Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Windowseat
janekwitter
February 27, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We are trying to maximise the use of our sitting room. We've just moved in and are thinking of installing a window seat as the sun creates a nice sun trap here. Any suggestions welcomed :)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
ASVInteriors
Love the idea of a window seat. But.... can you afford to lose the space into your sitting room. I see where you sofa is placed, and unless you are willing to allow more space and move the sofa inwards (towards us) I worry that this might cause you more problems...

You could build a cabinet that incorporates shelving on either side of the window, and then cabinet along the bottom (with seating cushions on top) - see idea below:

4 Likes   February 27, 2013 at 1:56AM
janekwitter
Yes that couch is to be removed and there's another large one seater towards us on the corner (unseen) I like the idea of the cabinet you've suggested... The photo makes this space look pretty tight but it's part of an open planned kitchen dining and sitting room o hopefully something will work out. Exciting early days of decorating! Thanks again for suggestion! :)
0 Likes   February 27, 2013 at 2:00AM
DIAspoton
find 3 fabulous fabrics that work together. have a valance made that will be mounted at the ceiling. it will be just tall enough to cover the top of the transom and 6" deeper than the window seat. use fabric A on that. fabric B will be the drapery panels hanging on each side. so if your window seat is 18' your panels will come out 24" from the wall.
fabric C will skirt the window seat. hiding additinal seating stools or ottomans. or just use the area with bakets for books and toys.
have a reading light installed hidden by the valance.
this look all depends on fabric and style. it could be lavish with luxe silks and deep fringes. or sleek and modern or very traditional or...

an additional way to gain versatile seating and storage would be 4 ottoman storage cubes on castors. they're a coffee table when together and 4 seats when pulled apart. again, these can be in any style.

congratulations on your new home.
1 Like   February 27, 2013 at 2:52AM
carolins
Hi,
congratulations on your new home. Beautiful window. It would be helpful if you posted more photos of the room from different angles and if possible a floorplan and if you already have new furniture...
Just browsed through your ideabooks. A nice collection of lovely ideas. So you're thinking clean lines, contemporary but with a traditional touch, neutral colour palette?
0 Likes   February 27, 2013 at 3:06AM