Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help decorating foyer
buckeyemamato2
February 26, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Just moved into a new home and I have not decorated our foyer. The double front iron doors lead into a foyer that is 7ft wide by 12 ft before it opens into our formal dining and living area. I have purchased this console table but I am not sure how to accessorize. Also, need advice on art for that wall. The ceilings are 12 ft. There are french doors leading into a formal living room opposite of this console...and there is also an antique round oak mirror with hat hooks. Attached you will see entry, the console and wall that needs help....I've also attached some accessories that I currently have placed on the console.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
destingirl
Two ideas, group 3 over 3 frames with similar artwork in white frames with wall sconces on either side; or a large round mirror in a silver-leaf tone would really pull your foyer together! Also, ballarddesigns.com has awesome plaster relief plaques that match virtually any decor style. Your table is beautiful! Good luck!
February 26, 2013 at 8:40pm   
Kelly
Your front door, hardwoods and molding are amazing. The console is also lovely, I am just thinking you could go with a much larger peice given the size and scale of the foyer? The console would look great behind a sofa with tall lamps on either side with beautifully framed family photo's in varied heights and maybe a decorative box or simple statue...Side note... I really do like the color of the wall. It is very clean and elegant against the white trim and the dark floors make it pop.
February 26, 2013 at 9:41pm   
PRO
Winward Designs
A mirror with a thick silver painted frame, something ornate would look great above the beautiful console. It'll bring in a bit of contemporary to the gorgeous traditional front doors and French doors. We love to see personal items on the console like a family picture or a trinket box for keys. As for your existing console items, placing them in a less symmetrical way would look great. Choose either the tree or the candle sticks, and place it off to the side. And of course flowers, roses would be our choice seeing the beautiful red brick around your front door. If you are going fresh, pick a glass vase that is modern. If faux, for everyday beauty, we picked something from our rosé collection. Hope this helped. Www.winwarddesigns.com.
February 26, 2013 at 11:20pm     
PRO
Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
I don't like these three things together - the tree is too wispy you need something substantial to give the foyer table weight. You also need to hang something on the wall over this lovely table.

I'd place the tree sculpture somewhere else - find that perfect mirror or sparkly bit - bigger is always better, less is more mentality - and I love the roses idea...

These photos are first one of a design scheme I'm working on using roses, 2nd and 3rd photos are from Global Views.com - my favorite accessory store. Giving you ideas on how to stage your foyer - maybe you need some wallpaper to dress this area and give the walls some substance and interest!

Good luck buckeyemamato2
February 26, 2013 at 11:34pm   
Kevin Retired Decorator
I agree the accessories are just way to small for the entry area. I would go with a 3'-4' wide x 5'-6' tall mirror with a a ornate frame in gold it's back or silver. Then I would get a pair of over scaled buffet lamps in a modern look to frame the mirror. I would add a couple of stack able decorative boxes below with a few books & a small fern. Then I would get a very large orchid in silk to put in front of the mirror or a very large floral arrangement that would be about 2' tall. I like a formal symmetry in a entrance foyer.
February 27, 2013 at 12:16am     
PRO
ASVInteriors
You need drama to validate the huge ceiling you have.
May I suggest adding a huge floor mirror that goes behind the console and straight up - you need to create drama. Don't worry if it doesn't fit to the edge - but it must be as wide as the central part - it is the height that will validate it. Then add an orchid to one side and a pile of interesting hardcover art books below.
Get a silver tray for throwing keys and stuff
Here are some ideas to help http://marcusdesigninc.blogspot.ch/2011/08/mirrors-behind-console-tables.html

I can't see your ceiling - but perhaps a dramatic chandelier (reflected in your mirror) could work.
All the best in this lovely project
February 27, 2013 at 1:25am     
Diamondflame
For a slim console you may need to balance the accessories on top with a few pieces in the bottom otherwise it looks top heavy. The 12 ft ceiling is a challenge. What is your preferred style? I may like the gilded framed mirror option but it may look too ornate for the rest of the room. Maybe a few pics may help you decide...
February 27, 2013 at 1:50am     
buckeyemamato2
My thanks to those of you offering suggestions - I am very excited about pulling together the perfect look for this entry. I have attached a photo that should have been attached with my initial images....this photo shows the entry way from the staircase landing looking toward the front door. I love the idea of finding a large mirror to place above or behind the console...my only concern is if I do this should I remove the antique round mirror/hat rack that I currently have hanging opposite the console. Also, I currently have a 3 ft round area rug - not sure if I should keep that or replace with a different shape or size. My decorating style is somewhat of eclectic however, mostly traditional and farmhouse style.
February 27, 2013 at 2:29pm     
evzee
I love your wood floors! Beautify entry way!
February 27, 2013 at 2:32pm   
Kelly
Nice...I would go with a larger rectangle rug for sure.....and find a killer iron chandiler to play off the amazing front door....like the large mirror idea...but if your sold on keeping the other mirror in place- a seriies of 4 nice large pictures..maybe something architectural would be great. 2 on top of 2.
February 27, 2013 at 7:03pm