powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Help me find an indoor gate: functional, ornamental, inexpensive.
rojonogo
February 26, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I want to install a garden-style gate across the threshold to our living room from the main entry. We've adopted two small dogs and within 6 months, they had destroyed the whole room, including the adjacent dining room. Now that we have replaced the flooring and furniture, we have to keep these little guys out of there. I found a couple of really nice dog fences, but they won't quite do. Here are the products that almost work:
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yvonnecmartin
Absolutely beautiful dog--of this isn't yours, I apologize but expect that yours is just as nice.

What about these gates doesn't work? Is it the style? Or the function? Part of the solution might be to train the dogs that this is not their space.
2 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 5:36PM
rojonogo
Our threshold is a little wider than these fences, at 73". Another problem is that the gate within the fence is only 32" wide. As this room is the formal entertaining room, and the first space that accomodates guests, I don't want visitors to have to squeeze through a small gate, one at a time. I really prefer the look/idea of a garden gate. I thought I had the solution with the following from Garden.com, for about $200.00. But then I realized it is supported by staking into the ground. It wouldn't work indoors.
0 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 5:41PM
lionnessone
Training is in need for your adopted four legged friends not a gate.
3 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 5:41PM
rojonogo
We adopted these dogs. They would have to be deprogrammed before they could be trained! We are doing what we can, but in the short term, we need to be able to live our lives and protect the new interiors from destruction. I really could use input from those of you with ideas about the design issue. Please, no more posts about training, behavior, etc. I post on a pets forum for advice in those areas.
4 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 5:46PM
rojonogo
I have seen so many lovely gate designs through images search, but almost all of these lead me to artisans who forge custom designs. Does anyone have leads on a source for gates in stock?
0 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 5:48PM
DIAspoton
check frontgate.com they have some nice looking ones. in fact you might check there outlet store. i know i've seen them there at times.
1 Like   February 26, 2013 at 5:53PM
PRO
Susan Mills Design
Hi rhondajordan, did you look at this website? http://www.three-little-pitties.com/indoor-dog-gates.html

Good luck!
1 Like   February 26, 2013 at 5:54PM
1 Like   February 26, 2013 at 5:54PM
lionnessone
Have you consider split doors!
[houzz=
]
2 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 5:55PM
lefty47
HI -- The trick I found is to look at BABY gates not ones just for dogs . I had a wood baby gate that attached to the side walls and cleared the floor by the amount of inches you need . It worked great and in time the dog learned the house rules . So you will need a gate in the mean time . I don't like the ones in the pictures shown because they rest on the floor and in time that will harm the floors .Training is great but it's not instant . Love and patiance and time , that's what is needed.
5 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 5:57PM
1 Like   February 26, 2013 at 5:58PM
rojonogo
The gates in this photo I found here on Houzz.... that's kind of what I have in mind. I need to find a ready-made, discount version of the ones in this dream house. {:-)
Mediterranean Living Room design by Los Angeles General Contractor SoCal Contractor
Hmmm, that didn't work. It's a room I copied to my ideabook.
0 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 6:05PM
rojonogo
Lionesse, I love split doors! But this is a wide, open space with no doors. Abt 73" across, adjoining entry way.
0 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 6:08PM
onthefence
Is this the one rhonda?

1 Like   February 26, 2013 at 6:09PM
rojonogo
DIAspoton, I had just discovered Frontgate.com tonight! That's where I found the pet fences, which really are wonderful. This kind of source is exactly what I am looking for -- other sites like Frontgate that might have just what I need.
0 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 6:13PM
cani
Rhonda, where did you find that first picture with the dalmation? I haven't seen that type of gate with what looks like glass in it. We have the exact same problem with keeping our dogs out of the living room. I even thought about putting up some type of glass room dividers which would probably cost a small fortune. Right now I'm just using one of those Xpens put in a straight line which looks horrible.
1 Like   February 26, 2013 at 6:14PM
1 Like   February 26, 2013 at 6:15PM
rojonogo
Susan, I just checked out your links. Thanks! It also has info on training the dogs to "respect" the new wall/gate addition, so they won't try to destroy it as well.
1 Like   February 26, 2013 at 6:18PM
rojonogo
Thank you, lefty. :-) I have looked at baby gates, too. Design-wise, I have decided I want an ornamental gate, something that looks as if I would have wanted it there even if I didn't have dogs.
0 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 6:22PM
lionnessone
You can install two split doors or how about the french style doors pictured above.
I wish you all the luck in the world with your two beautiful new pets.
Good luck finding the right gate. :)
1 Like   February 26, 2013 at 6:22PM
rojonogo
Onthefence, YES! That is the one. I need a low-budget, non-custom version of that. :-D
0 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 6:24PM
Judy M
This will not suit your needs but it is awesome.

3 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 6:29PM
gmacrandall
Grandin Road has a nice freestanding pet gate.
1 Like   February 26, 2013 at 6:32PM
rojonogo
Cani, I found it and some other awesome options at www.frontgate.com, in their pet section. This one isn't glass, though. It is scrollwork over mesh. Really nice.
0 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 6:38PM
rojonogo
Judy, awesome indeed!
0 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 6:40PM
rojonogo
gmacrandall, it is adorable! Our boys are that small, but they could jump that height like showhorses. Thanks for the tip about Grandin Road. I have bookmarked the site.
0 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 6:45PM
lefty47
HI -- Rhonda - I under stand --- yes the baby gates are not very stylish just functional . Have you gone to a wrought iron shop and see what they can do and for how much . Or maybe a talented carpenter could help you out . I would love to see a photo of your new puppies ! I lost my little one ( 4 lbs.) in October, Merlin was 16 yrs old and I miss him -- my heart is still broken . My daughter fosters for a rescue org -- 8 big dogs right now, So, bless you Rhonda for adopting.
1 Like   February 26, 2013 at 6:54PM
onthefence
Rhonda, this may be as simple as going to Home Depot or Lowes and purchasing a couple of wrought iron gates. I know they're available pre-made. You'll probably have a better selection of sizes and patterns though by going to a specialty fence/gate supplier.

If you CAN find something you like at HD/Lowes you'll probably need to attach it to the outer frame of the entry with hinges and put a catch of some sort on it. I'm guessing that 2 gates at 36.5" wide will be tricky to find. If you can mount them on the outside frame that will give you a little more flexibility in size.

I know this isn't what you're looking for, but I found this wood one as well which I think is gorgeous! You need to expand the photo to see the gate on the far right.

As I tell my DH often about our puppies -- it's a good thing they're cute!! ;-)

1 Like   February 26, 2013 at 7:09PM
groveraxle
1 Like   February 26, 2013 at 7:11PM
1 Like   February 26, 2013 at 7:16PM
groveraxle
wood, metal, and other extra wide gates here: http://www.americas-pet-store.com/extra-wide-pet-gates.html
1 Like   February 26, 2013 at 7:19PM
shortped
Definitely Frontgate as someone else mentioned
1 Like   February 26, 2013 at 7:38PM
rojonogo
Here are some pics to show the difficulties with the space. We are renovating these rooms. Floor is now a light stone tile. Windows and trim will be white, and walls will be sky blue.
Because I took these photos tonight, you don't get an idea of how much sunlight the living/dining rooms get. We also have large mirrors that enhance that. With the new stone tile, we are taking kind of a greenhouse approach. I have large potted plants that will go there, and I am considering a small, wall fountain...(?) This is why I thought the ornamental, garden gate idea might work at the threshold, even if the dogs were not an issue.
0 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 8:05PM
rojonogo
It is a very awkward length, made more awkward by the partial wall there. (Is there a name for that?) Because it's about 70", if we do find a gate, we will need to attach a matching fence panel, even if we found a double gate. Another reason I started considering an ornamental gate: Our replacing the carpet with sealed stone resulted in an unsatisfactory threshold where it meets the hardwood entryway. I thought a gate/fence idea would take care of that. We haven't yet found a transition strip that will work well, as the floor varies slightly in height and width of the grouted area. This house was built in the '70s, so a lot of the features/floor plans are difficult to work around.
0 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 8:18PM
rojonogo
Onthefence, I LOVE that wooden gate in the photo you posted!!!
1 Like   February 26, 2013 at 8:19PM
rojonogo
Home Depot/Lowe's/Marvin's were my first thought. I was surprised that I couldn't find anything in the online catalogs. It's good to know there might be something in stock if I go to the local stores. As for specialty fence stores, that may be what I have to do -- but I am afraid the project would be unaffordable at that point. Very good advice!
0 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 8:22PM
PRO
Ironwood Builders
In a previous post Deborah at Brickwood Homes recommended Invisible Fence. They have indoor products too. Training my two runaway with the outdoor version took 15 minutes.
1 Like   February 26, 2013 at 8:35PM
DIAspoton
many people swear by invisible fence but it has 2 major drawbacks.

1st : dogs sometimes become so excited by something outside the fence. they run right through it and get zapped. then won't go back in knowing they'll be zapped again so they wander off.

2nd : dogs inside the fence are vulnerable to attack by a loose dog because there is nothing to prevent him from entering your yard.

many rescue groups do not consider invisible fence acceptable for unattended dogs.
2 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 8:49PM
rojonogo
Our little ones can't go outside unattended. We live on a busy road, for one thing. For another, a hawk has lately staked out our area as a hunting ground. He swooped so close to me one day, I felt his breeze before I saw him. Hawks have plucked up small dogs and cats around here. Now, coyotes have infiltrated our little suburban town! What next?

Ironwood, thanks for the tip about the indoor invisible fence products.
0 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 9:21PM
rojonogo
(By the way, these are the ferocious monsters that ruined the carpet, drapes, and sofas in the living room. ::wink:: )
1 Like   February 26, 2013 at 9:36PM
onthefence
rhonda, just saw Ironwood's answer on another thread. Bummer! The wood one we both like hopefully might be an option to have built?

Your ferocious monsters are adorable!! I'll bet that's the same expression they were wearing when you discovered the havoc they created in your living room!
1 Like   February 26, 2013 at 10:55PM
PRO
Ironwood Builders
diaspoton, The rescue groups don't have as much say here. Dogs can be shot for messing with livestock...legally. I discussed the invisible fence idea with them as both my dogs came from the local Humane Society. They were all for it as away of keeping my dogs inside my acre and half of fenced and gated property...fully fenced...Escape Artist One and his good bud Rocky. After $600 in fines the invisible fence was a cheap alternative. Both my dogs were big, smart and hyperactive, so a single dog wasn't much of an issue...more was a pack of coyotes or a mountain lion...or Animal Control. Escape Artist eventually ignored the pain and came and went as he pleased...he went. Rocky passed last fall of cancer after 13 great years. He never left the property again...and I left the fence off for the last 7 years of his life.
1 Like   February 26, 2013 at 11:18PM
PRO
Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
I'd hire a local millworker or iron smith to come out and give you an estimate on something custom.
Sunday shopping for the local artisans is always a great idea too - good luck!
1 Like   February 27, 2013 at 12:09AM
PRO
Andrea Prasch
Oh I so feel for you on this one. I have a fourteen month old and my dogs do more damage in a week then my daughter will ever do! They don't even destroy anything it's the dog hair, tracking dirt in and licking themselves on my suede couch...let me know what you find because i'm stumped in our small town-home.
1 Like   February 27, 2013 at 12:20AM
williamson2of6
What cute dogs!

We contain ours with a freestanding metal gate from http://www.northstatesind.com/
1 Like   February 27, 2013 at 1:14AM
rojonogo
williamson, I think this could work! Thank you!
0 Likes   February 27, 2013 at 7:20AM
mrstinylady
http://www.doggeekz.com/6panel-convertible-petgate.html http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=25018 http://www.petandbabygates.com/pet-gates-and-fences/tall-dog-gates/ http://www.thefind.com/pets/info-high-dog-gates http://www.petsquared.com/products/dog_gates/ps_dg5.asp http://www.dogbedsgalore.com/site/1251894/product/DG15

Yorkies are (darn cute!) pretty good climbers and can squeeze through most bars, so use your measuring tape!!! YOU WANT ABOUT 2" BETWEEN BARS and taller that you would ever guess.
Make sure to put toys, beds, bones, etc. in "their" new space.
1 Like   February 27, 2013 at 7:50AM
lefty47
HI - Rhonda - Those little pups are just the cutiest ! Lets look at this gate issue differently . Now that I have seen photos of your place , I think something else may work better. You know how they have the glass doors and walls in offices and commercial spaces. I think this may be the answer . They are doing wonderful things with tempered glass and it is also being used in homes now. Check with a glass shop and see what they can do for you . I think it would look great ,- modern and clean looking and you won't have to worry about the little guys getting through the bars . It won't look like it is there for dogs. It might work better with that small side wall removed . There is a glass that has a crackle finish and it looks very pretty.I think a solid see through gate will look better than one with lots of bars, and there will be lots because the dogs are so small. A cheaper idea of this may be some modern french doors .
0 Likes   February 27, 2013 at 9:37AM
rojonogo
Lefty, those are great ideas! I don't think it is something we could try anytime soon, but in the meantime I will do some research and make some plans. :-)
0 Likes   February 27, 2013 at 8:19PM