Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Tiles for Shower - help!
Iris
February 27, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We need to replace the shower pan in my shower, which will destroy the tile in the shower. I can't afford to change the tiles in the rest of the bathroom, so I need to find tiles for the shower only that will coordinate with the tiles that are there already. Any ideas? I want to keep the job as simple and inexpensive as possible.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Main Line Kitchen Design
I would replace the shower pan and tile only 3 feet up in the shower. You can use any old tiles that you removed undamaged to replace any tiles that get damaged outside the shower. Extra undamaged tile can also be used as accent tile for the 3 foot area below so that the different tile looks like an original design feature. If enough tile comes out undamaged you could do all kinds of different boarders, accents etc. Pick new tile that goes with the old tile but is NOT too similar. You want this to look like a design feature and not a patch job. This will save work, money, and make your bathroom look coordinated. Paint the room a color that goes well with the new tile to really bring everything together.
1 Like   February 27, 2013 at 7:20AM
PRO
PYRAMID DESIGN GROUP
SINCE YOU PROBABLY CANT MATCH THE TILES , AND SINCE TH;E TILES IN THE REST OF THE BATHROOM ARE NEUTRAL--WHY NOT CHOOSE A SOLID COLOR YOU LOVE AND RETILE THE SHOWER FLOOR AND WALLS.
0 Likes   February 27, 2013 at 7:31AM
PRO
Main Line Kitchen Design
Here's an example of this idea. Although I would like it better with some darker tile below and not above, and accents from above included in below. With your extra tile you save you can easily do this.

0 Likes   February 27, 2013 at 9:51AM
PRO
Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
Hi irisassouline, Marie here.

If you can't afford to do it right - THEN DON'T DO IT.
You have to properly rip out all the tile and re-do the schluter or water proofing membrane.

IF you can not afford to do it properly - you still need to rip it out, then replace it with an acrylic unit.
DO NOT just replace the floor - you've obviously got issues that could go as far as compromising your sub-floor and joists - don't fool around, do it right the first time.

Don't let anyone talk you into doing a band-aid job, your homes health depends upon it and so does your families. I'm sure you've seen renovation shows where they've found mould and compromised sub-floors and joist rot because a water problem wasn't deal with - is money really worth sacrificing the structure of your home? Is your families health worth it? Get real, get serious and do it right.
0 Likes   February 27, 2013 at 9:59AM