powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
How to turn traditional oak raised panel kitchen into Arts and Crafts or Craftsman look
twelvegates
February 26, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I am tired of this kitchen and would like to make it look more Arts/Crafts or Craftsman-like. I think there isn't much I can do unless I change the doors on the cabinets to a flat panel. I think the stain color needs to change. I hope there are others that can consider this and think more "outside the box." If you think my dream is hopeless without a major remodel, go ahead and say so. TIA.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
surfor
Replace the cabinet doors with Oak Shaker doors --- you could probably keep the drawer fronts as they look like they are slab. Stain should be a darker brown. (Look at the darkest oak pieces in the floor - go even darker). Cabinet drawer pulls and knobs in a burnished bronze, squared Shaker style knobs. You might need to change out the pendant lights, but that would be the last step. You might consider changing the crown molding for a simpler, Shaker-style molding if the budget allows. The granite counter tops and what looks like an off-white or slightly beige tile will work well. Looks like you've got a well laid out kitchen with plenty of storage.
February 26, 2013 at 6:06PM   
0825sam
One thing would be larger more dramatic pendant lights
Here is the link to arts and crafts from rejuvenation http://www.rejuvenation.com/catalog/categories/lighting/arts-crafts
February 26, 2013 at 6:06PM   
twelvegates
Thank you both.

I was thinking about changing both the cabinet doors and pendant lights, but am a little fearful of refinishing the entire cabinets to match the darker tone that I need for the look I'm after.

Anyone ever try to strip existing cabinets and match them to newly finished doors???
February 26, 2013 at 7:29PM   
surfor
Stripping is a big job, but the company that sells you the new cabinet doors should be able to help you with the refinishing of your existing cabinets. It would be difficult to match the new doors to the existing stained cabinets because oak darkens as it ages, so I think a new stain, or refinishing would be a part of the package that came with new doors.
February 26, 2013 at 8:00PM   
Heather Tolley
I think your kitchen is basically very pretty and functional. I would start with smaller things and see how you like it. Try some splashes of color. If you like red, that always adds character. A red carpet in front of the sink. Maybe a big red bowl with different fruits in it. It sort of looks like a rental kitchen because you haven't really added your style to it. The kitchen itself is very nice, just not real personal.
February 26, 2013 at 8:25PM     
Heather Tolley
Maybe some plates or wrought iron over the window with the sink.
February 26, 2013 at 8:26PM   
twelvegates
Thanks for the input. The pictures are depersonalized as I wanted to see what I had, bare bones. I'm still yearning for Craftsman, but don't know if I want to spend thousands to get it there.
February 26, 2013 at 8:32PM   
PRO
Ironwood Builders
Regardless of how you get there, reface, new doors, strip, sand and stain, total gut....it is going to be thousands. How many thousands is the operating question. Sorry to rain on you parade...sweat equity is great...without skill and expertise, results tend to be pretty unprofessional. By the way, most arts and crafts kitchens were unfitted. A table, a big hutch, a sink and drain board and a stove. White paint was common...it looked clean...showed dirt to be cleaned up. I know the history lesson doesn't bed your yearning for a modern craftsman kitchen...but there could be other options.
February 26, 2013 at 10:00PM