powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
I need help with my living room with a corner fireplace.
debbieleal
February 26, 2013 in Design Dilemma
This room is quite large really at 16' by 17'. I need and want to keep my large couch but I'm tired of the rug I've had for ten years. It's expensive but I think I'd rather have a completely neutral, jute/chenille type rug from Pottery Barn. Also the red leather chair is still in great shape, I'm just tired of reds now. The tall back, green chair has to go, it's not very comfortable. The coffee table? It's large and useful for storing things under it in baskets but maybe too large for this space? The fireplace is all brick from floor to ceiling. I think maybe I've got too much greenery there and need to simplify it somehow. I want a fresh clean but cozy French Country kind of feel in here.
I Have two chairs and a game table sitting behind the regular sitting area. It's a good idea but rarely used.

I'm open for any suggestions!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
debbieleal
Here are a few more views.
0 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 12:01PM
carole
love the cat!!!!! you are right,to much going on at the moment, my solution would be to roll up the rug take out the red chair and the tall green one,put the gametablechairs in there place,move out some of the small tables and decoration and some of the art on the wall,it is all a bit much,make it more open,and then look again,most of your room is ready for the cozy french style,you have the white shutters and a lovely FP,it just needs a few tweeks,change the cushioncovers for more colorfull ones and then..... come winter put back the covers and the rug ,ad a throw and turn the sofa opposite the fire!!!cozy for winter,
0 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 12:15PM
decoenthusiaste
You need to see your room through a fresh pair of eyes - yours. Start by removing everything you said you wanted to get rid of, plus anything that can be put up or boxed up - books, pillows, throws, clock, lamps, accessories, small tables, art. Once you see it without the clutter and stuff you've grown used to I think you'll have a new appreciation of your room's good qualities and can then work to emphasize those. When you remove the FP mirror, which is reflecting the ceiling) plan for one of your paintings that is about 75% of the mantel's width to go in its place. Do some measuring as you clear things out. When you're boxing up items, sort into "Don't Want," "Warm Season," and "Cool Season" labeled boxes. When you're ready to judiciously put things back in the room, you'll have two seasons to work with and so will keep items rotated out twice a year. It will be like having a new room when the seasons change. Post again with the room minimized, and we'll go from there. Next post, focus on shooting the space rather than the furnishings, so we'll better be able to see how to arrange things. You have a nice space and furnishings, so it won't take much to tweak it. Think about flanking the FP with two new chairs and start keeping your eyes open for some you like. Good chance to inject new color with them.
Contemporary Beach Living Room
Old Greenwich Beach Cottage
Family Relaxed style house
Peacock Contemporary Wingback Accent Chair With Chrome Nailhead
Vincent Arm Chair
Harrod Club Chairs
1 Like   February 26, 2013 at 12:27PM
tt67
It looks like a small main gathering area for such a large room. Can you expand the gathering area? I think that would help a lot. Maybe pull the game table chair into the mix when you take the red chair out. A new rug is a must...one that is plain. Just spacing out the furniture and using more of the room and the rug will make it feel less claustrophobic. Everything else will be minor tweaks that I bet will come easy once the layout is set. It's a great looking room.
0 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 12:30PM
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
You already have a beautiful room, and you have a great "eye". Related to what is there now and the future...the seating area is too crowded together. All furniture does not have to be completely on the rug, so I suggest you separate it all a little and let pieces back legs come off the rug. I agree about removing the greens & twigs from the fireplace and elsewhere..simplify. Frankly, I think your rug would be great as it is really a neutral. The natural, jute type rug and pottery barn furniture..could get really boring..you will need pattern..maybe now you have a little pattern overload. Maybe a slipcovered piece such as a sofa in a solid cream. A large patterned chair & ottoman where the green chair is now. Keep the red chair, and remove the red patterned chair and not replace. Make the area seem larger by spreading them out a little. All new tables..streamlined, glass and aged metal..accent with large colorful patterned pillows..all different. Accessories larger and less of them. I like the 2 chairs by the window..recover them in a wide stripe. New drapery panels hung high and 2 on the ends and panels also between windows. Remove all flower arrangement pieces. Think less is more.
1 Like   February 26, 2013 at 12:32PM
cypress
Personally, I like your rug. You have a cozy look going already. I would remove the flowered chair, I think it fights with the rug and prevents entry to other pieces. Replace the mirror with a piece of artwork. Remove the excess greenery in the room and around the fireplace. The bouquet behind sofa is too big. I would take out the tall green chair and see if the 2 game chairs would work in its place.
0 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 12:46PM
More Discussions
My parents have me worried...
Hellow Houzzers, I went to visit my parents yesterday...
paint for my living room
north facing room. only one window and blinds usually...
Can a flush mount light be converted into a hanging chandelier?
My friend fell in love with a hanging chandelier that...
My long narrow entry hall
My entry is 15'x4'. And one long side is completely...
Tiny formal dining room
Hello Houzzers, This is my dining room with my table...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.