Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Storage in a tiny bathroom
gmacrandall
February 26, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I think a pedestal sink would look and feel better than a vanity but it offers no storage. How can I address lack of storage? Was thinking built-in recessed shelves but the depth would be limited to 3 or 4 inches.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
AMN
What about something like this? Something recessed and built out a little bit:

February 26, 2013 at 9:02AM     
AMN
And then something recessed-only on the left:

February 26, 2013 at 9:03AM   
AMN
If it were mine, I'd keep the vanity. But, if you want a more open feel, a happy-medium might be a vanity with open shelving or storage underneath.
NOT this exact thing (and obviously narrower than this), but a la
Pool Bath Open Vanity

*You would have to be comfortable with open storage.

OR (less desirable)
small bathroom design in former closet by Bay Area remodeling contractor

OR a floating vanity might work -- but care will have to be taken to match the style of the existing bathroom.
Silver
February 26, 2013 at 9:13AM     
gmacrandall
All wonderful ideas, my favorite is the long skinny cabinet to the left. I never would have thought of that. Thank you so much!!
February 26, 2013 at 9:32AM   
hopesilver
The best use of storage by far, in a bathroom, is to invest in a large DEEP (5"min) medicine cabinet.
I do not like drawers. These med cabinets hold everything from shampoo to make up and are easily
seen. If you have room for a triple sized high one, you'll be amazed. but look at your wall space and see whatever you can put into it, and make sure its deep.
I never regretted doing this , and its in my master bathroom.
February 26, 2013 at 9:38AM   
gmacrandall
Can I achieve a 5 inch depth by recessing 3 inches and having 2 inches hanging outside the wall?
February 26, 2013 at 9:42AM   
hopesilver
also even though the walls are only 4 inches approx., these deep medicine cabinets are designed to come out a bit, and come in all shapes. I'd put them on the wall above your sink and get rid of the towel rack. Towels can be put on back of doors and on other walls. Or folded.
February 26, 2013 at 9:43AM   
hopesilver
yes...i have done this in all my bathrooms. checkout the medicine cabinets they have. it does not look like anything is hanging out at all..you don't see it.
February 26, 2013 at 9:50AM   
nikitasmom
A floating vanity opens the space but includes storage, a basket can go below it. California Cool in the Castro-Bathroom
Between the studs mirrored medicine cabinet Olson Design & Construction
February 26, 2013 at 10:02AM     
tamela123
too funny--we just took out our pedestal sinks to add the storage of a sink w vanity
February 26, 2013 at 10:06AM   
tamela123
look up washstands (like in restoration hardware) w an open underneath storage to create the feel of being open--you will still have a LITTLE storage
February 26, 2013 at 10:19AM   
gmacrandall
Just wanted to show everyone our completed new bathroom! I went with a wall mount Ikea sink and addressed lack of storage with an over the door shoe organizer behind the door. It works great and it's totally out of sight. Thanks to all of you here on Houzz -- I learned so much!
July 25, 2013 at 3:54PM     
Anne
WOW! Love the yellow, black and white. I have an IKEA sink and love it!
July 25, 2013 at 4:04PM   
Emily Hurley
Your bathroom is adorable!! Mine is tiny too, with a pedestal and no storage. That organizer idea is fantastic!
July 25, 2013 at 4:15PM   
Kim Macdonald-Ujvari
@AMN where can I get the vanity shown at the Volunteer Park Residence?
July 25, 2013 at 5:45PM   
kathy
instead of a pedestal sink, what about this washstand style? And the semi-recessed medicine cabinet above as shown by AMN at the top of discussion. You still need a place to hang a hand towel and washcloth and these stands give a place for that.

[houzz=Bath 10071]
[houzz=Exchange]
July 25, 2013 at 6:03PM     
susyc842003
question.. what is that you have on the floor? is it some kind of mat?
July 25, 2013 at 8:47PM   
gmacrandall
In addition to the shoe organizer, we went with a small recessed medicine cabinet from Kohler. It's fine for the basics. I love the washstands and the open vanities, but we were space challenged, all of them were too wide for the space. And Suzy, the floor is our tile, a matte black hex (unless you are looking at the green fuzzy rug in the first set of pictures before we gutted the bath).
July 26, 2013 at 4:47AM   
joannef
Our downstairs bathroom has the same layout. We created a shelving system in the wall cavity across from the sink and put custom doors on it.
July 26, 2013 at 10:39AM   
cluedin
Amn - can you come to my house and redesign everything? Love your ideas, especially the 1st one. I have a built in recessed shelf in my basement bath as shwn below. At least ut gives a chance to add some personality with art and accessories.
July 26, 2013 at 10:50AM   
feeny
If you need to, it is possible to squeeze a little more storage space over your toilet.

July 26, 2013 at 11:10AM   
emjfla
gmacrandall, In my daughter's apartment with very small bath, she used a shower curtain that had pockets on the shower side. She placed shampoo, conditioner and all her shower stuff in them. It was clear (like a liner - which is how she used it). You could take it down, wash it on low and re-hang. ...Just another storage idea!
July 26, 2013 at 11:55AM