Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with foyer/entryway
paulapisani
February 26, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Blank slate...I don't even know where to begin. Matchy matchy on both sides or mix it up? Round table, demilune, chest, console, floor length mirror, chair....ahhhh?!? I would love any ideas thx! Ps. Color is BM sag harbor grey
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
JWinteriors
Matchy idea would be to place a 5x8 area rug with color. Place large ferns on pedestal on either side. Non matchy...fern on left side. 2 prints, one on top of each other on the right wall with a zebra print bench below.
2 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 5:20PM
jakdsgn
I would suggest a love seat at an angle in the right corner (facing the door) and a round table in the left corner. It would be nice to have type of complementary art work hanging on the wall on both sides of the door (either in shape, color, design, color, or motif). Keep the foyer simple and uncluttered because from a feng shui perspective, the entrance represents where opportunity comes into your lives. Also, consider painting the exterior and interior of your front door a color different from your home's facade and foyer wall color to attract positive energy into your lives.
1 Like   February 26, 2013 at 5:23PM
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
I like the idea of keep things symmetrical in a formal foyer like yours.
3 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 5:25PM
valbonne
Would love to be greeted by a dark pedestal table on top of a large traditional patterned rug. On the table I would see a huge pot containing orchids in bloom.
2 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 5:39PM
myrns
I'm sure you will get lots of brilliant suggestions. I have a similar looking entrance and want to replace the front door because it is old. Not suggesting you need to do that. When I replace the door & frame would it be preferable for the bottom of the side lights to line up with top of the wainscotting? Sorry to barge in on your request for help. I could post separately but your photo is perfect for my needs.
1 Like   February 26, 2013 at 5:41PM
PRO
Carolyn C. Interior Decorator, Brampton, ON.
I love the idea of two benches with a mirror above each on either side of the door as in the attached image. The angles are wrong, the benches would fit flush on the wall on either side with mirrors above, or artwork above - on one side you could do two mirrors and on the other side you could do two pictures. And a rug with a beautiful chandelier above
2 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 5:57PM
paulapisani
Thank you Carolyn C!!!!! Fab ideas and love that you gave me a visual, thank you!!!
0 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 6:08PM
Lkristine
If it were mine, in the left corner, (as pictured) I would add a chair at an angle. Chair idea, http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Lola-Seashell-Tufted-Armless-Chair/5992055/product.html A very small end table with some transitional bling next to it, http://www.wayfair.com/Monarch-Specialties-Inc.-Mirrored-End-Table-I-3705-MNQ1499.html Then a black and white large modern floor vase and add a tall arrangement to it. http://www.kaboodle.com/reviews/oslo-floor-vase-45--white (not the chair pictured with the vase.) And in the right corner, a console table like this, http://www.wayfair.com/Bassett-Mirror-Borghese-Console-Table-8311-400-BMR1426.html Artwork hung vertically to fit the area above the console table to balance the height of the floor vase on the opposite side with a tall arrangement. http://www.wayfair.com/Uttermost-Orange-Florals-Wall-Art-Set-of-6-41258-UM8343.html A bold area rug that is still neutral while allowing you to add some color to the console/end table from whatever artwork you might choose would look awesome and allow for easy change down the road if you feel like it, or easy change in accent color based on seasons.......... http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Hand-tufted-Alexa-Spectrum-Chevron-Wool-Rug-5-x-8/5951969/product.html You have plenty of symmetry that offers many possibilities....you can go either way, but one way may be a little too symmetric and possibly end up looking harsh and conforming. Can only attach 4 photos, so I will do the left 3 first, then the right 3 examples.
1 Like   February 26, 2013 at 6:21PM
Lkristine
And the right corner and area rug......
2 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 6:23PM
lizzyhouzz
Wow, this is like my dream entryway! I love the idea of the 2 benches against the wall with mirrors or artwork above. Otherwise I would do the artwork as suggested above, or sconces, with a pedestal table in the middle on a rug, like the photo below. I think it's ok not to fill it up with a ton of furniture because the architecture is so beautiful!

1 Like   February 26, 2013 at 6:45PM
PRO
Carolyn C. Interior Decorator, Brampton, ON.
I could be seeing this in the wrong way, but from the way it's showing on my screen it doesn't look big enough for a table in the middle or loveseat or large chair, but then I could be seeing it entirely wrong :-)
It's difficult on this site because we are all looking on different sized screens etc. But for sure all great input and then Paula, you can tape things on the floor to see how they will fit.

Good luck. Beautiful space!!!
0 Likes   February 27, 2013 at 5:50AM
ajswanson1
I would have a table on the left for keys etc. and a chair on the right for sitting(guests, putting on boots). Also a nice umbrella stand.

I'd use a rug with color to brighten the space and a couple of long narrow pictures with colors from the rug. They don't have to be the same picture but the same size.
1 Like   March 1, 2013 at 6:52AM
tio2
First, find a large rug with color. Then add a large, tall palm in corner. Finally, add a table or small chest with marble top for keys and mail with closed storage below. Add a buffet lamp and topiary on top.
1 Like   March 1, 2013 at 8:54AM