Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Color/style of rug to pull it together?
Brooke Strong
February 26, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Any ideas? I am tempted to go with something including orange but may end up switching my accent color in the summer, so I don't want to commit too heavily to it. Thoughts on lite or dark?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Lydia (Kazza Design)
Here are a few different ideas that play with the ethnic feel of your room. The flowered one almost looks like a zebra print but not as bold. The striped one has all the colours of your room including the painting and the Texan-inspired one also pulls your ethnic/eclectic look together. All three rugs give you options to change your accent colour. These are all from Dash & Albert.
February 26, 2013 at 2:03PM   
yourgirlxodo
I think the third striped rug would be perfect, actually.
February 26, 2013 at 2:09PM   
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
Make sure it is a LARGE rug. Select new draperies..neutral..but a darker tone than your walls, hang them higher (95/96" length) 2 panels on each window..but off to the sides. Choose a multi color rug..with all the colors you like..warm tones & cool tones, bright colors and neutrals. Use those colors to choose different sets of pillows for the room and switch them regularly.
February 26, 2013 at 2:16PM   
Brooke Strong
Why change the drapes to a dark color? I definitely need them higher, just haven't had time yet...would you go with dark drapes and a pattern? Also, the armoire to the right is going back in another place. It was temporarily displaced because of the X mas tree. So there will be less business when that is moved.
February 26, 2013 at 4:46PM     
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
Draperies, above I said a slightly darker color than your WALLS. So that is serene..calm. Put all the color in the rug and accessories. A rug something like this..then use the reds, golds during the winter and the blue greens in the summer... http://www.homedecorators.com/P/Stripes_I_Area_Rug/310/
February 26, 2013 at 8:55PM   
Mildred Nival_Jeff
I would first remove rocking horse, add rug, a neutral sisal would be nice and i cant see your coffee table but maybe add a plant or terrarium on it. The drapes can be removed for the warmer months and bamboo shades added instead. Overall, nice room
February 26, 2013 at 9:21PM   
Brooke Strong
Yes, the rocking horse just doesn't "make" the room does it? :). It's going this weekend. Still not sure of darker or lighter rug. I'll post pics of neutral drapes but I like some color. We live in the rainy old NE and I can't stand no color to brighten the mood and energy in the winter especially!! I love the look in magazines but not my daily life (that and it doesn't fare well with 2 & 5 yr old + beagle & mastiff)!
February 26, 2013 at 9:35PM     
Brooke Strong
Okay, rocking horse gone, added side tables but just HATE the grayish tone in the carpet...need a rug and to do something with drapes. Stripes hung higher?
February 26, 2013 at 9:45PM   
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
Did you look at this rug in the red tones? http://www.homedecorators.com/P/Stripes_I_Area_Rug/310/ I would put color and pattern in the rug. I just cannot see a neutral rug on a neutral carpet against neutral walls.
February 26, 2013 at 9:55PM   
Brooke Strong
Barbara, I do like that rug...I was thinking something simple like that, but do you think it's too "cool" (as in cooler blues) for my room?
February 26, 2013 at 10:03PM   
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
Go to the site again and look under the description area ..there are little squares showing all the colors available for this rug. click on the one with red and it will show it in the large window. I like it because it has reds and blues, greens, golds, etc.
February 27, 2013 at 9:27AM     
Brooke Strong
Barbara...funny because I just looked at some rugs and LOVED the red & green version of this (not the rainbow one...though its cool!)
My husband thinks its too much but he is an engineer and would decorate with black wire industrial shelves if he could! :).
February 27, 2013 at 1:53PM   
Brooke Strong
What do you think if this...more subdued and traditional (plus hides kid messes well).
February 27, 2013 at 1:53PM   
PRO
Stanton Designs-online design services
I wouldn't focus on light or dark, I would focus on pattern and texture. That will help pull your room together. Your chair and pillows have stripes so I would stay away from a stripped rug.
February 27, 2013 at 2:25PM     
Brooke Strong
Oh, I changed the pillows. I'll have to put a new photo up. :) Thanks though for that advice. What do you think of the brown one above?
February 27, 2013 at 2:57PM   
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
Put the punch in the rug..one that YOU love.
February 28, 2013 at 5:08PM   
Brooke Strong
Well, after 2 years of telling me he prefers NW craftsman style and fall colors, my husband has decided he loves the "light & airy" look I was TRYING to convince him to go with, so I'll be slowly re-doing the whole room. Argh!
March 27, 2013 at 1:57PM   
Brooke Strong
Just in case, I have a different thread now documenting the transformation of the room from this to "light and chic".
Here's an updated photo of the room...not done yet, still have drapes and chandelier to mount and have to get rug & coffee table. i'll post when I am.
June 4, 2013 at 3:15PM