Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Floor Plan Suggestions
smerani
February 25, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hello everyone, I am in process of finalizing my floor plan and was wondering if anyone has any feedback for me! One change I am looking into is having the flex room doors in the opening into the great room. Do you think this would be a good idea? I am thinking of using it as a playroom for the kid. Any feedback or other suggestions on the whole plan would be great! Thanks
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
pybo
Before you move the door to the great room, please consider the following:
-resale, other might make flex room as guest room or office and want to have some privacy instead of coming in from great room
-you will lose some flexibility to furniture arrangement as you will lose the wall if it becomes an entrance to flex room
February 25, 2013 at 10:54am     
PRO
LeMaster Architects
You could always put in both sets of doors. Maybe a double set between the flex and great rooms, and just a single door into the foyer.
February 25, 2013 at 11:14am   
pybo
Things for your consideration:
-a sink in the main laundry, stackable W/D
-you lose 2'L on one side of your garage because of the stair, make sure your smallest vehicle fit there. Also be mindful whether you can open your trunk with the garage door close. I hope you don't own a truck.
-ensure 18'W is enough for swing of car doors for buckling little ones and landscaping/car/garbage/snow removal equipment storage, else you might want to invest in a shed.
-have a cubby with sitting bench instead of a closet in your mudroom
-if you need more closet and storage space on main floor, consider moving garage entrance to house to foyer and make a large walk-in store room to your right.
-is there a door on your arch to your master walk in closet? Humidity to the clothes might not be good.
February 25, 2013 at 11:14am     
PRO
EAC Designs
Personally, I would eliminate the double doors from the foyer to the flex room and use this opportunity for a furniture piece in the foyer, like a sideboard to drop keys, mail etc. And I would make the entrance on the great room side, as a set of two sliding doors mounted on the wall so that they don't impede on floor space. These sliding doors can also be a design feature as flex doors can sometimes be an eyesore. I think there are more important factors when purchasing a home like kitchen and bathroom design; a door can always be opened and closed given wires are run properly.
February 25, 2013 at 11:23am     
Lisa Williams
- do you really need to 2 closets so close to the main entry? I might eliminate the one by the flex room and expand the usable space
- eliminate entry through your pantry...traffic from the garage can walk thru main hallway and you'll have more pantry storage
- I might also eliminate the door from your master closet into the laundry and replace with a laundry chute into the laundry room. Since you have an upstairs laundry already, it's not far to bring back your laundered/folded clothes
- if space permits, I would consider dual basins in the 2nd bath/kids bath if it will ever be a shared bathroom
- again if space permits (removing one of those closets?) include a shower stall in downstairs bath, this would give you the option to use the flex space as a bedroom at some point, or for resale
February 25, 2013 at 11:25am     
smerani
Thanks for these suggestions. I forgot to mention, I am looking into a triple garage (27'W). Just waiting to see the plan to see if there is enough space on the lot without taking away from the exterior look of the house. We have 2 midsized cars at the moment so hopefully this size will do.

I really like the idea of having a double sliding door going into the flex from the great room. Is it common to have a door leading to the flex from the great room?

Thanks for the laundry room door suggestion. That will also give me more shelf space!

For the front door closet, would you recommend rotating it so it is along the west wall? I am starting to like the idea of taking it out completely too to open up the space too.
February 25, 2013 at 12:20pm     
kimdee24
18x20 is really tight for a garage. I have a 20x21'6" and it's tight for two smallish SUVs for opening doors. We can't have anything on the floor along the sides of the garage at all. I park in front of the stair, and unless I'm pulled right up tight, I can't open the tailgate with the garage door closed.
February 25, 2013 at 12:50pm   
smerani
Looks like I'll have to go with a 27'X21' garage!
February 25, 2013 at 1:00pm   
Dianne Ziegler
The garage is really small. This will lead you to be tempted to leave your car out so it's easier to unpack kids, groceries, etc. or the garage will be for one car unless you do three car garage for two cars. We have friends who habe a Yukon and can't fit it into their garage. Easier to fix now than after it's under construction.

We have a door to our MBR large walkin closet but I don't think it has been closed in eight years and our clothes have been fine. I'd want to eliminate the door from the closet to the laundry to give more space in each room.
Good luck with it all!
February 25, 2013 at 1:03pm   
PRO
Dytecture
Lots of great comments so far. Here are my 2 cents.

1. make entry closet bigger by eliminating the window by the optional bench.
2. close door off from laundry room to walk-in closet.
February 25, 2013 at 1:04pm   
Dianne Ziegler
Eliminate the optional bench and make that a larger closet. Curb appeal will dictate whether or not the window goes.
February 25, 2013 at 1:17pm   
PRO
EAC Designs
I'd say don't completely eliminate the foyer closet, it's always a great place for winter coats, gloves, hats, etc. and even guest coats!
February 25, 2013 at 1:49pm   
pybo
I would suggest the garage be made longer maybe to 22'.
February 25, 2013 at 1:54pm   
PRO
Shuler Architecture
I'd move the Powder Room out of the main flow of the plan and stick it in the corner by the entry. I'd then capture that space for additional pantry storage. I'd suggest leaving the doors in their current location so you can furnish the Great Room - the wall between the Great Room and the Flex Room is perfect for you entertainment center. Doors on that wall will leave you with a very awkward furnishing layout for this room. Try cutting out some paper sofa, chairs and tables to scale and arranging them around your plan to get a sense of how you can furnish the entire house before committing to construction.
February 25, 2013 at 2:24pm