powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need Help deciding on kitchen dining area furniture.
cidel
February 25, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We are downsizing in our new home being built. I have lost my formal diningroom suite, but the large kitchen dining area will have space for something nice.

I like this, but am concerned that it's too ornate.

The second pic is what I have now, and the seats will be recovered.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cidel
This is the light that will hag over the table. Brown shades, chrome & clear acrylic. And three of these over the work island, so stools to consider as well.
February 25, 2013 at 2:24PM   
cidel
What I am really after is 2 armchairs. I like these. http://www.bowring.com/f_products.asp?subcategory=17
February 25, 2013 at 2:26PM   
cidel
Again the ornate set (but it doesn't show the armchairs).
February 25, 2013 at 2:30PM   
PRO
La Maison Chic
Too ornate for the kitchen seating .
February 25, 2013 at 2:34PM     
cidel
Thank you, what do you think of the two chairs that I would change out for two of the ones I have now? Ideas to dress up the table? With the leaf out it is 42 round. Small, but I would love a round table.
February 25, 2013 at 2:38PM   
carole
must say i like the set you already have,17 is that the windsor?/they are in style with your current diningset too...will you upholster all the chair the same ?? i think it will work well!!
February 25, 2013 at 2:42PM     
Megan
Wayyy to ornate!

Keep it fresh & fun. I love the caned-back chairs...Restoration Hardware sold some very similar to this for $200 a pop. I'd choose a neutral fabric in a solid or small scale pattern. A ticking stripe is cute and fresh. I love the idea of incorporating armchairs into the space. It's still meets your desire for "formal" but paired with different chairs it makes it more kitchen appropriate.

I attached a small idea board. Hope it gives you some ideas!
February 25, 2013 at 2:44PM     
PRO
Lydia (Kazza Design)
Your existing dining set is much better! Just update it with some interesting fabric on the chairs. I wouldn't go with the brown shades.....too much brown already with the wood.
February 25, 2013 at 2:49PM     
joanbllt
since you are in a smaller area - and this probably kitchen/dining, you might want to consider a sunbrella type of fabric that can clean up more easily.
February 25, 2013 at 2:53PM   
cidel
Thanks Carole, yes it's the Windsor chair from Bowrings. It has a bit of maroon, which is why I hesitate, I don't love the fabric. But I do like the chairs.
February 25, 2013 at 2:54PM   
cidel
The brown shades are a must. I've incorporated this line throughout the house & really like it. http://russell-lighting.com/collection/genesis/
The ceilings are 9' the walls will be taupe, BM Cabot Trail, lots of white moulding work, the floors Mirage - Praline & the counters Caesarstone Carmel, lots os morning light too. 15' of one wall white over glazed antiqued cabinets, work island is dark wood.
February 25, 2013 at 3:00PM   
cidel
I think I should have said exactly what I really want , 2 new Armchairs plus a Large round table. But, the Lane (expensive) cherry table is beautiful, and I've had it as my kitchen table for more than 20 years now. So would have a hard time parting with it, and I'd get little if it was sold.

I have a lot of more formal looking kitchen seating ideas in my Idea Books here.
February 25, 2013 at 3:04PM   
Megan
Here's a beautiful antiqued table that might work well with your new cabinets! I would then keep the caned back chairs their cherry color and find two pretty armchairs with cherry finishes. You could always sell the table you love so dearly to a local consignment store...you know it'd be getting a nice, new home! :)
February 25, 2013 at 3:32PM   
cidel
That's a nice table, thanks, but I really want to stay with a dark one. The big draw of the ornate set was the large table. Although it too was not simple enough for the kitchen dining area.
February 25, 2013 at 3:38PM   
PRO
La Maison Chic
The table is too fine for a kitchen table, it belongs in a dining room setting. the chair gives it more of a casual feel but still the polished wood and the style is very formal dining room. its beautiful and i can see why you dont want to part with it. if you can, perhaps distressing it a bit so its not so perfect would help but maybe storing it and getting something more suited to the kitchen area. Just an idea, if you do decide on the set go with a really casual fun fabric.
February 25, 2013 at 3:40PM   
cidel
Do you mean my current table is too fine for the kitchen? That is where it has been all along, in my past two kitchens. And my husband has distressed it, not on purpose though. *wink*
February 25, 2013 at 3:43PM     
Gretchen Maurer
I love the table to the set you showed....but the chairs did seem heavy.... don't try to "make-up" for the loss of a dining room by going too formal in the kitchen setting. down sizing may require more use of less space so keep it comfortable. I love the painted table above....
February 25, 2013 at 3:43PM   
PRO
La Maison Chic
Husbands are awesome!!! :) The style is more formal than a regular kitchen table but if it works in your space just make the fabric really fun!
February 25, 2013 at 3:47PM     
cidel
You know exactly what I am trying to do. Make the dining area in the kitchen more formal, but I do need help in not going over the top with it. I have deleted that ornate set from my mind completely.
February 25, 2013 at 3:48PM   
cidel
I think that I am on the right track then with my first idea. Keep my table and chairs, but set two aside, and add to armchairs. But, should the table stay the oval, or remove the leaf and use it as a 42 round. I love the round, as I said, but is 42 too small?
February 25, 2013 at 3:51PM     
Megan
Paired with armchairs, I think a 42 round will be very small. Ours is a 60 round and four armless dining chairs still feels small. I'd keep the leaf if you're going to add armchairs.
February 25, 2013 at 3:54PM     
cidel
By the way, the pic of my current set is not in front of a stove or counters.
February 25, 2013 at 3:54PM   
cidel
Yes, leaf in, that's what I thought. Should the 2 armchairs go on the ends of the table, or the wide sides of the oval?
February 25, 2013 at 3:56PM   
PRO
La Maison Chic
YEs, i figured you had a separate area for the table, i think it will be great with the less formal chairs and a couple of armchairs. Fun but beautiful enough for a Sunday dinner
February 25, 2013 at 3:58PM   
Megan
I think it will depend on the measurements of the armchairs you end up buying. I like them, personally, on the wide side of the oval...seems less formal and more laid back. However, if it's formal you're after, I'd put them at the ends.
February 25, 2013 at 4:06PM     
carole
could you get the chairs upholstered in a fabrick of choice when you buy them??
February 25, 2013 at 4:17PM   
cidel
No, I don't think so Carole. But I can live with that fabric to have the arms.
February 25, 2013 at 4:21PM