Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Kitchen needs updated and better function
micmommy
February 26, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Looking to update kitchen - staying traditional, but plan to replace wall covering/paint, hearth room furniture, counter tops and backsplash, switching appliances to stainless, and want island vs peninsula. Open to all other suggestions! (Disregard blue paint tape.)
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
micmommy
Can I keep the cabinets?
February 27, 2013 at 8:35am   
Jayme H.
Your cabinets look in nice shape...Many times i have heard of the door style you have referred to as "dated"...I think that depends on the more than one thing...Yours have a nice color and look like they could withstand more use. Do you want to keep the cabinets?
February 27, 2013 at 8:42am   
PRO
Digital Imaging by Tina - Interior Designer
Nice kitchen, but way too much brown. I’d have the cabinets professionally spray painted white and painting the walls a Sherwin Williams Sunbeam Yellow SW0078 paint color. This will make such a transformation with your stainless steel appliances. Then I’d incorporate a light fixture over the new Island. See photo for example of interior idea! Houzz – “Digital Imaging by Tina” www.brentsinteriorpainting.com click on the camera…
February 27, 2013 at 8:53am     
collettec
If you're going for all new furniture and a whole new look, I would do some research for how you want the entire space to look - what style, what possible colors, etc. Houzz is great for that re: the browse rooms section to see various combinations and styles that you like. The cabinets and counters and backsplash will be working with the furnishings as well, so I would work to make decisions as to style and look of the room and materials first before deciding on specifics. As noted by Digital Imaging, you could certainly paint the cabinets if they are in good shape or leave unpainted if you like that and if it works with what you want overall.
February 27, 2013 at 9:05am   
micmommy
I think I'd like to try and keep the cabinets, for two reasons - 1. I like the color and 2. budget. Also, i am set on changing the peninsula to an island, so realize it will have to be changed, maybe black?
February 27, 2013 at 12:51pm     
Jayme H.
depending on your color scheme.. I would go for a contrasting color on the island...
February 27, 2013 at 1:20pm     
micmommy
I'm thinking about keeping dark cabinets and go with a light counter, maybe Botticcino Classico granite?
March 1, 2013 at 10:44am   
collettec
Looks like it would go beautifully with your cabinets. Not sure if you saw this - here are some Houzz examples of that type of granite - a few of them with darker cabinets or material as possible references:

March 1, 2013 at 11:54am   
collettec
Here's the example in the room with the dark cabinets:

March 1, 2013 at 11:58am     
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
Your cabinets are just fine. I would do each step..one at a time. First the new appliances. Add the island. Then countertops. Then backsplash. Then kitchen & hearth room furniture & rug. Then window treatments...LAST select a paint color. Wait until each step is completed to choose what you really want for your choice in the next step. Most people cannot really visulize and select everything in advance..and hate it when it is all done.

But regarding the countertop...Botticcino Classico seems to be a marble rather than a granite..and personally I would never put marble on my countertop as it is porous and will stain..I know many people do it, but it's not for me. Granite is much more dense. Also look for granite with a little pattern..solid color cabinets..solid color granite..looks boring. Look at "Crema Bordeaux" and "Ivory Silk".

The island could be black..you have a lot of light in that area. Furniture should be all lighter color. With pops of black here and there.
March 1, 2013 at 12:19pm     
collettec
Barbara, Thank you for catching the fact that this is not granite, but marble - something not noted in the Houzz pics I supplied and certainly something important to know in regard to choices and consideration. As well, the rest of your advice is great as usual!
March 1, 2013 at 12:30pm     
PRO
Fine Art Tileworks — Handmade Relief Tile
Hello,

You said you want to replace your backsplash, stay with traditional design, and update a bit:
Grapes & Leaves mural, 6x18
Petite French Quilt 6x6 handmade tiles
We hand press many different traditional designs in ceramic tile, in various whites and neutrals to help keep your kitchen warm and light.

I personally like your existing cabinets but there are so many of them that it does add up to a lot of brown! Replacing the peninsula with an island will help reduce the amount of brown presenting to the room...

LED under-cabinet lighting would really lighten the mood in the kitchen, especially in winter...but make sure to test one before buying a bunch, to make sure they are warm in color, not bluish. LED's are relatively guilt free to leave on all day during gray weather since they sip so little electricity. (We live in Oregon...)

Above the writing desk, how about placing a light colored fabric note board to lighten that recess? and maybe continue the LED lighting in there as well.

Steve
March 1, 2013 at 1:00pm   
micmommy
Thanks for the clarification on Botticino being a marble. I agree on granite being a better choice for the kitchen durability. And I really like the Ivory Silk suggestion.
March 1, 2013 at 1:56pm   
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
I have actually used that for a client that had similar cabinets.
March 1, 2013 at 4:57pm