Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Help to sex up my bathroom
peaceweet
February 26, 2013 in Design Dilemma
So, here is my bathroom. I like the modern look of it, however I want to add a sexiness to it. But I don't know what color would be in harmony with this white-black marble. I recently got this plant to add some green, but I'm not sure green is the perfect color for this type of marble.
I want to buy:
- A nice chandelier (black, or other color that I choose to design bathroom with)
- Same color floor mat
- Candles
- Towels

Do you have any experience with this kind of marble, or any advice on what color would be in perfect harmony with it?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
peaceweet
I will also change the golds to silver, or black
3 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 2:52PM
michigammemom
You already have many romantic elements... a large soaking tub, luxurious marble and a large beveled mirror. Just add some aromatic tea lights, fluffy white towels and a fresh flower arrangement.
5 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 5:26PM
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
Mixing in grey with the black and white will keep things looking rich with a spa style look. I could see a black crystal chandelier in that room. Then add lots of brushed and polished silver accessories.
6 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 5:55PM
PRO
Carolyn C. Interior Decorator, Brampton, ON.
Love the idea of the black crystal chandelier and what about a custom area rug, simple with the white, soft gray and black as borders
1 Like   February 26, 2013 at 6:07PM
PRO
Rugs like this but with a bit of black inset in the border.
1 Like   February 26, 2013 at 6:08PM
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
@Carolyn C, great ideas! Lover those fixtures.
1 Like   February 26, 2013 at 6:13PM
PRO
Design Find
Ooh, all that marble you have! I love it! I think the issue is the tub. It should be more sleek, like the one michigammemom posted. Then the mirror could be removed and replaced with a big, ornate one. And I also like the idea of a very ornate chandelier. Not sure how easy it would be to replace the tub without disturbing all of that marble, though. Something to explore.
1 Like   February 26, 2013 at 6:17PM
PRO
Design Find
As for colors, I'd let that marble take center stage and just do little things here and there - something like this?
3 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 6:19PM
cani
Love your bathroom!
1 Like   February 26, 2013 at 6:20PM
lionnessone
1-place fake candles that are different heights on each step in groups of, three, five, seven, and nine.
2-plants on each plant stand and place a fake candle hidden within each plant.
3-nice crisp white fluffy towels
4-flower arrangements
5-bench or two arm chairs
6-terrariums in very large vases
7-sented candles on your shelf and around the tub
8-champagne glasses
9-silver/crystal cake stand to house your bath soap, oils, and bath accessories.
10-trays for your towels
[houzz=Gatsby][houzz=Clean and Simple]
2 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 7:17PM
DIAspoton
that's an awful lot of marble. pattern. hard edges, solid , cold. i'd love to see a venetian mirror and sconces. some very pale,soft aqua-ice super thick luxe towels and bath mat. the same aqua blue beach glass bottles filled with bath salts.

cap the planter. lose the green. place an elegant container planted with multiple white calla lillies or white orchids.
or the newer variety of extremely bright , almost electric blue orchids. they're fabulous. came out 2 or 3 yrs ago.

an ornate silver tray on the tub surround with varying heights of pretty white candles.

love the 3rd chandelier carolyn posted.

if after all that it still seems busy, consider changing the risers only, to a solid white.
5 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 7:21PM
PRO
Cancork Floor Inc.
I like the sophistication of "smoky quartz" in with the white/grey/black. A chandelier with a hint of "amber" will offer the warmth in colour with out the brashness of "glitzy" that some designers would call for here. Subdued hues instead of the "brightness" of gold/brass, you might want to add some Venetian Glass. This bathroom SCREAMS out Venetian! Google some Venetian glass accents and you will find everything that is required to "sex up" this space. Venice is known for its taste in glass work! Amber glass was a long held tradition and a tightly guarded secret for centuries!
1 Like   February 27, 2013 at 12:16AM
rinqreation
Lots of black, fixtures too, some brushed steel (no chrome). Maybe some mahogany reds and browns. And some sexy purple like plum or eggplant (towels, rug). Love those black chandeliers by the way.

#53 - Owner - Los Altos
Boston Townhouse Powder Room
Tile Jaipuri 4 x 6 Rug
Thomas Paul Rugs Feather in Plum and Cream
1 Like   February 27, 2013 at 3:42AM
peaceweet
Thank you for all the advice! I also considered grey and bought a small bath rug (on the floor in the picture), but look how it disappears among bold white and black. I feel like if you add grey, then you smash all these colors and it looks ugly. Therefore, to add coziness, I thought I should simply add a warm color to the design (like red, yellow, green, orange), or, as DIAspoton suggested, I could add aqua blue, or very pale pink too. I will definitely use one bit of advice from each of u!
0 Likes   February 27, 2013 at 9:33AM
PRO
A Crew of Two
Everyone has a different idea of what sexy is....are you thinking dramatic or soft? To me sexy is feeling like you are going to be pampered and you are escaping. Think hotel, luxurious monogrammed towels and lots of them. Bathrobes, candles, oils, soaps etc. Put them in special bottles. I actually like the look of browns and cocoas and creams with marble. It adds a warmth to the tile without competing, it makes the tile the centerpiece. For drama touches of red. For a chandelier, be sure it is code to put one over the tub, some municipalities will not allow this. Is there room for a velvet chair or chaise?
2 Likes   February 27, 2013 at 10:37AM
PRO
A Crew of Two
A soft place for .........hmmmmmm
1 Like   February 27, 2013 at 10:39AM
Nancy Hehmann
Is there a sink cabinet and is it wood? Or is everything marble? Which is lovely and quite dramatic! Love it!
0 Likes   February 27, 2013 at 10:42AM
PRO
ASVInteriors
Do go over the top and instead of your palm tree, add buckets of orchids (fake or real - whatever works) they should love the humid environment so really you can go real (and the flowers last quite a few months) http://www.usifloral.com/images/silk-flower-arrangements/cream-phalaenopsis-orchid-planter.jpg
1 Like   February 27, 2013 at 10:49AM
peaceweet
No, Carolina, there is no cabinet. Here is the picture of sink from a different angle.
0 Likes   February 27, 2013 at 10:52AM
PRO
Total Quality Home Builders, Inc.
Pull the gold and really focus on the black and grey! Love the grey rugs mentioned above and the black chandeliers! Grey towels will really add a softer touch and candles always help!
0 Likes   February 27, 2013 at 11:07AM
shelleyuk
I would stick with white or use a bright pink if you want a few areas of accent colour. I second the idea about masses of orchids. Buy a big shallow bowl and plant a few in together for a luxury look. There are lots that are white with pink centres.

I think you need to lose the gold. Together with the marble it can look dated.
0 Likes   February 27, 2013 at 11:07AM
PRO
Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
Yup - gold, classic, simplify - work with it not against it.
rounded neutral gray chair - simple floral arrangement - and I'd get rid of the pedestal sink
and put a cabinet in there - you need storage and a countertop! All that marble and a pedestal sink - simplify all of it - let the marble speak - streamline your light fixtures to antique gold - they don't look too bad, but may be time for a change - can't tell. It's gorgeous - it just looks a bit cluttered. Your very lucky to have all this marble!
2 Likes   February 27, 2013 at 11:08AM
shelleyuk
I really like your grey rug. Grey is a great colour for this room.
0 Likes   February 27, 2013 at 11:08AM
DIAspoton
oh dear, there is nothing sexy about seeing the toilet while trying to be romantic in the tub.

could you have a glass block 1/2 wall installed? even if it means losing the planter.
the toiletries need storage. a venetian mirror medicine cabinet and replace the pedestal sink with a charcoal gray cabinet with a sink.
1 Like   February 27, 2013 at 11:12AM
Amy Stanley
Not a fan of the brass, I think a brushed nickel would nice in its replacement. The mirrors could be painted out with metal paint to match or you could replace with white wooden mirrors to warm the space up a bit. I would replace the sconces to compliment the chandelier that your choose. I would try to rework that planter, could it have a hinged top added that would provide you with some storage and give you a solid surface to decorate? I like your original idea of adding a color into the room with some accents but white is so spa like I am thinking may be color just in art, flowers or glass jars to hold bath items. Search recycled glass bath accessories right on this site and you will get some ideas.- the ones I love are from pottery barn.
0 Likes   February 27, 2013 at 11:25AM
PRO
ModaScapes Interior Design
If your goal is to add warmth, than removing the warm metal (gold) and adding gray (gray) accessories is not going to do it for you. Every color in the spectrum goes with black/white, so you can't really go wrong. If you stick to the warmer half of green, yellows, oranges, reds and the warmer half of purple, then you'll achieve warmth. Keep the bits of color at eye level, where you can almost feel the warmth, like in Marie's picture. Without that pink, the room would be far too cold. A rug that blends into the floor will feel more spacious and you don't really need to draw attention to the floor.
2 Likes   February 27, 2013 at 11:45AM
gmlong
The room is lovely, but leaves no impression.
I could do wonders with what you have. The only thing I would do that is major is get rid of the bidet and move the toilet away from the sink to make room for a lovely cabinet: http://flavahome.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/luxury-bathroom-cabinets-mirrors.jpg
4 Likes   February 27, 2013 at 1:53PM
PRO
Love the addition of pink as mentioned about, but to me it's pretty and lovely, not sexy.
0 Likes   February 27, 2013 at 2:27PM
PRO
Other side
0 Likes   February 27, 2013 at 2:29PM
PRO
"Sexy"
1 Like   February 27, 2013 at 2:30PM
cani
gmlong, love the curtains and accessories!
0 Likes   February 27, 2013 at 2:33PM
gmlong
Thank you Cani ...I think it really pulls it together with minimal additions
0 Likes   February 27, 2013 at 2:38PM
peaceweet
GmLong, wow, this is awesome. What program did u use to create this?
0 Likes   February 27, 2013 at 4:03PM
gmlong
Just used a quick cut and paste in photoshop. I have been doing it to visualize my decor too.
0 Likes   February 27, 2013 at 4:11PM
PRO
ModaScapes Interior Design
I agree with gmlong- fabric would go a really long way in warming the space up as well. Everything is so hard and abrupt.
0 Likes   February 27, 2013 at 4:39PM
PRO
Molly Elizabeth Design
I don't see any towels in there. Nothing seems less sexy than getting out of a warm tub and starting to shiver or slip-sliding your way to the towel rack. And I don't see many natural elements ... maybe you can find a large drum size bowl close to the tub and stuff it with plush towels as a way to be practical, add color, and add a soft warm element.
0 Likes   February 27, 2013 at 4:51PM
PRO
A Crew of Two
My only thought about pink is it's very feminine and pretty.....i think deeper colors are sexier than pink. Decorating is very personal though, so choose what you love! Please post pics when you are done
2 Likes   February 28, 2013 at 3:23AM
PRO
bathhousewirral
I agree with this point that a pink can change look of your bathroom.
0 Likes   February 28, 2013 at 3:54AM
peaceweet
You guys rock!!! Thanks for so many ideas!!! Here are my initial plans for the decor
0 Likes   February 28, 2013 at 5:27AM
peaceweet
and here are the rest.
- I will hang the chandelier over the toilet seat, so no risk with hanging over the bathtub.
- I have very similar mirror, I will hang it in front of the sink.
- Will change the sink to something very modern, but also will put storage space underneath.
- Lots of candles on stairs.
- White tulips on flower stands
- Will get rid of bidet
- Very soft touch of pink with one bath mat and a pink Lounge chair.
- And lots of towels!!!!

I am so excited!!!
1 Like   February 28, 2013 at 5:33AM
calikym
Black and graphite velvet with shiny bling on black like others mentioned and red roses. RED is sexy. Pink is too feminine, not sexy, in my opinion.
1 Like   February 28, 2013 at 5:52AM
PRO
Looks great!!!
1 Like   February 28, 2013 at 7:48AM
peaceweet
wow Carolyn, for some reason the photos you had posted didn't come out yesterday. I see them just now You are right, the sexy version looks much hotter!! We have similar his bathroom of my husband right next to mine, he has a shower cabin instead of a jacuzzi, so I'm thinking to put the style that you created with blacks in his bathroom.That would look hot! Now, I am not really sure about the pink, looking at the designs you created, I will have to brainstorm more. Did you also use photoshop?
0 Likes   February 28, 2013 at 7:55AM
PRO
Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
Pink is sexy - if it is used with restraint and tact. If you plaster pink all over it then that's not sexy.
Also, if you intensify the tone of pink to a dark, deep magenta - its a fresh, current, envogue colour this year -

Covering up the marble with pictures of half-naked women is NOT sexy - the only naked bodies in this bathroom should be you and your lover!
0 Likes   February 28, 2013 at 10:55AM
PRO
Glad they help Peaceweet. No, it wasn't photoshop, it's a professional software I have called dreamdraper, not inexpensive :-) I think a beautiful window treatment with an arched top in that window would look lovely and help to provide some softer lines in the space, something really rich and full and even puddled on the sill if it's not often disturbed. Then for the rug, I'd do a custom rug with the warm white or light gray, gray and black but bevelled where they meet so it's rich and expensive looking or even something like the ones below.

If you want to keep the space looking large go with the white and gray as the main colour and black as the border inset and if you if the space is huge and you want to cozy it up and add some drama then use the black or darker gray as your main colour. If you are keeping the gold/brass in there, there is a rug below that may not be too busy that has gold and gray.

You could still bring in some pinks and tourquoise if you like.

I lovely bench or chaise would be nice in a velvet or white terry cloth - would make the space feel a bit more cozy.

Good luck, post you after photos, would love to see them :-)
0 Likes   February 28, 2013 at 11:34AM