powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Any suggestions what to do with wall space?
piperdesigns
February 25, 2013 in Design Dilemma
It seems like its missing something. Ive Tried paintings but looks odd next to television.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lynngo45
interesting artwork/wall hangings
0 Likes   February 25, 2013 at 9:42AM
PRO
Barnhart Gallery
Hi piper -- I'd choose tall bookcases or floor mirrors. Cursor over to see.
4 Likes   February 25, 2013 at 9:55AM
PRO
SPKCreative Abstract Art www.spkcreative.com
Hi Piperdesigns,

How about vertical paintings like
or photographs like "Purple Haze" http://www.spkcreative.com/large-multi-view/gallery/1104571-30-89251/Photography/Digital/Floral.html#.USuv0KV9b9Q

Best,
Shari

spkcreative@gmail.com

Shari P Kantor Abstract Art: http://www.spkcreative.com/
SPKCreative Fabric and Wallpaper Line: http://www.spoonflower.com/profiles/spkcreative
SPKCreative Stationery Line: http://www.zazzle.com/spkcreative*
0 Likes   February 25, 2013 at 10:47AM
PRO
The Welcome Home: Interior Design Solutions
What if you hung a collection of framed pieces in a gallery style around the television? If you frame them all simply in black wood frames then the television would blend in with the composition. You could hang the art to follow the angle of the ceiling to emphasize the architecture. Make sure the art pieces are not too small. You want to be able to tell what hey are when they are hung high and also using too many pieces will look very busy.
0 Likes   February 25, 2013 at 12:32PM
vmanna1972
I would put a large piece of furniture to house your television. That wall is screaming for it!!
0 Likes   February 25, 2013 at 12:37PM
carolins
Just paint it the colour of the cushion in your chair. A deep, dark orange. I don't think it needs anything else. But make sure that it's a deep orange that goes more towards red or brown. A paprika, spicy colour.

Tawny Day Lilly 2012-10
Colorhouse PETAL .06
0 Likes   February 25, 2013 at 12:58PM
decoenthusiaste
Sherwin Williams Spicy Hue
1 Like   February 25, 2013 at 1:18PM
PRO
Lydia (Kazza Design)
Your room is already filled up with enough furniture. What's missing on that wall is definitely colour! You can pick one from the painting on the mantle - maybe a greyish blue.
0 Likes   February 25, 2013 at 1:18PM
dlw91304
Chang coller
0 Likes   February 25, 2013 at 1:21PM
PRO
Gail Barley Interiors, LLC
I wouldn't do an accent wall. It will draw attention away from your lovely fireplace. I think the biggest problem is that the piece under the TV is too small. Something longer and taller if you have the space. Doesn't have to be expensive, IKEA or something vintage. The rest of the room is lovely.
1 Like   February 25, 2013 at 1:40PM
mrstinylady
The room is filled up with a lot of goings on, but none of it is doing anything for you. There is no place to SEE something and no place to rest your eyes. For me, that means my mind is searching and seeking something somewhere . . . but the eyes have no where to go. I found my eye kept returning to the fllor and then the vent above the TV and the TV itself.

SO . . .I would beam the ceiling with stained wood for great look and dynamic contrast. I think I would enhance that TV in wood cabinetry. I would remove all the chairs and tables and standing lamp and floor basket and put in a love seat at a right angle near the window to the sofa for a bold sight line. Add a large cocktail table (color could be used here) and maybe even a pretty throw over the loveseat so that you can see it from where this picture was taken. Remember, you can keep all of this in neutrals if you do not appreciate color, as long as you make sure you have defined light, medium, and dark.

The floor is wood! Umm. Well, you can let it show or replace the rug with one with more presence. The rug could be absolutely bold and colorful, ornately patterned, or whatever you like . . . but darker and/or more contrast. Bold. Match the rug colors to sofa pillows Stack some large and colorful pillows by the TV-Fire corner for a little more pop and then hang some great lighting fixtures.

You could consider a ceiling mount (or close to it) for a layer of drapery valance or cornice box. One or two added wall art pieces, and some colorful objects (plates, vases, candles, etc.) on the cocktail table finishes off the room!
0 Likes   February 25, 2013 at 1:48PM
Lynn Oxenford
I hope this give you some ideas. You can adjust the height of the console , and the art work to fit the area and your style.
1 Like   February 25, 2013 at 2:08PM
AMN
Increase the size of the cabinet under the tv -- Nothing should be put to the sides of the television.
If you have a sizable enough piece of furniture under the TV, then you won't feel the need for anything else. In addition to height, it wouldn't hurt to have something a little wider than what you have now.
0 Likes   February 25, 2013 at 2:11PM
Keitha
I agree with Gail! The piece under the TV is too small and too low and throws the wall out of proportion. Maybe you can find another place in your home for it and find something bigger to add interest. Here are some ideas.
1 Like   February 25, 2013 at 2:14PM
mrstinylady
LOVE the above Lynn Oxenford photo submission!

Can you find some really cool antique metal heating grid or paint it the same as wall color \
(to obscure it)?
0 Likes   February 27, 2013 at 5:26AM
mrstinylady
Here's a thought.
1 Like   February 27, 2013 at 7:28AM
More Discussions
I need an advice or suggestions for the color and design of my curtain
Small 70 sq m flat.. Attached find the bed and the...
Year long counter top indecison. Help!
I've waited a year for counters, using plywood with...
Kitchen Advice? Cosmetic updates to make dated kitchen more modern?
The house is 1931 Spanish Revival but we are looking...
What type of bulb?
For the life of me, I can't seem to find a bulb to...
Developing a floor plan within boundaries.
Hello there. We're looking to remodel our old 1092...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.