a floor lamp for that corner.
February 26, 2013 at 5:23am   
ann
Carolyn C- Could you look up my discussion "Unbalanced Bedroom" and comment? Thx!
February 26, 2013 at 5:30am   
PRO
Too bad about the chairs. Why don't you consider a bit more substantial chair like a slipper chair or a tub chair - something a bit more substantial and comfortable for sitting - not these colours, just the style
February 26, 2013 at 11:48am   
PRO
last one, the first one has a great back and that would look lovely from the view the picture was taken from. If it's open to another room then the back is something worth considering
February 26, 2013 at 11:50am   
ann
LOVE! the first chair, but the space is smaller than it appears, and the living room won't be used that much. Maybe I can get a slip cover with a design on the back.
February 26, 2013 at 2:26pm   
PRO
Ann, these chairs are not that big - they are 27 wide x 29 deep - tape it out on the floor if you love them. If that's a full sofa then they should be ok. 27 plus 27 is 54 and that leaves 30 inches for a table if your sofa is 84" long then they will work, especially as your little table is nice and narrow .
February 26, 2013 at 3:39pm   
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.