Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Curtains? Blinds? Shades?
sierra251
February 26, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hello everyone! Need help with window coverings. We just bought a new house, and window coverings are first thing. The windows face SSE onto an empty field, but we do have neighbors close by on either side and no fences . Also, this will be the primary TV viewing room, so light control is necessary. Custom is too expensive, as we will likely only live here 2-3 years, so off the shelf suggestions, please :)
The only furniture that we are set on so far is a white leather couch with chaise. The couch has clean modern lines. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. The pic is from the listing, hopefully it's not too blurry. Also, hopefully you can see the large moldings above the windows. Thanks again!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
sierra251
This pictures show the type of style or feel we like.
February 26, 2013 at 2:18pm   
PRO
Blinds Direct Canada
I would recommend going with Cellular shades with a top down bottom up option. I would also put up decorative drapery to frame the windows.
http://www.blindsdirectcanada.com/blinds-toronto/shades-toronto/cellular-shades.html
February 27, 2013 at 12:23pm     
PRO
Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design
Ditto the Cellular shades here. Instead of drapery you could make the most of the window moldings by painting the room a soft color. A pair of chairs with a table between will make a nice conversation spot and the chairs can be pulled up to the main seating group when you like. Pick chairs with a cane back to filter the light and give the room a relaxed attitude. The table can be skirted in a great fabric and be topped in glass. Place a lamp off-center and add framed photos, small stack of books or a group of miniatures. This whole plan will work whether you go Modern, Contemporary, or Traditional.
February 27, 2013 at 12:34pm   
PRO
CMR Interiors & Design Consultations Inc.
Solar shades with drapery would be nicer. I don't like cellular shades....they look like those paper window treatments everyone gets at Home Depot after they have bought a place but before their window treatments come in. I'd rather see you have glare control without the accordion look. Plus cellular are costly.
February 27, 2013 at 12:37pm   
PRO
sierra251
Thanks, I have to agree with CMR, I don't like cellular shades either. What do you guys think of a roller or roman blind?

Jeffery, I like the idea of the cane chairs, but worry if they will actually ever get used because of their comfort level (or rather -lack of). I am thinking a wing back like the one attached would be great, but wonder if it's too heavy?
February 27, 2013 at 1:14pm   
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
I also don't care for cellular shades. I would suggest white 2 or 2-1/2" blinds. Look good with anything, and better for resale.
February 27, 2013 at 1:23pm   
loriwcox
I had Smith Noble solar shades in my loft and absolutely LOVED them!
February 27, 2013 at 1:32pm   
dlapollo
white sheers 96 inch floor to ceiling
pin tucked if you want to spend a little more
but always go floor to ceiling..
February 27, 2013 at 1:48pm   
PRO
OK, so the shades I'm referring to are "Silouette" shades. These are constructed like a blind with sheer farbric attached at front and back. These are a clean elegant way to dress your windwos. Drapery will conceal the beautiful moldings. Paint the walls in a color which will point up the beautiful trim. Cane chairs would be a luxe addition,. They add another layer of texture. If the room is to be used for TV or lounging then forget this. If not, Use a cushioned seat and a loose cushion (pillow) at the back. I'm sending a pic. If you decide you prefer wing chairs, use a more slender profile. The chair you posted is a d-a-w-g. (Sorry!) chairs at this height which widen at the top will block all your sunlight, look clumsy, and the frames droop and sag at the top unless they are bench-made (expensive).
You can get some ideas online by visiting Lee Furniture, Century Furniture or Baker.
February 27, 2013 at 2:03pm   
PRO
PS Highlight the photo on the left to see the entire cane chairs.
February 27, 2013 at 2:04pm   
PRO
Wholesale Shutter Company
I would like to suggest white wood shutters with 3 1/2" or 4 1/2" louvers. The shutters would allow you to enjoy your view without having to completely open the panels. Shutters may be a little pricier than other window treatments, but they would add value to your home.
February 27, 2013 at 2:05pm     
PRO
Julie Thome Draperies, Inc.
I hear that you want to keep the price down. Take a look at woven shades with a blackout lining. The price point on them is generally lower than fabric romans and even HD products. They have a lot of character and texture, with the blackout lining will cut the light completely when down. If you dont want blackout then go for a privacy lining...partial room darkening.

Alterantively, if you b ought off the shelf drapery panels, you can always take them with you to the next house and use again and alter them if needed. They are more versatile in the sense that they can be drawn completely and dress the room nicer.

Shutters will be pricey and will not be going anywhere after you leave.
It's a lovely room and would look great with panels, but OK with wovens too.
February 27, 2013 at 2:12pm   
PRO
Sherry Payne
I would say depending on your style shutters may be an added value to your home. Cellular shades would also be an option and you could add fabric treatments if you wanted to add color or warmth. Hope this helps in your decision.
February 27, 2013 at 2:20pm   
sierra251
I love the idea of curtain panels, but worry that the windows are too close together. I am afraid that it will just look like a big wall of windows and fabric with no negative/wall space between the windows and curtains.

Jeff: Those cane chairs are gorgeouse, I think I will look for something similar, but that can be made comfy with pillows and ottoman. This room is our only livingroom. There are only two of us, so in reality we will likely both be on the couch anyway. Thanks for the honest opinion on the wing back. Sometimes those things just need to be said, lol.

I will definately be painting. I am waiting for the builder to send over the flooring samples so I can pick a paint color in a tone that compliments the floors.

I have attached a picture of the adjoining dining/kitchen area for a better feel of the space. (This is the area that the picture of the fireplace and windows were taken from).
February 27, 2013 at 3:51pm   
PRO
Julie Thome Draperies, Inc.
You have plenty of room between windows for panels. Not sure whether you want them to close on the wider window or not, but you can stack 1 width panels easily beside each window.
February 27, 2013 at 3:53pm   
PRO
Cheery Curtains
Custom curtains needn't to be expensive and you will have a beautiful view to accompany you in the coming 2 to 3 years. Attached are some curtain photos you may like. Give me the window size and I will work out the most economical solution for you.

Please feel free to contact me if any questions, and I would be more than glad to help.:)

Nophie
Cheery Curtains
Email: nophie@cheerycurtains.com
February 28, 2013 at 4:08am   
More Discussions
Have you ever sold a home as a "For Sale By Owner" transaction?
I've never been brave enough to go it alone when selling...
How to add character with paint and landscaping
Just moved into this ranch home and we are going to...
throw pillows
Does anyone know where to find cheap throw pillows...
Have you bought a new build? - What do you wish you knew?
Have you ever bought a brand new house directly from...
Keep the Floor or Replace?
I have a beautiful, 30-year-old, hand laid, UNFINISHED...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.