Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Staircase Stain Ideas
cdeb
February 26, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Please let me know your advice on staining this staircase. The current plan is treads, rail, posts and the design element in jacobean or ebony, the spindles in white and the stringer and riser in an english chestnut stain. Do you think I should go white with the stringer and risers too?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
It seems a shame to paint that beautiful wood. Although I do love the stairs on the TV show Revenge. The Greyson Manor staircase in white and black looks amazing.
February 26, 2013 at 3:14PM     
cdeb
I feel if I stain the wood it will look too colonial for my taste and design. I love that staircase too and some things need to be kept classic and classic is the black and white staircase in the Greyson Manor. Thanks for your advice.
February 26, 2013 at 3:18PM     
PRO
Barnhart Gallery
Where I see that your trim is white, I would, seeing as there's still plenty of wood that you'll stain dark. I also see that your windows aren't over the top traditional, so take a little license and really do what you like here. It's quite grand; I think I might just wear a ball gown most of the time, tiara on my birthday.
February 26, 2013 at 3:25PM   
PRO
Colom and Brit Interiors
I love a stately staircase! I would paint the rails and steps white and do a dark stain on the banister and tops of steps. See the attached photos.
February 26, 2013 at 3:53PM   
PRO
Colom and Brit Interiors
this is a detailed image of the actual steps
February 26, 2013 at 3:54PM   
groovycoconut
While the wood is gorgeous and would look awesome stained it will look like the stairs in a plantation house, which I understand is not the look you want. I agree with the idea to paint the stairs black and white. It will look classy and stylish! Have fun!!
February 26, 2013 at 4:01PM     
jayde1
We painted our bannister black. The step treads are oak with a white riser and spindles white .
March 4, 2013 at 3:59PM   
rhyss
I like all one color, tone on tone.The staircase is beautiful , great detail , dont distract from that by making it busy. Less is more. Use a tone of the wall color . Try Benjamin Moore Moonlight white for stairs and walls , ceiling and trim. I promise you will thank me! This color is so pleasing day and night. You'll feel happy in it
March 4, 2013 at 4:06PM   
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.