powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall - Remove or DIY Crown Moulding?
MsMaryMac
February 25, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I'll be starting a mini-remodel of my guest bathroom on Thursday with a new vanity in cherry and granite. My question is what to do with that large mirror? I'm on the fence on either 1) removing it completely and adding a mirror above sink area or 2) keeping it and doing a DIY crown moulding project. The new vanity will be same size, just different layout of drawers. I like that the mirror makes the space bigger but DH hinks it looks dated and wants to remove it. I'm also considering removing the soffit and adding either 1) recessed lights or 2) light fixture above new round mirror. Please let me know your thoughts, as I have to decide this in the next few days!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
SH interiors
Are you changing the counter too? If so, I think you might like a mirror over the sink instead of the existing with frame. I do think it's a great idea to remove the soffit for recessed lights! This will really update the look!
0 Likes   February 25, 2013 at 11:18AM
PRO
MirrorMate
We say save the mirror from the trash and upgrade it with a frame! It's an easy install the presses right onto the glass while on the wall. It'll look brand new - and is eco friendly. 65 different styles to boot! www.mirrormate.com
0 Likes   September 22, 2014 at 9:01AM
Dina Taylor
I would keep the mirror, because nothing makes a room feel bigger and bounces light around more than that. You could add crown molding if you feel it will enhance the look you want to create, but if your look is contemporary, I wouId probably leave out the crown molding.

I would definitely remove the soffit and change the lighting. From the picture it seems there is currently fluorescent lighting which is the least flattering to skin tones. Under Ideabooks on houzz, type in 'bathroom lighting' for loads of inspiration on the right type of lights to use above a vanity.

Hope this helps!
1 Like   September 22, 2014 at 9:18AM
tilleylove
You have great ideas! I would def take out the soffit, and if you have room, maybe do sconces on either side of the sink? I would take out the mirror too, it looks dated. We have the same kind of mirrors in our late 80's house, and I'm replacing all! Maybe try to sale it on CL to get some money for a better one! A light paint color would look nice, too! GL!
0 Likes   September 22, 2014 at 10:40AM
PRO
OTM Designs & Remodeling Inc.
I recommend removing the large mirror and getting a mirror just above the vanity. Adding some sconces will update the look as well.
0 Likes   September 22, 2014 at 10:46AM
bgfuqua
older post
0 Likes   September 22, 2014 at 10:52AM
More Discussions
Is this proposed kitchen layout change a bad idea?
This is the current kitchen layout. We are planning...
Help designing small kitchen island!
Our kitchen island counter size would be 36 X 48 "...
Need help with decorating my living / dining room
I have painted the walls and brought the art work behind...
I need help choosing a roof shingle color.
We are going to use a grey siding and shake with grey...
1920 Craftsman - PLEASE help with Paint Color for Kitchen/Sitting Area
My 1920 bungalow renovation is going well. (Thank...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.