Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Kitchen Island pendant light dilemma
jaeandc
February 26, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We have a 12' 8" island and are in love with industrial pendants. But we cannot decide how many lights or sizes to get. The island seats 4, has a sink a off center to the right and angles out on the left. Any suggestions?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Revamp Interior Design
I would hang three pendants, two above the straight section and one centered above the angled section. Size is completely based on your preference, we generally keep island lighting about a foot in diameter, give or take.
February 26, 2013 at 10:14AM     
PRO
Dytecture
February 26, 2013 at 10:20AM     
printesa
Three pendants would be nice, LBL has some nice ones.
February 26, 2013 at 10:45AM   
jaeandc
I am just worried that 3 lights for a 12' island might not be enough. If its generally a foot diameter for each light I would only be covering about half the island???
February 26, 2013 at 10:46AM   
jaeandc
What is LBL?
February 26, 2013 at 4:35PM   
PRO
ModaScapes Interior Design
One centered over the sink, the other 3' from that one and the other in the center of the turned part of the island. If the pendants are providing the light to work over the island than make sure that you get a light that is designed to push downward, like an MR15. Three is plenty over your size island. More of the larger industrial style will fill up way too much volume of space near your head and will make the room feel smaller.
February 26, 2013 at 4:46PM   
ruffwood
I am having 3 pendants over a 6' island that seats 3, so I think 3 for 12' might not be enough. I suppose it depends on the colour of the globe or shade.
February 26, 2013 at 4:55PM   
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
If your seating 4 people you should do either 3 or 5 lights. I would do 3.
February 26, 2013 at 5:06PM   
charlottegirl
Love it! What about these? Do just two, but in the bronze finish. They are from Lantern & Scroll (www.lanternandscroll.com or find them on Facebook). Cheers!
February 26, 2013 at 5:27PM   
jaeandc
I will need to post better pics of the island. 3 just doesnt seem right. Maybe if the 3 were like 11"-15" diameter pendants???
February 27, 2013 at 8:38AM   
printesa
apom, LBL is a brand...You can find their lights at lighting universe and other online retailers
February 27, 2013 at 11:23AM   
PRO
Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
The days of three pendants are pretty much done- but if you have your heart set on an industrial pendant then go for it.

I'd find one or two larger pendants like the lanterns - restoration hardware has some really nice ones, make sure you bring some more industrial elements into your home and not just in the kitchen fixtures...it needs to make sense to the rest of your home
February 27, 2013 at 11:29AM     
jaeandc
We are thinking we will go with 3 of the Clemson Pendant 14" Satin Nickel pendants. (The ribbed glass version).
February 28, 2013 at 7:08PM   
jaeandc
The center of the sink is 36" away from the right end of the island. If the pendant is over the sink and 36" away from edge..should I follow 36" for the next pendant? Or should i put them closer like 20-30"?
March 5, 2013 at 4:49PM   
More Discussions
Pergola covering quandary
We recently installed a pergola. There are no mature...
Bathroom in the new house needs help. I love the old subway tiles
This is the bathroom in the house we just bought. I...
What do you guys think about this furniture arrangement?
I always wanted to add two spaces one for us to watch...
Home sick in Louisiana
All I see is brown stain - I have many questions re:...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.