Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Good Rug color/design for this room
hotdrysunny
February 25, 2013 in Design Dilemma
If the real estate gods are with us, this will be our living room in a month or so. This shot is taken from the dining area, kitchen is to the left (you can see a little bit of the bar/island to the left of the shot. Front door is to the right and it opens directly into this room. Front door is big wooden double doors, with the same finish as the pillar.

This is the current owner's furniture so try to photoshop it out in your mind. My plan is to put the flat screen tv in the corner between the windows on the right and stage the living room furniture so that the furniture creates a "room," leaving the walkway to the sliding glass doors clear.

We have a large (72" I think) dark brown leather couch and club chair with ottoman. I think I will put the couch perpendicular to the wall on the right, creating a sort of foyer with the back of the couch. I plan to get a long table or console to put behind the couch to better define that area. The leather is about the same color as the dark brown chair in the photo.

As you can see, the tiles and paint color are mellow, warm colors. We're moving from a much smaller house so I don't have a ton of furniture. Yet. Also, our style leans toward the western/rustic but I really do not like a lot of native american stuff so I don't want a navajo or hopi-style rug.

Any ideas for colors/designs for a rug in that living room? I've never bought an area rug before so the options and considerations are a little intimidating!
thanks in advance :-)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Emily Hurley
How's it going on the house? Does it look like you'll be getting the keys?
0 Likes   March 11, 2013 at 12:06PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hotdrysunny
Oh thanks for asking. . . so close and yet so far! Turns out the shared well (which I wasn't all that excited about anyway) is insufficient for the three houses that use it so everyone has to haul water. This was something that should have been disclosed to us at the very start (like, maybe in the original listing???) but wasn't so we cancelled the contract.

I sunk into a deep, moribund depression, despairing of ever finding a house and being forced to live in my in-law's house forever when another, even better house popped up.

Not wanting to jinx THIS deal, I'm not even going to describe the darn thing until I'm living in it! I think I won't even log in to Houzz until I can log in FROM that house! ha ha :-)
0 Likes   March 11, 2013 at 4:11PM