Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Fireplace/TV
nealirn
February 26, 2013 in Design Dilemma
This TV/fireplace we created when we built didn't come out as I expected. So, until I can actually redo the space I am wondering if the trim that outlines the space looks better painted the same as the wall color. I don't want it to stand out b/c it looks odd and to me the white trim makes it pop to much???
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sierra251
Raise your curtain rods to the same height as the top of the tv/fireplace molding. Painting the trim the same color as the wall makes the shelves you left white under the tv look unfinished.
February 26, 2013 at 8:52PM     
Robin W
What about putting glass doors over the AV shelves?
February 26, 2013 at 10:20PM   
zindor
If you paint the trim to match the walls, also paint the interior shelves the same color. I agree that the curtains need to be raised to match the height of the built-in unit. What are your plans for rebuilding the unit in the future? What are the specific things that bother you about it? To me, it looks like you could use a closed cabinet above the TV, since there is too much open space. Best wishes.
February 26, 2013 at 10:44PM     
PRO
Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
Agreed - raise your curtain rods to the same height as the TV alcove. I'm sorry but I do not like you painting out the trim to same as wall colour - I believe you should have made the trim much wider and more substantial. It wasn't that it was white, it was that it was too skimpy to feel proportionately correct. I'd repaint it back to white - enlarge the trim.
February 26, 2013 at 11:12PM     
nealirn
Thank you guys so much. So any ideas on how to totally redo it? I'm ready to just pull all that trim off i agree its def. to tall and skimpy. I was worried if I raise the rods it will take away from transients above windows but I I take big trim off it will look more proportioned w/ leaving rods where they are????
February 27, 2013 at 5:39AM   
nealirn
I'm thinking take trim down especially at the top and make it wall
February 27, 2013 at 5:41AM   
nealirn
If I raise curtain rods over transients will it take away from the transients?
February 27, 2013 at 9:12AM   
Erin
I think curtains will help you a lot. They won't take away from the transients if you bring them all the way up and much wider. Take away some of that dead space between the windows and built-in. I think it will look weird to paint the trim a different color but I do think you should paint the inside of the boxes a dark color.
February 27, 2013 at 10:01AM     
sierra251
Hi, you need to raise and widen your curtains. Even if the fireplace / tv was gone.

When I fist saw your picture I tried to figure out WHY the whole setup seems weird. You are missing a mantle. Some contemporary fire places work nicely with no mantle, but Your house is traditional with all the crown moulding, and it looks like the builder just hasn't finished your Fireplace. For an easy fix, I suggest buying a white mantle from a box store like home depot. Mount it so the top is level with the shelf the tv sits on. Get a thin piece of wood, cut it to fit to cover up the cubby holes holding your receiver and DVD player. Obviously it will need to be painted white. You may even be able to make to panel removable so you can keep your components in the cubbies, and have their remotes operate on RF, which does not need line of sight.
February 27, 2013 at 1:33PM     
nealirn
Ok I'm going to raise the rods. Now do the white sheers look good? I like clean straight lines and light
February 27, 2013 at 8:01PM   
sierra251
Hi, its difficult to tell from the pics, but your sheers will probably look fine as long as they are long enough still. Once raised, they should still graze the floor.
February 27, 2013 at 8:08PM     
nealirn
Do I have to have drapes or curtains in living area? I love the way some homes look and feel w/o them
February 28, 2013 at 8:13AM   
nevadan
You need to build out your TV niche flush with studs and drywall, then install flat TV flush with the wall. Those niche arrangements are not for a flat TV. Curtain problem is secondary.
February 28, 2013 at 8:27AM     
nealirn
Challenging space to decorate. I like very clean lines and no clutter or things exposed. I like different! Any neat ideas??
March 5, 2013 at 9:08AM