Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need ideas for replacement chandelier over kitchen table
rpl814
February 26, 2013 in Design Dilemma
The silver fixture we put up gives off about as much light as a night light. I love how it looks, but it has to go. Attached are pictures of the kitchen. The 8 glass bloc chandelier matches the other kitchen lighting (similar to the pendants and the same as over the sink). Is that too matchy matchy? It was my first choice, but was back ordered. Now I'm not sure. I also have a crystal chandelier in my entrance, powder room and dining room. Would a cool crystal chandelier be crystal overkill??
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rpl814
Here are the crystal chandeliers I already have....
February 26, 2013 at 8:24PM     
rpl814
Is any body out there? :-)
February 27, 2013 at 6:47AM   
carole
yes,but it only me!!! and i have no idea about lighting,so ANYBODY lights?????
February 27, 2013 at 6:51AM     
PRO
CMR Interiors & Design Consultations Inc.
Try lightology.com
Call Jackie there. She may be able to help you.
February 27, 2013 at 6:52AM   
PRO
CMR Interiors & Design Consultations Inc.
Here is the link to their linear page: http://lightology.com/index.php?module=cat&cat_id=109
February 27, 2013 at 6:55AM   
0825sam
How about a Sputnik light

February 27, 2013 at 6:57AM     
rpl814
Thanks for helping! There are some on that site I haven't seen before (and I feel like I've seen them all!)
February 27, 2013 at 6:59AM   
rpl814
Sam, I was thinking about that last night. Same chairs too! I like that one.
February 27, 2013 at 7:00AM   
PRO
PYRAMID DESIGN GROUP
CRYSTAL WOULD BE "OVERKILL" AS YOU STATED. LOOK AT HORCHOW DAUPHINE PENDANT OR OTHER DRUM FIXTURES
February 27, 2013 at 7:00AM   
0825sam
Great! Love those
February 27, 2013 at 7:04AM   
PRO
Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
Do you want a chandelier or a pendant fixture?
I'd do either the Artichoke Pendant or the Graffitti by Corbett
February 27, 2013 at 7:09AM   
tomda
I just wanted to say I love your kitchen :)
February 27, 2013 at 7:27AM   
rpl814
Thank you Tomda!!! I'm so happy with how it came out. I appreciate your comment :-)
February 27, 2013 at 7:40AM   
PRO
Otrada LLC
I love the idea of adding another material like wood to connect with your front door and floors. Too much grey and metal may get a bit cold after awhile although I really do like your kitchen. It came out great -congrats! Plus, you have already done metallic, crystal, etc. I also like the sculptural quality of the artichoke pendant above. Let me see if I can find something online....
February 27, 2013 at 7:53AM   
PRO
Otrada LLC
Wood pendant options
February 27, 2013 at 8:01AM   
PRO
A Crew of Two
I would just caution that your table is smaller in scale, you do not want to overwhelm it with a large chandelier- but I like the shape of the drum light, just a different one. The wood one above is gorgeous!
February 27, 2013 at 8:18AM   
rpl814
it's 72x42, the sergei one is 39.5"....thanks for pointing that out. The wood ones are nice, I just have this thing about wood- I don't know why, but I just don't like it. Probably from seeing Blair Witch Project while at a sleepaway camp in the woods...that could do it. :) I actually wanted to stain my door black, but giving myself time to make sure that's what I really want to do.
February 27, 2013 at 8:38AM   
PRO
A Crew of Two
lol...we all have our dislikes so totally get that. I am that way with oak wood. The fun part about design, so many ideas and so many choices.
February 27, 2013 at 8:57AM   
rpl814
So no one thinks I should go with my original choice? Stick with the same glass cubes as the pendants and above the sink? 2 choices.
February 27, 2013 at 5:36PM     
shortped
No! Like the Sputnik but what r u putting on walls there because I think u need to break up too much dark, metal, and crystal
February 27, 2013 at 5:49PM   
Laura Stermer
I read this and thought of focusing towards the darker idea of black wrought iron to bring out the dark hardware, and other black accents, and your future door. Here are a few things to ponder

first a white barrel with crystals and dark iron: http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Indoor-5-light-Antique-Bronze-White-Shade-Flush-Mount-Chandelier/5152198/product.html

second a dark with crystals pendant, that would be easier to switch out http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Cartier-1-light-Min-Pendant-in-Weathered-Bronze/6813909/product.html
February 27, 2013 at 5:52PM     
rpl814
I just bought a 42" by 6'6" mirror I'm going to lean against the back wall. Not sure yet what I'll put along the left side yet.
February 27, 2013 at 6:02PM   
rpl814
I like the Sputnik too, but some look cool (like the one above but too big) and some look so stumpy.
February 27, 2013 at 8:45PM   
calikym
I love the matchy matchy lights you posted. They are awesome and will look fantastic, in my non-decorator opinion.
February 27, 2013 at 8:52PM   
calikym
I like the rectangular shaped chandelier. Love if actually. I might even steal your idea.
February 27, 2013 at 8:53PM     
lefty47
HI -- I love your space and furniture .I think the dining chandelier should make it's own statement . Have a look at Restoration Hardware , they have great fixtures . And i think you can never go wrong with a classic Nelson light fixture. Which would be fitting because I see you have mid century style front doors !
February 27, 2013 at 9:04PM   
calikym
She's talking about the dining room table fixture, not changing the pendants. She may want to simply match the existing pendants... Look about 5 comments above mine for the matching chandelier.
February 27, 2013 at 9:15PM   
rpl814
Thanks for clarifying. It's for over the kitchen table- the white parsons table in the second picture. It's basically behind the stools, I think another picture shows it. I need one fixture.
February 27, 2013 at 9:21PM   
PRO
Susan Mills Design
Hi there, your chairs are quite leggy, so would not want to see you add the light you show, it would look very busy. A dark shade would not show up very well because of the wall colour. I like this chandelier for the satin white glass, sheer shade and its dark banding. I also like the way it references the chairs with the Satin Nickel. Here's the link, it's on sale too!
http://www.amazon.com/Maxim-Lighting-23033SWSN-4-Light-Pendant/dp/B00412TW8E
February 27, 2013 at 9:33PM   
PRO
Design Find
Sorry 'bout that. Hmm, well I think the Sputnik idea that others suggested is a good one, or adding something old and classic might be a cool surprise in the modern space, too. Or a cool bubble light fixture, maybe?
February 27, 2013 at 9:40PM   
PRO
Susan Mills Design
Bubbles are fun!
February 27, 2013 at 9:50PM   
PRO
Urbana ~ Designer Ellen Crystal
I like your original choice. probably would suggest the square/rectangular one. it is a good scale, suits your table shape & won't compete with your drop pendants at island. put it on a dimmer, so can turn up or down.
your overall vibe is well done & you've made good choices in your finishes. Very smart look!
February 27, 2013 at 10:12PM     
julie77777
rpl814 - Can you possibly give me info on the 3 pendants above island? Love them and I'm pendant shopping ....... thanks!
February 28, 2013 at 9:12AM   
0825sam
Here's the Restoration Hardware sputnik ligtht - unfortunately pricier than the other one. It comes in polished nickel. It's a bit narrower than the other one and has the spread out look which I personally prefer over a rectangular table over the rounder ones. http://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod2111786&categoryId=search
February 28, 2013 at 9:19AM   
rpl814
Here is a link for the pendants. http://www.eurostylelighting.com/euu5886.htm
We have them on a dimmer and also have recessed lights. They are only 40w each but they do give off decent light. We love them.
February 28, 2013 at 7:07PM     
Amy Stanley
I think that your original choice will fit in perfectly fine. You will love it, it ties in with the rest of your lighting and I don't find cohesiveness over kill ;) Your kitchen is beautiful!
February 28, 2013 at 7:15PM     
sierra251
What about this?
February 28, 2013 at 7:20PM