powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
I redid the kitchen and took a wall out.
joanbllt
February 25, 2013 in Design Dilemma
The resulting great room makes me happy even tho it's shabby chic and more shabby now than chic. I have a remaining single post - for a load bearing point that is just there. I have been wracking my brains to do something with it but nothing has come up. You can see the post in the first picture and it is just behind the chair in the second picture.

And yes, cats rule, the cat tower, scratching and dirty chairs are all their responsibility
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
Do you want to disguise it or remove it?
February 25, 2013 at 7:03PM   
joanbllt
Can't remove it - a load bearing point for the second floor condo. It is the end point of the previous galley kitchen wall. Need to disguise it or play it up in a useful way. I thought some brainstorming might give me some ideas.
February 25, 2013 at 7:17PM   
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
It could be used to support a breakfast bar. A glass or wood top could work.
February 25, 2013 at 7:35PM   
Brenda Fisher
You could frame it out to match the kitchen cabinets but with a ledge built around it to serve as a end table for the chair. Adding the same architectural trim there and possibly on other features in the great room will make the rooms feel more connected too.
February 25, 2013 at 7:43PM   
joanbllt
Thank you - good ideas - the glass table now there is counter height - long and narrow. We do use it for our only dining area and occasional food prep.
February 25, 2013 at 7:53PM   
PRO
Studio Dearborn
We just wrapped a load bearing column in our finished basement in a high quality jute rope, giving it a nautical look. My cat adores it, and can climb to the top in seconds, scratch claws etc.without doing damage. I saw the idea somewhere on line on another popular decorating website, not specifically for cats but i knew she'd love it. I used lots of Liquid Nails and 3/4" thick rope and got very dizzy during the project wrapping the rope! Let me know if you want a photo.
February 25, 2013 at 7:53PM     
joffler
Your first picture gives the impression you have a cottagey design and the column works well with it. But the second picture reveals your house isn't cottagey and neither are the dining table and chairs. The column looks like a functional column and not much else. And with the two different looks going on, it probably looks and feels likes it's floating and not really doing anything in your favor but in favor to the people above. So I would have to agree with the idea of integrating it into your design scheme.

If this were my house, I would want to beef it up some so it doesn't look like just a column. I might build around it at the top (maybe an18x24 plan) so it would have 4 functional sides (mesage center on one side, keys/mail on the other, coat hooks on another, lighting over the gingham chair for reading, for examples) and build out at the bottom to create a service counter of sorts with storage or display underneath, maybe as a small divider between the dining area and sitting area and have it be a support for either the dining area (serving pieces/coffee service) or the sitting area (library storage). Additionally, you could create the same thing on the opposite side to have a more symmetrical appeal. See the first pic by Emerick Architects that conveys a little along the lines of what I'm envisioning.

I'm sure there are better ideas but I'm just brainstorming, as you said.
February 25, 2013 at 8:29PM   
joanbllt
I opened the wall for a more spacious feeling, but also because the original hallway was only 34" wide - see attached floor plan I have some joint issues and that would be too narrow to negotiate if I needed crutches or a wheelchair.
The chairs and TV are slightly different in the living room area with TV in corner and the two upholstered chairs across from each other on the octagon rug corners.
February 26, 2013 at 1:03AM   
More Discussions
need help with exterior of this house.
This house looks dead. It doesn't have any characters....
Hanging Picture for Isabelle
Hi, I want to keep this picture on/over the mantle,...
Retro kitchen
I'm trying to figure out the name of some retro colors...
what flooring to use ???
We have a lake home in Tahoe with 3 floors Street...
Help Needed With Kitchen Faucet
Please suggest some faucets to go on our kitchen sink....
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.