Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
how to update this exterior
amclau0524
February 25, 2013 in Design Dilemma
am considering buying this house, but hate exterior of this bavarian tudor, any ideas for updating it so it has great curb appeal?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
collettec
Is it wood trim and something that you can remove?
0 Likes   February 25, 2013 at 3:02PM
amclau0524
im not really sure, but that trim is consistent with tudors. what i dont love is that paintcoat on it, wasnt sure if maybe i can put stone on the gable and maybe bottom half of home and update that front window with a bay window? would love to see how that looks?
0 Likes   February 25, 2013 at 3:04PM
collettec
I think I would try and get exterior mockups from whoever would be doing the work first to see if it was something that you would like, including the bay window, which would alter the exterior look. What is the material of the house itself - is it paintable and something you would consider doing? Not sure if it would be an option, but I think something like a gray green color might be a nice color with the trim color and if darker, it wouldn't be such of a contrast, if that's something you don't like.
Just wanted to add if you wanted to add stone facing and keep the trim, I think you would want to have the stone so that it works with the trim lines eg: perhaps something like the top and bottom. But would definitely get a physical mock up done to see how it would look. Good luck!
0 Likes   February 25, 2013 at 3:08PM
moenna
I am so, so envious. We searched for a house like this, for a long time. Finally gave up. I wouldn't change a thing, except to maybe paint the woodwork a little darker.
Mo
3 Likes   February 25, 2013 at 10:49PM
Maggie Reising
Do you like the Bavarian style? I live in Bavaria and most would have window flower boxes which are very eye catching . I guess it depends on your taste preference and how much money you have.
5 Likes   February 25, 2013 at 11:00PM
PRO
Ironwood Builders
Paint the stucco a deep taupe..BM Elk Horn is my fav. Paint the beams a very dark green. Porter Jungle Green. The shutters are colonial, you have and Arts and Crafts Tudor, lose the shutters. Look at A&C exteriors!
4 Likes   February 25, 2013 at 11:11PM
Rosemarie Arscott-Aiken
For that style home, rough rustic stone is nice up to maybe just below the entry roof. window boxes on the right and top window and beef up the entry with some molding around the roof line and around the edges to mimic columns on the side. Change the style of the shutters to let them stand out some more by adding horizontal pieces that extend a little beyond the sides or just lose the shutters completely depending on your preference for shutters.An earthy color a little darker on the wall. Beef up the main roof line as well. check out bhg.com search for tudor homes. Have fun!
2 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 12:50AM
amclau0524
you mean to put the stone in the entry gable only or the whole bottom half of the home?
1 Like   February 26, 2013 at 3:52AM
amclau0524
thanks for all the great comments. i wish there was a website where i could try ideas on the picture online, anyone know of one?
0 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 3:53AM
PRO
All 4 Show, LLC
4 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 4:32AM
PRO
All 4 Show, LLC
I love the stone added to this tudor. It adds a different texture. (I would bring out the garden further from the house and add flower boxes to the windows!!) Also, the color contrast between the the exposed timbers and stucco is not as severe as yours....good luck....I love tudors....so much great potential in your home...... :)
1 Like   February 26, 2013 at 4:37AM
Dar Eckert
Private Residence - English / Tudor
Kipp Residence
Check out Bavarian Tudor on Houzz browse rooms. It looks like they mostly have a combination of stucco and stone or brick. I would try to add a touch of stone say around the door and up to the window on the front. Paint your door a contrasting color like red or blue. Remove the shutters.
3 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 4:39AM
handymam
All 4 Show, that example you posted is gorgeous! amclau, that would be beautiful for your home.
I think the idea of losing the shutters and adding the window boxes would really help a lot. And either paint the front door a color or strip down to wood would look great and draw your eye to the entrance. I actually think the colors used are okay, but maybe it just need a fresh coat.
0 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 5:11AM
shakerjaebs
I love the house! I agree with getting rid of the shutters. They don't fit right anyway. I have a 1925 tudor/english cottage that someone put arts and crafts shutters on. We found an original picture of the house and there were no shutters. Also, we are going change the look of our house by using paint colors with less contrast. We are planning to embrace the original design with some modern twists. Good luck! Keep us updated with pictures.
1 Like   February 26, 2013 at 5:30AM
amclau0524
this forum for ideas is so great, while i normally love tudors, i think the contrasting colors are too severe for me. i love the ideas of adding some stone to the entry cable or lower half of home, maybe stripping down door to change it some, but i feel much better bouncing off ideas with everyone, I LOVE HOUZZ!!!
0 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 5:35AM
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
Stone entry would help break up all stucco. I like Tudors have had 2 of them. don't care for the shutters. It could be made to look more like an English one by adding brick in a herring bone pattern also.
3 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 5:45AM
Jayme H.
This one has just the stone on the entry area..I agree with Interiors about the shutters
4 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 5:55AM
handymam
Oooh, Jayme, amclau might go for that color palette as well! Very nice.
2 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 6:09AM
rinqreation
we love houzz too ;)
0 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 6:15AM
Jayme H.
@amclau...Yes, I have seen these types of homes with a little less contrast from the stucco to the trimwork.....looks a bit milder! thx...
0 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 6:20AM
PRO
Barnhart Gallery
Hi Amclau -- I'd go a little more grey/beige overall, blending in with the stone that I think you're quite right to want to add, and lose the shutters in favor of copper window boxes:
2 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 6:40AM
PRO
Barnhart Gallery
Oh how funny, some very similar pics popped up while I was MSPainting :)
0 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 6:42AM
amclau0524
how did you add that stone and window boxes, where can i go to play around? ms painting?
0 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 7:02AM
Cynthia Farnsworth
Yes, be sure to get rid of the non-functioning shutters. Notice all the pretty grand tudor houses often don't have them. And the house you are considering has shutters that could not possibly close on the window, so I view them as Lee Press on Nails. What fun you will have. I can't wait til we buy.
1 Like   February 26, 2013 at 7:28AM
PRO
Barnhart Gallery
LOL Lee Press on Nails!

amclau, I lost a wonderful design graphics program when I upgraded my computer, so I'm just using plain old MS Paint that comes with most Micro Soft basic platforms. The stone is just an online image that I copied and imported. Sorry I was in a rush and forgot to "paint" a couple of your window trims (I don't mind the inner mullions staying brown, as your roof is brown) and I also blocked up part of your lower window, but you get the idea...
0 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 10:46AM
PRO
PYRAMID DESIGN GROUP
GET RID OF THE SHUTTERS--PAINT THE HOUSE A VERY VERY LIGHT BEIGE OR GRAY AND THE TRIM A MEDIUM GREENISH BROWN. INSTALL BEAUTIFUL RAILINGS ON THE STOOP, AND THE HOUSE SHOULD BE VERY NICE. HOWEVER IF YOU REALY DONT LIKE A TUTOR DON'T BUY IT, BECAUSE YOU MIGHT NEVER BE HAPPY WITH IT.
3 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 10:52AM
PRO
The Color People
The first question is what do you hate about it? Do you hate the Tudor style? or just the look of this Tudor? If it is the former you would be better off to keep looking because you are going to spend a fortune having to completely redo the facade and because of the house's proportions won't lend itself to anything to exceptional.

The tudor style always has rustic overtones no matter how large or forma so keep that in mind. I do love All for Shows idea. Stone is perfect for the base. I would use a stone veneer (real stone if you can afford it) very much like the style in her picture, with the mortar buttered all the way to the surface. This will give the home a wonderful rustic feeling which works great with the beam and stucco style. I think you should put the stone all the way up to the belt course at the second floor windows because the house is really sort of over tall. I would also put the stone between the timbering to keep the feeling of structure that the timbering is really trying to approximate and go a bit further is selling a sense of being rustic and hand made. Also make sure you do the porch on the right.

I think you should also keep the shutters not because they are especially lovely but because they account for supplying some interest to the huge gable, breaking it up a bit. Some color on them would also help a great deal to accomplish this.
0 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 2:41PM
moenna
amclauo524, you originally asked how this house might have more curb appeal. Now of course, I love houses like this, as many do. I'd certainly stop and look. If the cost and work, might be too much for you to consider, would you maybe think of adding flowers/bushes/trees/pretty fencing, to the front garden? A wonderful tree in the front, would add a lot. As would fencing. Maybe a garden update, would hide the house a little from your view, each time you drive up? Could be, a change to the front garden first, would give you time to decide exactly what to do with the house. There again, do you love the inside, enough to want to change the outside? If you think it might amount to just too much work, then I'd bet there is probably another house out there, where you like the inside as well as the outside.
1 Like   February 26, 2013 at 3:14PM
Jennifer Smith
The house is really beautiful, and if I were you, I wouldn't change anything with it. It looks gorgeous that way. Maybe I will just consider improving the outdoor part. Maybe you can add an outdoor place where you can stay with your family for bonding. Patio place cannot be The landscape is already fine. applied because of the exterior design of the house, but I would consider a simple lounge to fill the spaces. One of my friends who had bought a house started doing this project last year, and it was doing good really. She just got some simple couches which fit the color of the house, and she even got a fire pit from http://www.buytikitorches.com because most of the time, it is cold in their place. The outdoor light was also purchased from the site for her convenience. Now, they are half way down and I can see the improvement it had done with the house as a whole. It made their home one of the great place to hang out.
0 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 4:09PM
amclau0524
to the color people: i dont want to completely re-do the facade. i just like the idea of adding some stone in the entry gable and maybe even up to the top of the gable, which means half of the house with stone, plus maybe a new front window and the flower boxes. how expensive is that??? i have no idea??? also i like idea of getting rid of shutters, but not sure about painting. the owner says that is new wallcoat. and the ideas above i think would be enough to make it look like i want it to look.
0 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 10:02PM
amclau0524
also if its too pricey, maybe i can just do the stone in the front of the house and not all the way around.
0 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 10:05PM
rinqreation
Google-map look around in 'Rüdesheim', your home is an instant attention grabber. If you don't like the way it looks, why did you buy it? Maybe you just need to get used to it? (I agree the brown could be better of black of green)
0 Likes   February 27, 2013 at 12:29AM
amclau0524
i didnt buy it, im considering it. i shouldnt have used the word hate, too strong a word.
0 Likes   February 27, 2013 at 12:38AM