Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Bedroom bed placement - need help.
tt67
February 27, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I can't figure out the best way to position the double bed in my extra bedroom. The room has many windows, entry door (which opens in and needs to stay that way) and a closet door. The bed will need to be partially in front of at least one window. I'd like to add a headboard but am stuck there too.
First pic is standing at entry door. Second shows closet door. Third is right side of room as you are walking in. Last is the entry door when standing in front of the closet.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Digital Imaging by Tina - Interior Designer
Why don't you position the bed underneath the windows, where the armoire is located? Drape the windows with long flowing curtains from top to bottom, making the room appear higher in length. Place the armoire where the lamp is in the corner. I'd also paint the walls a more of a neutral color, by doing this, it will give the room a more spacious feel. The darker colors normally make the room appear smaller...it's hard to see the room’s position from the pictures you provided. Is that another dresser on the opposite side of the armoire?
February 27, 2013 at 7:46am   
lrhensman
Consider putting the bed in the centre of the windows (not sure which wall because I don't have the room dimensions) and getting new room darkening cellular shades that go up and down. You can then have the blinds half way up during the day and all the way up at night. This will give the impression of a headboard. I would also remove the valances. I love the quilt!
February 27, 2013 at 7:47am     
judianna20
Have you tried cornering the bed? That would give you some space for a headboard.

February 27, 2013 at 7:50am     
tt67
All great suggestions. The furniture across from armoire is a family heirloom glass front bookshelf. It could get moved to attic, since I just finished that space. I will try moving the bed to armoire spot and vice versa and switch out curtains. if the bed fits...what sort of headboard would look good? Does the light need to come thru...iron? solid? tufted? The room will stay blue....some shade. It's silly but the rooms were already named 20plus yrs ago when I moved in. This was the 'blue room'. It's been a few shades of blue but always blue. And, mom, made the quilt. I have approximately a dozen hand made from her! Thanks everyone.
February 27, 2013 at 8:29am   
Amy Stanley
I love blue so personally if you like it I say leave it. I would put long white or cream(can't quite tell you quilt color) curtain panels hung above windows on a decorative rods. The chest if there is room would be nice at the foot of your bed and I agree try the bed under the other windows. Perhaps you could find a vintage looking metal headboard so it doesn't block the windows but stays with the style of your home?
February 27, 2013 at 8:39am     
PRO
Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
Wow - gorgeous room - I'd put the bed where the dresser is now - and then play with where the dresser could go. Hard to tell without a space plan - I'd figure out the plan on paper then move everything around to the plan that wins.

Icovia.com or your local furniture store should have a direct link to room planners.

Good luck
February 27, 2013 at 8:50am     
mcbriec
If it fits, I think angling the bed in the corner where the lamp is would be great as Judyg suggested. That way you can maintain all the light that comes with windows. I also love blue but a nice lighter grey blue would still give you your blue, but would make the room look airier and fresher.

Otherwise, as previously suggested, I would center it under the double windows. On this site, I've seen rooms with beautiful drapes covering the entire wall (sort of like a fabric version of wallpaper), which would effectively remove the windows as a feature on that side of the room. Normally that's an undesirable solution unless the room already has abundant light from other windows. I agree that an iron headboard would look the best against any window coverings and would fit in with your style.
February 27, 2013 at 8:59am     
tt67
I'm tired! Here are two options....bed in corner and bed centered under windows. I haven't had time to do anything else. Room feels more spacious centered under window. Opinions?
February 27, 2013 at 11:14am   
lrhensman
Under the windows would be my preference.
February 27, 2013 at 11:17am     
gmacrandall
Bed under windows looks great! Window treatments look great with quilt.
February 27, 2013 at 11:18am   
debb1964
I vote for the way that feels more spacious - centered under the windows.
February 27, 2013 at 11:30am     
lriney
The bed looks GREAT under the windows!
February 27, 2013 at 11:34am   
Amy Stanley
Yes the bed under window is perfect!
February 27, 2013 at 11:50am   
PRO
A Crew of Two
I like the second pic...It showcases the gorgeous armoire
February 27, 2013 at 11:51am   
trc59
Yes. Under the windows.
February 27, 2013 at 11:53am   
PRO
Blinds Direct Canada
I would recommend replacing the window treatments with a Roman shade. I think it will look great in the space.
February 27, 2013 at 12:06pm     
maureenroth
I have an awkward room in an old house myself (11 x 21) and spent years with the bed shoved in one corner or another because of windows and doors. I finally put it in the middle of the room, in front of 3 windows and made an upholstered headboard. It looks great-should have done it years ago. Just don't make the headboard super high. I thought it would look odd blocking the windows but it doesn't.
February 27, 2013 at 12:06pm     
tt67
Maureen Roth...do you have a pic of the headboard?
February 27, 2013 at 12:29pm   
maureenroth
sure. The upholstery was easy, especially if you have an air stapler.You'll need plywood, 1 1/2 or 2" foam, and some poly batting.
February 27, 2013 at 1:02pm     
tt67
Thanks for pic. I can definitely handle that. I love the solid, but small, footprint of that headboard. Its perfect. I'm not sure how to let a thread die. This is my first post. I have enough ideas to keep me busy for a while.
February 28, 2013 at 5:51pm   
mainstreetschool
Center bed on these windows with headboard of your choice. Put the barrister bookcase on wall to right of bed (where armoire used to be). Love the color of the room. I have one the same blue and love it. Drapes under the toile toppers would soften the windows. Lose the cafe curtains.
February 28, 2013 at 8:12pm   
wstdspace
I also live in an old house and have one on my bedrooms painted dark blue. I lightened up the room with creams and golds. Although my pictures look a little dark, it really isn't dark at all.
February 28, 2013 at 8:28pm   
aniluap2
I think if you leave th current window treatment an old fashioned metal headboard in antiqued brass or oiled bronze would look best. I would put a collection of mixed blue and white transfer ware plates no the wall to lighten up all the blue space.
February 28, 2013 at 8:30pm