powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Cabinets Extended Through Dining Or Do Something Else?
gokite
February 25, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Deciding what to do here, would love some external opinions! Extend the cabinets, leave it open for a hutch or something, put in something else...any ideas? See with and without below. Dining area opens to an outdoor area underneath upstairs Master bdrm deck. Windows on kitchen face North.

Sorry about the poor rendering, homestyler software is ok but really not flexible (but it's free)....
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Sarah Stacey Interior Design
Do you find that you need more storage space? If yes, I'd extend the cabinets. You could use that counter as a serving spot as well. Think about using open shelving instead of the cabinets (upper) - the one and two cabinets might seem a little dinky. Also, that is a lot of seating right next to each other. Will you need a dining table with the counter seating right there? Or do you really need all of that counter seating at the island?
February 25, 2013 at 6:26am   
gokite
@Sarah, thank for your response. Do you mean use upper shelving instead of the window?
What do you mean by the "one and two cabinets seem a little dinky"?
For the seating, it's nice to have all the adults at a table together and the kids at the bar during a get together. During regular days, family can eat at the bar/prep island. This is a two-place eating design with the room for each to be used at full capacity. Some homes have three (small bar, small "nook", dining) I do prefer two with both accomodating larger numbers.
February 25, 2013 at 7:01am   
PRO
Sarah Stacey Interior Design
I like the window. I think visually it will be more appealing with open shelving next to the range and the sink. In my opinion, one or two cabinets will seem a little insignificant in the large space. More so since they are the only upper cabinets in the kitchen.
February 25, 2013 at 7:18am   
violinist3713
I would estend the cabinets. That way you're sure you will have enough cabinet space.
February 25, 2013 at 7:43am   
gokite
@sarah and violinist, okay copy that. Any comments as to the type of cabinets? All drawers? All doors with shelves? I am leaning drawers since I hate stooping after opening a door and digging in shelves I can't see what's in there. If there is a door with a pull out shelf, why not just have drawers to open once instead of two moves (open door then pull out shelf)...? Hmm, think I just made my decision...!
February 25, 2013 at 8:10am   
PRO
Dytecture
The dining area seems spacious enough that extending the cabinetry would not be an issue. I agree with having a pull-out drawer built in the face of the cabinet to minimize the number of steps for operation.

February 25, 2013 at 8:47am   
gokite
What do you guys think of a small wall jutting out between the kitchen/dining to define each space and provide an "end" to the upper cabinets?
February 26, 2013 at 8:02am   
PRO
Dytecture
Not necessary as the window and upper cabinets are already defining this eating area.
February 26, 2013 at 8:21am