Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Small half bathroom renovation
judyrugel
February 25, 2013
I took a quick class on faux painting at my local Home Depot. I started with Kilz to cover the existing yellow then mixed 1/4 glaze with 3/4 chocolate brown interior semi gloss paint. I used a small roller to apply the paint in sections and a steel sponge to "scrape" off the glaze mixture. After it dried, I realized that it was too dark, so I applied another coat of glaze but this time I used some left over almond color paint I had around the house and repeated the process. I accented the room by painting & re-using the base boards, quarter rounds & crown molding in gray (these last 2 were new); and the ceiling in a slightly darker shade of the same gray. Since the amount of gray paint needed was so small, I purchased the sample size for $2.99. For the back splash I purchased 2 sheets of glass color tiles. I picked one that had white, gray, & brown tones to tie it all together. The fawcet I bought on line for $90 including S&H. I used the existing medicine cabinet, cleaned out the rust, sprayed painted it with metal gray paint. The mirror frame was faux painted using the same gray paint for the baseboards. Added 1 towel ring, toilet paper stand, lighting and a few wall pieces that I had in the house & no longer using. I was a little afraid to go with dark colors in such a small bathroom 5'x4', but I'm very happy with the results.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
PH Interiors, LLC
Nice faux job - and I never say that! Most faux is pretty awful but this is a great example of how great it can look when done right. Congrats! (Reminds me of a powder room I did - it's in my profie)
    Bookmark   February 26, 2013 at 10:53AM