Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Sofa placement and rug
finndian
February 27, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Here are two options I have for sofa placement in the room. The 3rd pic is of the sofa facing the TV again but moved forward about 18 inches and a desk standing in for a (mirrored?) console along the back. I'd put two ottomans under it most likely.

Please give me your opinion on everything honestly. The grey sofa, grey chair and low cocktail table are mine but everything else is returnable (violet chairs, pillows) or photoshopped and not really in the room. Would you keep the chairs?

The glass chandelier is going away because it not only is too ornate for me but it keeps the area looking like a dining table should be there. Yes, it was the dining area but I've moved that area to what use to be the den which is just out of view to the left of the kitchen behind the staircase.

I figured it would be a waste for a big table to be in the area when I'd much prefer to sit with the double doors open and read or drink coffee in a comfortable chair. I could put a simple drum shade or sleek ceiling fan overhead.

Also, some say to get the rug for your foundation but if you're unsure of exact furniture placement then the rug size might change. Any suggestions for rug size and color? Should all the legs of the sofa and the grey chair be on it?

I've abandon the idea of putting the two little round tables together and would look for a C-shaped modern table to snug under the sofa so it hovers partially over the seat. The space from the sofa to the stair edge is only 33 inches
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
Very nice - bring the purple chair colour into your sofa area, add a purple candle to your coffee talbe. Well done! Instead of the chandelier - go with something funky like the artichoke pendant.
0 Likes   February 27, 2013 at 12:13AM
yonube
I like the rug on picture number 2. The graphic nature of it lightens up the place and makes it modern. I like the furniture set up in that picture also. I would add pillows with the color of the rug and remove the sitting area on the window sill. Yeah the chandelier is an eye sore. If you keep the purple chairs bring some art or pillows or something to integrate the colors.
0 Likes   February 27, 2013 at 12:29AM
finndian
Thanks for the comments. Yes, I need violet in the main living area. My eye keeps being drawn to the artichoke light funny you should mention it. I could also put a modern ceiling fan over the seating area and instead put two funky pendants over the half wall bar in front of the kitchen.

Both sofa placements have drawbacks. One creates an 8 foot long entry corridor and blocks light and the other cuts the room in half a different way.

The window seat is 24 inches deep platform and really can't serve any other purpose with its seat level height.

Below are the console along the back of the sofa that I'd use with the one furniture arrangement and another rug possibility.
0 Likes   February 27, 2013 at 12:47AM
finndian
New location of dining room. Selling off the old antique style furniture.
0 Likes   February 27, 2013 at 9:31AM