Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Wallpaper for cabinets
lbitter
February 26, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I have a drab family room that I'd like to freshen up by applying a wall covering to the back wall of our built-in oak cabinets. The family room is open to our dining room and kitchen and we have a lot of oak going on. It would be nice to bring in a fresh wall covering behind the shelves to lighten up the cabinets. We'd love to find something fresh and contemporary, maybe geometric or botanical. But not too bold or modern. We'd like to take color cues from our avocado dining chairs or chamois colored couch and loveseat. We'll be repainting and doing new window treatments, so don't have to coordinate with existing. But the picture will stay. I know that wallpaper has moved beyond the grandma styles of the past, but I don't know where to look. Ideas? Thanks!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
collettec
Perhaps something like a trellis pattern in the chamois or the avocado - geometric but a bit traditional as well.
0 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 7:12PM
Lkristine
A cross between green and gold, something that combines the coloring in your dining chairs and current wood color...... http://www.brewsterwallcovering.com/dl30444-light-green-modern-damask.aspx
1 Like   February 26, 2013 at 7:23PM
Valvorie Dunn
If you are in an area that has a wallpaper store ask for the higher end designer books. Ronald Redding has beautiful papers along with Schumacher, Thibaut, Raymond Waites & many more. I would suggest you paper poster board (or something similar) cut to size & placed in the back of the shelves. Paper is very difficult to remove if you decide to change it out.
1 Like   February 26, 2013 at 7:47PM
lbitter
Thanks. That's exactly what we were thinking (papering a backboard of some sort).
1 Like   February 26, 2013 at 7:49PM
Cindy Quinton
Sherwin Williams has a ton of wallpaper. You can look a hundreds of styles and then I believe it ships to your home if you wish.
0 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 8:11PM
shortped
I notice hints of purple in the pic and your flowers....would be nice on that focal wall above fireplace and could pick a shade to go with avocado...I would change brass insert perhaps to update a little too
0 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 8:16PM
Valvorie Dunn
Lol - my brain wasn't working...alI I could come up with was poster board! Would love to see it after you get it finished.
0 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 8:26PM
Valvorie Dunn
I really like the 2nd fabric.
0 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 8:50PM
shortped
Libradesigneye....on beautifulfabric.com ------ what about Ambrose spring and the other coordinating fabric in pillows if painted the brick?
0 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 8:55PM
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
I'm not keen on putting a pattern on the back wall of units like this. I just recently, for a client, painted panels that we placed on the back wall of similar cabinets a not bright red..a shade of a red that was already in the room in a small way...something like the color of the pillow on the sofa in the second picture would be good. Punch without overload. Then I added a patterned large plate on a stand and another large patterned bowl along with books & photos & plants, etc.
1 Like   February 26, 2013 at 9:05PM
lbitter
Oh, these are some fun ideas! Fabrics sure open up a lot of possibilities. I do need to make sure that it is not too thick, though, because I don't want to have to plane the shelving if I don't need to. Oh, and Shortped, we're on the same wavelength - I plan to change out the fireplace cover. I just love these fun projects. They can make a lot of impact!
0 Likes   February 26, 2013 at 9:07PM
lbitter
Valvorie, I am LOVING the Thibaut lines and found retailers near me. Exactly what my brain was picturing ( I just can't always find what is in my head once I picture something!) Thanks for the suggestions!
1 Like   February 26, 2013 at 9:33PM