Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Square-ish Dining Difficulties!
kabren9
February 25, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hi all. Looking for some inspiration for my dining room. The room is 15 x 13 with French doors opening inward making the room almost square. The existing table is filler, looking for table ideas. I assume round or square would be best but I don't seem to like round tables and squares are hard to find. I am looking for seating for 8.

Also thinking of wainscoting, crown molding, and a less minty or pastel wall color. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
czaress
For eight, I would suggest a table no smaller than about 200cm x 100cm and orient it so the long side is parallel to the back wall, with one or two low-hanging chandeliers over it.
February 25, 2013 at 11:01AM   
PRO
ASVInteriors
I love a square table - particularly in a room like this. I have some friends who painted their walls a deep coral and then used a light wood like yours. It is muted, modern but grandiose at the same time. In the corner they have a cabinet that houses ancient pottery finds...
February 25, 2013 at 11:12AM   
libradesigneye
A 72" round in a pedestal style will do the best in the room to give flexibility. Smaller rounds are different than the bigger rounds, take another look
February 25, 2013 at 11:18AM   
Ella at Wishack.com
Wainscotting is a nice feature and would definitely fit with the charming double doors you have with your dining room and the panels aren't too hard to put together. Try something like this one: http://www.homedepot.com/Lumber-Composites-Paneling/h_d1/N-5yc1vZbqp3/R-202090201/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&storeId=10051#.USu63lemWrk and then you can add some molding to the top for a visual pop.

As for the table, it is hard to find something that will seat 8 people but consider a bench style table. You don't need as many chairs but it would only work for a square or rectangular table.
http://www.wishack.com/product_p/wed-c60m2cno.htm

If you're set on a round table, it has to be at least 60 inches in diameter, anything smaller and you'll be bumping elbows with the best of them.
February 25, 2013 at 11:28AM     
carolins
Since it is directly off your kitchen, which looks fairly traditional, I'd keep it a bit in that style. Will you be using it as a more formal dining room? In which case a bench is probably not the best choice. Have you considered a table that you can add a leaf to?
You'll need a table size:
to seat 6-8 people: 36″W x 72”L
to seat 8-10 people:36″W x 84”L
and at least 3' between chair and wall

Montego Turned-Leg Extending Rectangular Table
Custom classics cooper round table 60"
PB Comfort Upholstered Chair
Evening Hush, Behr
Templeton Gray 161 by Benjamin Moore
Louis XVI 63-inch Sideboard
McAllister Large Buffet with Hutch
Mia Persian-Style Rug
February 25, 2013 at 12:41PM     
decoenthusiaste
Round is so much more intimate for table conversation. Plus you don't bump your hips on the corners. It will also soften and de-emphasize the square-ness of your room. Search the box above for round dining table and then for square dining table and see if you don't agree.
February 25, 2013 at 12:53PM     
aniluap2
You might want to reconsider a round table because they are do great for conversation and engaging everyone.
February 25, 2013 at 12:54PM     
charleee
Seating for 8 on a daily basis, or just occasionally? If it's just occasionally go with a round table that has leaves which will allow you to extend it.
February 25, 2013 at 12:56PM     
kabren9
Thanks so much for the responses so far! I will definitely reconsider round. The room will serve as more of a formal dining, not so much day to day use. The house in general is a fairly traditional colonial.
February 25, 2013 at 1:28PM   
aniluap2
A round table with leaves becomes oval ...or there are some with pie shape leaves. I have seen some lovely formal round tables and they can be dressed up with the chairs you choose.
February 25, 2013 at 5:58PM   
carolins
Also, if you go for a (round) table that extends, if you're only with 4 people you won't feel sort of lost around it.

Did you like the moodboard I made you? Or would you prefer lighter/different colours, different style?
Have to say that I adore that two-toned round table. It's not cheap, but those two colours... love it! Such a shame I don't need a table and I don't live in the USA... sigh... ;-)
February 26, 2013 at 3:07AM   
njmomma
Posting, so I can see the progress. Love Carolins suggestions and mood board.
February 26, 2013 at 3:29AM   
carolins
@njmomma: :-)
February 26, 2013 at 3:33AM   
kabren9
Carolins- thanks so much for the suggestions. I really appreciate you taking the time. I actually LOVE the two toned round table you suggested. Now, how to convince my husband :) ! He likes more of a "blocky" look. I also really like that sideboard. Chairs...I really like a Small simple look.
February 26, 2013 at 8:32AM   
anne dee
Does this pic help

It has some of the elements you are considering .
February 26, 2013 at 10:30AM     
carolins
Phew! Haha... glad that you like it. You know, I really do enjoy going on a virtual shopping trip for people. Sometimes it's difficult to stop 'shopping' and just post the comment and hope that people like it.
I'm almost sorry you like these ideas, because I would love to go 'shopping' for you some more ;-) But wait... you'll need ideas for curtains and accessories and lighting..... LOL

Gosh yeah... that beautiful round table. One can only hope that it's not as gorgeous in real life... But I also really like the rectangular table or something similar for your space/style. Wouldn't go for square myself. Personal thing. Too.... blocky?
February 26, 2013 at 10:41AM     
joanbllt
A round table with leaves to extend into an oval also allows traffic to flow more easily around it. I have bumped way too many corners - With the door outside - there will be traffic thru the room.
February 26, 2013 at 12:27PM   
carolins
Couldn't help myself, went shopping for inspiration for curtains etc. for you, thought about blinds with a pattern combined with a neutral drape, found this dining room that has the exact opposite. Just wanted to show you:

February 26, 2013 at 12:56PM     
PRO
Imperial Kitchens and Baths, Inc.
A square table would be difficult to accommodate 8. Once you line the walls with other furniture - buffet table perhaps or china cabinet, the room will take on a more rectangular feel. Unless you need the french doors closed, we would recommend you open them and then soften the corners with large plants.
February 26, 2013 at 1:06PM     
PRO
Blinds Direct Canada
Silhouettes would look awesome for the space . You can also have them on the doors with hold down brackets.
http://www.blindsdirectcanada.com/blinds-toronto/hunter-douglas/silhouette-toronto.html
February 27, 2013 at 12:27PM   
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.