Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Brown and boring!
desparza2010
February 26, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I am attempting to add some color and I have some ideas, however would love to hear some other points of view...
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
desparza2010
Please share any design thoughts! New rug, drapery, decorative accents etc. thank you!!!
February 26, 2013 at 5:58pm   
Jayme H.
What are you keeping? Is the art new?
February 26, 2013 at 6:07pm   
Jayme H.
How about a room like this? You could use your furniture and get a look something like this.
February 26, 2013 at 6:13pm     
desparza2010
The furniture is all new. I didn't take into consideration how heavy it would feel, so the brown has to stay. I just want to lighten up some how and add some pop. Thanks for the clarifying question! (-;
February 26, 2013 at 6:18pm     
desparza2010
I'm having trouble finding the right pillows, rug, drapery and accessories. I would like opinions on what looks good and not so much.
February 26, 2013 at 6:21pm   
Jayme H.
I think the accent wall is distracting, I would paint the room all the same color-lighter. The rug is very pastel vs. the art..and I would try to tie it into the rug/art with a little touch of darker color in it.. The room lacks pattern like the pic I posted...I think the curtains in the pic help add pattern and interest to the room..but if you got a different rug/your drapes may still work...I would add in some table lamps and/or vary the lamps like in the pic.
February 26, 2013 at 6:28pm     
lizzyhouzz
Hi there, your space is beautiful and I don't think it is boring at all! I am not sure the art seems to go with the rest of the living room, I would probably find another place for that and go with a brown, blue, beige color scheme. Perhaps even paint the walls blue or a darker greige color. Keep the sofa and chairs, even the pillows, get more of a linen type of drape, bring in more pattern, and cover more of that large wall behind the sofa with gallery frames with photos. Oh, and if you can afford it, I would get a flat screen and mount it on the wall the TV is on currently or above the fireplace. If you moved it to above the fireplace you could do another little seating area where the TV is now with 2 patterned chairs, a side table between, and art above.

February 26, 2013 at 6:32pm     
lizzyhouzz
Another easy change would be to do a bolder pattern on the drapes, and get some pillows that coordinate with it.
February 26, 2013 at 6:36pm   
Laura Christoffersen
I like the artwork and furniture, I think the drapes and rug go and need to complement the artwork. I think the blue pillows are just not doing it...
February 26, 2013 at 6:36pm   
Shannon Dunlap
I think you should start with lighting - the single harsh glare from the fan light isn't doing your room any favours. Maybe add a floor lamp behind the couch, or a few smaller ones on the side tables. And then try taking a look in daylight, with the drapes wide open. :)
February 26, 2013 at 6:37pm     
Michelle Moore
Hi! Put the rug directly in front of the fireplace with the couch facing the fireplace. Which would mean that it would be in the middle of the floor on a diagonal, so to speak. (You would be creating a cozier seating arrangement and you have plenty of room.). Scoot the TV a foot or two to the right of where it is right now. (I'm not sure about the pictures on the wall behind the couch...agree they're a little too dark for your other colors...but right now I am seeing nothing is against that wall.). See where this takes you.
February 26, 2013 at 6:42pm   
collettec
I would start with an area rug that you like with color and pattern. Not sure if you're planning on keeping the art - I think it's a bit undersize for the space. I would not have an accent wall given the varying heights of the ceiling. I think with this room it would really help to have color on the wall given the varying heights of the ceiling and the neutral colors of your furnishings and floor. I would take one of the colors from the rug that you get, something that would work with the flooring, the cabinets and the couches and any art you choose. Just a few ideas of possible colors to consider if they worked with the rug and any art you're getting or have, would be the color in the picture that Jayme showed above, the blue green that you have in the pillows, something in a gold-brown range or a coral, and about as dark as seen in Jayme's picture given the height of the ceilings. Purchase your rug and any art first and then take from there the color for the wall, and the color for pillows, etc. For the drapes, you should go all the way to the ceiling with drapes with texture and perhaps some pattern, and color that works with the paint color. I think you could use taller items in the room - a table lamp on the table near the kitchen and on the other side of the couch, near the door a floor lamp to add height.
February 26, 2013 at 6:55pm     
desparza2010
Thank you all for you comments and suggestions. @ JaymeHobbs: I agree there is a disconnect between everything. I also agree with the pattern lacking. I have been looking at tons of fabrics and just can't seem to find the "right" one. @ lizzyhouzz: Great ideas, however my husband has a big say as well and he would never get rid of his BIG screen from the livingroom. Also, the measurments are too big for the wall with fireplace. Love the picture ideas... thanks! @ MichelleMoore: loving the ideas, we use our livingroom most for watching tv, so my hubby likes it directly in front of him. @ Shannon Dunlap: great suggestion with the lighting! @ LKristine: I like those choices! Thanks!
February 26, 2013 at 7:00pm   
desparza2010
My husband and I discussed having pops of yellow, red, green, and orange along with the blue and brown. I want it to look tasteful though. We purchase a 40X40 reclaimed Barnwood Door art piece and will be incorporating that somewhere.
February 26, 2013 at 7:11pm     
desparza2010
@emcz: Thanks for your ideas! I agree with having some height and great suggesstion on the drapery. What color would you paint the walls. Should the accent wall go back to the same color of the rest of the room or paint a new color altoghether?
February 26, 2013 at 7:17pm     
collettec
Well this is gorgeous wherever you use it and I could see it being a good base for the other colors you wanted to use. From there you could take a color for the rug, perhaps a solid of one of those colors, perhaps something with some texture. You could even take a wall color from here, perhaps something like the green. But this looks like a great base to take the other colors in the room from.
February 26, 2013 at 7:18pm     
desparza2010
We have discussed removing the artwork from behind the sofa and putting that in our hallway and then putting the above piece over the sofa, however based on everyone's feedback (which I agree with) there will still be an issue of extra wall space. I wonder if it would work to put this above the sofa with adding frames or something of that nature on either side of the art piece??
February 26, 2013 at 7:23pm   
desparza2010
What are thoughts about placing these on either sides of the sofa on the side tables?
February 26, 2013 at 7:27pm   
collettec
Didn't see your comment before I added my comment and was responding to your picture you showed in the previous comment. Wanted to add that I think it would be best not to have an accent wall, given all the different ceiling heights which you don't want to draw attention to - I would paint all the walls the same color. I would use your art as the inspiration and color base and match all the other colors to it, the rug, the paint color and then the drapes from there. I think that green in the painting would work as a wall color choice. Perhaps the blue in a solid as the rug color or even the red if you wanted to go bold - drawn from the art colors. With a color on the wall, the black and white gallery mentioned above would work well as an art choice. Good luck!
February 26, 2013 at 7:29pm     
collettec
Just wanted to add, with a color on the wall, the black and white photo or print gallery might work well above the sofa, and perhaps with black and white graphic drapes as a choice to work with it.... Or drapes similar to the paint color on the wall - you might check both. The art might work well above the fireplace if it fits. Good luck!
February 26, 2013 at 7:33pm     
desparza2010
@ emzc: Thanks for the great feedback!
February 26, 2013 at 7:36pm     
desparza2010
I was also entertaining the thought of painting my barstools a distressed red. And potentially, even my display ladder. Like I said earlier, I want my space to look tasteful though and not have it look "crazy" with all the colors. Thoughts?
February 26, 2013 at 7:47pm   
lastplace
I like your room and the furniture you have chosen. The room has some unique features and has real movement to it with the different heights. I think you need to move a couple of pieces of furniture to give it better balance.

I find the smaller chair in front of the window is being eaten up by the tall drapes. I would switch it for the larger chair and foot stool and place it square off the window. You will still be able to watch tv and it will balance out with the fireplace and curtains. Put the smaller chair where the larger chair was.

I would then push the couch down a little further from the fireplace, move the tv down aswell and place it centered with the couch.

Put the leaning book shelf between the fireplace and the tv to breakup the 2 big box items.

Its using everything you own and I think it will look great
February 26, 2013 at 7:51pm     
desparza2010
@ lastplace: I think that's a great solution to the lay out. I am going to try it out! Thanks!
February 26, 2013 at 8:36pm   
lastplace
Great. Post a photo for us
February 26, 2013 at 8:45pm     
pybo
If you are keeping the painting and rug, the blue pillows will have to go. Try pulling yellow, or orange off the painting to give you the pop of color you are looking for.
Looking forward to see the update photos.
February 26, 2013 at 11:25pm     
PRO
Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
If the painting and the rug is staying - then I'm out. Because they do NOT compliment one another - in fact, they are competing for attention.

If you want to keep the art - then add a textural area rug.

If you want to keep the rug - then add something textural to the wall.

Patterns, colours in area rugs and artwork must compliment one another and not compete.
I know its not what you want to hear, but I'd find a home for one or the other in another room so that your space can have the harmony and wow factor you are seeking...

I've attached a visual of an idea for gorgeous red/orange grass cloth wallpaper for the wall where your artwork currently is. This colour would come directly from the red in your area rug - then replace the artwork with something in a dark wood tone.

Talk about adding the perfect colour - Good Luck!
February 27, 2013 at 12:03am   
desparza2010
Thanks pybo and Marie. I think we are going to replace the current art behind the sofa with the Barn Door art (I had posted earlier) and perhaps replace the rug, the drapery, and some of the pillows. Just need to find the right ones. I also want to do something interesting along with the barn door art piece, but not quite sure what. Any ideas?
February 27, 2013 at 11:29am   
desparza2010
I'm also thinking about replacing the ceiling light fan for this chandelier. Thoughts??
February 27, 2013 at 11:47am   
charlotte4382
I would replace the rug and pictures above the couch. Bring in some color with accessories. Orange or red for a punch. The rug needs a more contemporary feel. Abstract maybe, looks to be floral in pic
February 27, 2013 at 12:07pm     
desparza2010
Thanks Charlotte4382! The rug is floral and yes I agree, I would like to change it. Any picture ideas?
February 27, 2013 at 12:19pm   
pybo
I see that you are drawn to rustic pieces. I really like the rug lKristine suggested, it has tint of turquoise, red, orange and brown from the barn door.

A few more samples to help find what you would gravitate towards.
Swirl Rug
Grey Rug With Yellow Branches
Celine Zebra Rug
February 27, 2013 at 9:52pm   
desparza2010
@pybo: hi! I like the rugs both she and you posted. I just know my husband won't like! What's your opinion on this one with my space?
February 27, 2013 at 10:19pm   
PRO
Cheery Curtains
Hope these curtain designs will give you some inspirations. Cheery Curtains offers a wide range of quality curtains at affordable prices. Mouse over the image for a better view.

For more curtain designs, welcome to my Houzz page or our website!

Please feel free to contact me if any questions.:)

Nophie
Cheery Curtains
Email: nophie@cheerycurtains.com
February 28, 2013 at 3:05am     
pybo
Hi desparza,
Personally I'm not too fond of striped rug, it is difficult to pull off as it gives you a runway feeling. In your space it draw your attention straight to your window and away from your focal points.
February 28, 2013 at 11:09am     
desparza2010
Thank you cheery curtains! I will be sure to check out your page! @ pybo: thanks for your input, you make a really great point and I see what you mean!
February 28, 2013 at 6:26pm   
PRO
Cheery Curtains
Hi desparza,

I'm glad that you like the photos, please feel free to contact me at nophie@cheerycurtains.com if any questions and I would be more than glad to help. :)

Nophie
Cheery Curtains
Email: nophie@cheerycurtains.com
February 28, 2013 at 7:05pm     
mainstreetschool
I would carry the accent. Wall color onto the wall with the TV to make it look more like one wall, and the TV would blend into dark wall. Like the barn door art (actually saw it on your other post). Go with these colors for accents. And yes, carry the rustic red onto other pieces. Make it your space. I like the brown rug with the pops of color suggested earlier. Add some other rustic items on the wall with the bar door art to fill the space.
February 28, 2013 at 7:56pm     
desparza2010
I have received feedback from many that the accent wall is distracting (my husband loves it, and I'm trying to find a happy compromise.) my home has rounded corners and is an open concept, so if I paint the living room, I'd have to paint the entire house (because of the way the walls run in together). So, should I keep an accent wall? I could extend the paint to the wall where the window and door are because that area has clear corners. I am most likely going to change out my drapery for sand linen, and I will be changing out my rug as well for something more bold. I was thinking I could change the paint to a light green. I will post photos shortly...
March 3, 2013 at 8:58am   
desparza2010
For the paint, I was thinking one of the lighter colors from the RH attachment?? Would appreciate feedback. ((-;
March 3, 2013 at 9:14am   
collettec
Hi desparza - of the three colors shown, I like the midrange one better, the one on the right. I think the darkest would be too dark. The one on top, the one a bit lighter might be too light given your high ceilings and dark furniture. Would definitely check the paint on posterboards to let it dry and check how dark it comes out and check it against various other items in your room such as your art, furniture and your cabinets. Don't think you want it pale, but not too vibrant or dark either. Good luck!
March 3, 2013 at 9:53am     
desparza2010
Thanks emzc! Do you think I should just keep it painted behind the fireplace or paint that whole back wall with the window and door as well?
March 3, 2013 at 9:56am   
collettec
I think I would consider painting the entire room one color, including all the walls, partly because the walls are different in height in different places, so to have them all the same color would help connect them more visually. I think the color that you have now is too light. I think there are a number of ways you could go with a paint color given what you have. For a color, I like the idea of a green, since it was in the painting and you said you wanted color. Another option might be the yellow in the painting or even a yellow gold if it worked with the art and cabinets and the floor tile. A third option to consider would be going with a neutral, but I would consider going with a gray to break up all the brown in the room. And add color in art, accessories, etc. And again check it against everything else in the room no matter what color you go with. There are grays that are considered warm grays and that would be something to consider. With any color you decide on, I think you need to go more in the middle in color shade, not too pale and not too dark. Good luck!
March 3, 2013 at 10:09am     
Maryl Hershelman
Turn off that overhead lighting for a start. Go BOLD on wall color. Open the curtains.
March 3, 2013 at 10:18am     
desparza2010
@ emzc: thanks for sharing your thoughts! I agree with you. I know it would look better if we could paint all of the walls, it's just that if we do that, I would have to paint my entire downstairs as well as the upstairs open area because of the fact that I have rounded walls and an open concept. Right now, I'm just trying to find more of a quick fix. It would take a ton of time and money to paint all of it. I know it would look so much better to paint all walls. That will be more of a long term goal of mine. So, it sounds like, since I can not paint all walls right now, it's better to paint the one wall back to the same color as the rest of the space and not do an accent wall at all? Thanks again for your input!
March 3, 2013 at 10:24am     
desparza2010
I wanted to thank all of you that shared you ideas and suggestions! I am reposting with the updated photos! It took a few months to gradually purchase and make the changes and we're loving our cozy room now! I would love to continue to hear any other thoughts you may have!! ((-; thanks again!!
August 17, 2013 at 6:31am   
desparza2010
Here are the updates...
August 17, 2013 at 6:32am     
bevballew
Your room looks much better, less cluttered. I liked the silver drapes, and don't like what you have above. I have drapes of the same silver color and my walls are a taupe color and the combo is stunning. You could just add a few silver or gray pillows to pull in that color and still have the new colors added. Your rug color would be a good color to work from for the wall color, but not as dark, which appears a taupe color, or brown, but I would work with the rug color as a base to paint the walls.
August 17, 2013 at 6:52am     
desparza2010
Thank you for your suggestions! My drapery is actually a cream color with multi colored embroideries in them! They actually don't have any grey or silver in them. I am not completely loving my pillows selection. I have others that I can play around with as well! ((-:
August 17, 2013 at 12:07pm   
annakart
Try reddish curtains
August 17, 2013 at 12:25pm     
desparza2010
@ annacart: I like that idea, we might purchase a 2nd set of drapery to put up for the colder seasons since these are so spring"ish" looking! Thank you! I am posting some close up pics of my rug and the drapery...
August 18, 2013 at 8:27am     
desparza2010
I was also thinking of adding these pillows, but they might be a bit juvenile?? I think I will also get 2 of these task floor lamps to place behind my side tables on either side of the sofa and last we're thinking about getting this media console too! Love hearing your thoughts!! ((-:
August 18, 2013 at 9:20am   
collettec
Looks a lot more open and I like that the new drapes are all the way to the ceiling. I think for pillows and other accents you could pull more of the cooler colors from your art and rug. I think it would be a good contrast for the darker and warmer colors in your furniture and other decor. I like your idea for the floor lamps and the media console. If you get the media console, you might want to pull more of the gray into the room with pillows, and other decor.
August 18, 2013 at 11:08am     
desparza2010
Hi Collettec! Thanks for your feedback! I'm not come rely satisfied with my pillow collection. I can't return any of them so I need to stop buying more! Lol! Below are some other pillows that I have. I have 2 of except for the eucalyptus color, I have 3 of! If you have any pics of other pillows that might tie in well with any of the one I already have and my color scheme would be much appreciated!
August 18, 2013 at 11:35am   
desparza2010
Darn auto correct... I meant to say not completely.
August 18, 2013 at 11:38am   
collettec
I like all of your choices above for pillows. Think that might work better than the warm colors for accent pillows, since you did want to move away from the brown. Not sure if there's room since can't see the whole space, but if possible, I would pull the chairs up a bit from where they are, particularly the chair near the entrance, moving it further from the entrance if possible. Perhaps a lamp or vase on the table near that chair in a cooler color. On the coffee table, perhaps a tray in a silver, pewter, gray, or another cooler color to break up the brown with the coffee table and rug.
August 18, 2013 at 12:35pm     
desparza2010
@ Collettec: I like those ideas! Thank you!! I will try to find a cool tray! I wish I could move the chairs, but the space is quite tight. Only enough room to walk by.
August 18, 2013 at 12:45pm     
desparza2010
Ok.. I changed put the pillows again! What do you think?
August 18, 2013 at 3:53pm     
desparza2010
Thanks for the post Shannon!! Lots of great options!! (-:
August 18, 2013 at 4:25pm   
desparza2010
I was thinking of putting a floor lamp by the aviator chair by the window. That table has become my cats bridge to get in the window, so I would want to be wise with what I actually put in the table.
August 19, 2013 at 10:50am