Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Paint pine cabs, or gut it all!
mainstreetschool
February 25, 2013 in Design Dilemma
House was built in 1932, and kitchen updated in 1959 to this! I want to add picture molding and paint existing cabs for temporary fix. Husband wants to gut it and start over. We both want to remove tile floor (mint green and pink 1"tile). If we start over, I want to keep with the old world style of the house ( I have 2 other entries here). Problem is, I like glazed light cabinets, and husband wants dark cabinets. Need designer advise, but cannot find one in the area. Any help here?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mainstreetschool
More pics. Drawing is pretty rough, used blackboard on iPad. Long wall is 13'6", sink wall is 11'4", stove wall is 11'6" to front of fridge, this includes swinging door to dining room. Problem: radiator is next to fridge. Laundry room door is in bottom left corner, next to basement doorway. These doors crossover space. And only access to back yard Small window between laundry and built in double ovens, has a small ac in it. Any suggestions are welcome.
0 Likes   February 25, 2013 at 11:30AM
PRO
Dytecture
For a kitchen of this age, it's best to demolish the entire space and start fresh. Here is an example of glazed cabinetry with a dark island.

1 Like   February 25, 2013 at 12:07PM
PRO
All About Interiors LLC
Your kitchen definately needs updating, we all agree. If you have the budget to start from scratch, I would recommend you do so, this way you get what you want instead of a bandaid. You can do cream or white cabinetry and a stained dark island (for hubby). A much needed new floor and countertop as well as backsplash. I hope this helps
2 Likes   February 25, 2013 at 12:16PM
PRO
Stamps Design Services
To satisfy you both, you could paint the upper cabinets white (or light color) and use a dark gel stain or paint on the lower cabinets. Stores like Home Depot or Lowes carry the products you will need, plus they sometimes offer "workshops" which would give you "hands-on" experience, prior to trying it on your own.
Here are a couple of kitchens that have two different color cabinets that work well with each other.
0 Likes   February 25, 2013 at 12:23PM
rawketgrl
I love your retro kitchen the green and black is very in. The pine cabinets look to be in great shape. I agree with you keep them. But it all depends on your budget. It looks like the layout will not change so that is less expense. If you have the money to tear it out and redo walls/cabs/appliances/floors/lights/counters/back splash etc...then go for it. However if you do not have that budget, then what I would do is save those great cabinets and paint them white and update the hardware. I love the tile walls and the back-splash, just not the accent tiles, I would consider painting those specific tiles black. With new floors that space will be really changed! What flooring were you considering?

Please consider lighting, your kitchen looks a little dark. Over head cans if possible, under cabinet lights everywhere possible. Upgrading light fixtures can be a really easy way to increase the love you have for your current kitchen.

You did not say if you were updating the appliances or not. I would try to do so if I could afford to. I would also enclose the shelf over the rad. for a more efficient pantry space.

Who is the cook, you or hubby? Or both? If it is you remind him you don't tell him what color to paint his workshop.. LOL..teasing of course....if it is both of you then get out the cardboard, paint it and put up some dark "cabinets" for a few days to see if you like it. My guess is if new dark cabinets then you will need counter tops and back splashes in lighter colors.

Have fun this is a great space and with the new floor alone I think you will really like it even more. Post pics as you go would love to see how you are doing. :D
0 Likes   February 25, 2013 at 12:23PM
onthefence
It's time to bite the bullet mainstreeet and gut. Not only for the visual appearance of the cabinets but for the functionality. It seems that cabinetry of the era was built well...but not necessarily with an eye to making the best use of accessibility. We also have different appliances and sizes then what was available in the 50s.

First, keep searching and find a designer who can maximize the space you have. Also sit down with your wall/window dimensions and start sketching out a rough layout yourself. Think about how you cook and where you want things to be.

Then negotiate w/ husband regarding color. Consider that a different type of layout may open itself to doing something with mixed colors so you both get what you want!
0 Likes   February 25, 2013 at 12:26PM
PRO
A Direct Cabinet Distributor Corp
Gut it! You can totally get an old world look with new products these days. And I wouldn't go dark cabinets, as you only have one window providing natural light in the room. We are the NY distributor of Masterbrand cabinets (Kemper line). On their website they give awesome tools for budget, planning, and brainstorming for renovations. http://www.kempercabinets.com/get-started If you are local, give us a call! Or if you aren't, google Masterbrand cabinets... you can find their other lines in Lowe's and Home Depot. But you'll get the best service from local wholesalers, and better experience and knowledge! Best of luck!
0 Likes   February 25, 2013 at 12:38PM
mainstreetschool
Budget is not an issue. Was hoping for help with a different layout. Appliances are in great shape but really dated. I do most of the cooking, but we really eat out more than in. Hubby doesn't have time for a workshop. We relax on the river on our old houseboat. We entertain politicians, and hubby wants a kitchen he isn't embarrassed to have people to see. Thinking of floating wood floor throughout kitchen,hall,breakfast room, and library/ office. I like the subway tile, but the house has such a variety of tile as it is. Picture of dining room entry to kitchen.
0 Likes   February 25, 2013 at 1:58PM
PRO
Michelle Drenckhahn
I honestly love your kitchen! It is rare to find this anymore. The floor is fantastic! Is it in good shape? Some new hardware and paint as well as a new countertop could do wonders.
1 Like   February 25, 2013 at 5:45PM
PRO
Ironwood Builders
Man! The tile floor is pretty great in the dining room! A floating floor over it? Doesn't sound as appealing. Real tile vs. faux wood?
0 Likes   February 25, 2013 at 5:59PM
mainstreetschool
Not changing floor in dining room. Kitchen, hall, and breakfast room only. They were retailed in 1959.
0 Likes   February 25, 2013 at 6:47PM
PRO
Michelle Drenckhahn
If budget is not an issue and you are considering a "gut", I would consider opening the wall between the kitchen and dining.
I wish I could come and get that floor! My home was built in 1959!
0 Likes   February 25, 2013 at 7:09PM
rawketgrl
Sorry you can't find a designer in your area. Sweet house. I remodeled a 1920's farmhouse several years ago and the plumbing and electrical issues were challenging at times. Suffice it to say there was adventure and changes around every corner! I was a newbie though so it was ok! :) Call a good contractor and he or she may be able to help you find a designer and get you started. Then you can get back on that boat!.

It is a bit hard to tell from the layout you drew what the dimensions of your kitchen are. Perhaps some of the wonderful Houzzers here could assist you more if you could post floor plans of the kitchen and any other areas nearby that can be co-opted if needed.

Good luck to you! :D
0 Likes   February 25, 2013 at 9:46PM
PRO
Michelle Drenckhahn
This sounds like a fun project. I understand you can't find a designer in your area? I would be happy to help you and/or refer someone to you. What area are you located in?
0 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 7:13AM
mainstreetschool
Michelle, I am in Southeast Ohio. You can see what I like in my idea books. Not sure if I can rework the layout of kitchen.
0 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 8:36PM
mainstreetschool
Can't afford to lose that space if I took out wall to dining room. Built in corner cupboard there, also. Walls are oak 6"studs with plaster/metal screening and cement.ike. Floors and ceilings also. Pot lights would also be impossible.
0 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 8:42PM
PRO
Michelle Drenckhahn
Ahhh! I grew up in a home with this construction (and helped remodel it). I do think we can work with your space. I have done projects of this type many, many times over the years. It is a challenge but always workable.

I know a few professionals in Ohio if you are interested in having me refer you. Or, I'd be happy to work with you via online/chat resources. I have done this many times. Feel free to contact me if you are interested in either.
0 Likes   February 27, 2013 at 7:40AM
mainstreetschool
Michelle, I went to your web sight, but did not see an email to contact you. I would love to have some help. Next 10 days will be very busy, but I will get exact measurements and re-post the layout. Have a good contractor, just don't think He can do the designing. My name here is my email address @ aol.com. Thanks!
0 Likes   February 27, 2013 at 8:02AM
PRO
Michelle Drenckhahn
Sorry about that! We have been doing some updates and I see the contact information was removed. I will be sure to update. In the meantime.... michelled@spacialadaptation.com :)
0 Likes   February 27, 2013 at 10:43AM