powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Bedroom- what to do with a dark headboard in a small room?
sawilbur
February 25, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We have a great black velvet tufted king headboard/bed with nailhead detail, but dark grey walls in our master. Love the bed but not sure how to make a great bedroom using it. Thoughts?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
ASVInteriors
Now you have created your dark cosy room - you can go about adding the accessories: For a start you could find a large canvas to place above your bed
OR take 5 framed pictures and work your way across the bed and side tables (as in the image below)
Definitely some cushions will help, and to break up the large expanse that a bed fills in a room, you can place a throw along the bottom third to cut it visually.
Hard to see the rest.

1 Like   February 25, 2013 at 8:52PM
jodylwhite16
You need to invest in a fluffy down comforter. Not sure if that is a duvet or not that you have on the bed. If not, then get a white duvet with a down comforter and fold this comforter at the bottom. The three pillows need to be upright and you need white crips sheets. Fold the sheets so you can see them and only put one of those lombard pillows on the bed. Thats a start. Get a cool piece of art for above the bed. Maybe a birch twig even.
1 Like   February 25, 2013 at 8:53PM
Keitha
Totally agree with Jody about the bedding. Here are some similar rooms and ARTWORK is key.
1 Like   February 25, 2013 at 9:10PM
anne dee
You might want to lighten up the bedding colors as in these inspiration pics
://www.houzz.com/photos/202705/Pulp-Design-Studios-contemporary-bedroom
assuming you are keeping the wall color
1 Like   February 25, 2013 at 9:55PM
anne dee
here's the other pic!!
2 Likes   February 25, 2013 at 9:57PM
sawilbur
All great comments- thank you! The king bed is new and I'm missing my deep-winter warmth down comforter I had on the queen bed from Plumeria Bay- best ever in my book. Need to get a lighter one for the man though, he's not a fan of the super warm blanket. Debating on keeping the wall color but thinking of a blue-ish, with lighter bedding (fluffy comforter as well), thinking the small room would open up with a large floor length mirror and blue/grey paint with lighter color duvet? Definitely need some color above the bed, just not sure how the black velvet would work with those choices.
0 Likes   February 25, 2013 at 10:09PM
meatpie
I love the first posted artwork of the five white frames...yes on comforter. If new bedding not possible buy a cheaper throw in a very light color to lighten it up.
0 Likes   February 25, 2013 at 10:09PM
sawilbur
New bedding is definitely happening, was purchased for a guest room and looks great in the guest room but not so in this dark grey room. New house, trying to get settled... I agree with comments, light or white bedding is the best option. However want to make the most of the small space so fhinking lighter walls would help.
0 Likes   February 25, 2013 at 10:14PM
sawilbur
Any suggestions on where to find great duvets? Looked at the normal places, crate and barrel, west elm, zara home, all modern, layla grayce, pottery barn, restoration hardware, nordstrom, etc..
0 Likes   February 25, 2013 at 10:19PM
Manon Floreat
I'll echo anne dee's ideas and encourage you to go for contrast with the bedding to set off the drama of your headboard to full effect. There are some really good ideas above that may work for you. Another element to consider is a fantastic chandelier in place of what looks like a ceiling fan(?) Some sparkle would be the perfect foil for the moody wall color and dramatic headboard.

You may even think about swapping out the current bench at the foot of your bed for one with a bold pattern.

I'm not sure about the placement of the dresser and nightstand. There may be a better arrangement for you. Post a floor plan or more pics if you can. We may be able to come up with a better arrangement for you.

While this room doesn't have the same wall color as yours, it illustrates how contrast, pattern and little sparkle can make a very sumptuous impact.

1 Like   February 25, 2013 at 10:20PM
anne dee
actually, the one dark wall recedes the space and makes the room seem larger.
See the Vancouver home pic.
0 Likes   February 25, 2013 at 10:21PM
Manon Floreat
Hi, sawilbur. I think I was typing at the same time as you. If you're thinking about changing out the wall color, a creamy ivory might be a good option for you. It'll provide the contrast we've been talking about and will help visually expand the room.

I like your idea of mirrors - another way to enlarge a room. You could think about glass or mirrored nightstands to fulfill this function. Or perhaps a sunburst above the bed.
1 Like   February 25, 2013 at 10:32PM
PRO
Susan Mills Design
I would go with the style of Pulp home. The key is to not have such a bank of pillows and also contrast is highly important! You have such a wall of cushions and pillows you cannot see the headboard. I like Pulp home for the nice contrast, dark headboard, white pillows, then the green ones, and then you see the contrast of the white duvet cover again against the green, and then the coverlet again on the white. This looks very inviting and allows each element to be seen.

Layer a bed, but add contrast, light against dark. You could as well go lighter with your wall colour. Could you take more pictures of your room, it is hard to see everything you have, there may be things we are not aware of such as a rug under the bed or art in the room. Hope that helps.
0 Likes   February 25, 2013 at 10:33PM
PRO
Susan Mills Design
Sending a hello to you Manon, :)
0 Likes   February 25, 2013 at 10:39PM
Manon Floreat
Yes - more pics would be helpful. And as Susan mentions, the rug is another element that plays an important role in a room.
0 Likes   February 25, 2013 at 10:40PM
Manon Floreat
Big hugs to you Susan! It's always a pleasure to see you.
0 Likes   February 25, 2013 at 10:41PM
PRO
Susan Mills Design
You too Manon, I always love to see your comments and your ideas, great taste from a lovely person!
1 Like   February 25, 2013 at 10:50PM