Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Est. cost to reno this kitchen?
wildcat109
February 25, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Possibly looking to get more space here. Appliances are in good shape but looking to knock out a wall to get more counter space and update as well. All input is greatly appreciated!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Dytecture
Even if we know which wall you are planning to knock out, it would be difficult to provide a dollar amount since they do vary from coast to coast, assuming you are in North America.
February 25, 2013 at 12:56PM   
wildcat109
Gotcha, Sorry- new here and no experience with this. Thinking the wall with the sink as it is actually the side of house. Seems like that would be easier than an inside wall? Not sure if that is correct or not. We are in Texas.
February 25, 2013 at 1:01PM   
PRO
Norm Walters Construction Inc.
Wildcat, the best thing you could do is decide what your budget is and find a professional on Houzz, in your area, to do feasability study for you. There are many variables involved with a remodel, a professional can ask you the right questions as to what is important to you, and come up with a design that will work for you. Whether you have someone do the build, or you do it yourself, a good plan is essential.
February 25, 2013 at 2:59PM     
wildcat109
Sounds good, Thanks!
February 25, 2013 at 3:04PM   
PRO
Louis Pardoe
$ 7500 tops
February 25, 2013 at 3:14PM   
PRO
LeMaster Architects
Louis Pardoe - if wildcat is planning on removing an exterior wall, I would hardly think his budget could stay under $7500. And even without removing walls, that seems like a very low number if they are going to be replacing cabinets.
February 25, 2013 at 3:17PM     
Judy M
Is there a room behind the sink wall or is that the exterior and you need to add the extra space?

Adding space is more costly than remodeling exisiting space. I would get three estimates from contractors.
February 25, 2013 at 3:20PM   
wildcat109
That is the exterior wall. We would try to salvage the existing cabinets but would need to add some additional storage as well. There is no existing pantry at this time for example.
February 25, 2013 at 3:39PM   
Rosemarie
Norm Walters makes sense--follow his instructions. Remodels are not as easy or inexpensive as you may think.
February 25, 2013 at 3:58PM   
Danielle B
I agree with Dytecture, get a few companies to provide estimates. Make a wishlist too: this will help you make decisions down the line. One word of advice: your most worthwhile investment is in quality plumbing and electrical.
February 25, 2013 at 4:02PM