powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
need help! wall color, pillows, rug in my new living room!?
Ina
February 27, 2013 in Design Dilemma
need help! wall color, pillows, rug in my new living room!?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
A Crew of Two
great space!!! what colors are you drawn to?
February 27, 2013 at 7:56AM     
joytatum
Hi, i would go red, paint one wall red and the rest a lighter colour - throw a couple of red cushions on the sofa - - maybe get a really busy rug - then pillows should be plain - just my thought !!
February 27, 2013 at 8:02AM   
PRO
A Crew of Two
sooooo many choices
February 27, 2013 at 8:03AM   
joytatum
those colours are too dark, you need a bright contrast !! - go colour
February 27, 2013 at 8:08AM     
PRO
Otrada LLC
Do you need a rug? What's in the rest of the space? Since the sectional is large and the coffee table too, it leaves just a small area where the rug would show. If you want a rug, go for a solid color because a pattern would be difficult to see under all of the furniture. Otherwise, save the money.
February 27, 2013 at 8:11AM     
alolli
I would go for black and green yellow pillows and other objects in this beautiful living room,
to add contrast and emphasize the modern aspect. Hope you like it!
February 27, 2013 at 8:12AM   
Ina
I am trying with red rug, but i don't know if i like this!!??
February 27, 2013 at 8:13AM     
decoenthusiaste
I think your first step would be to anchor your seating area on a large area rug. Here are a couple of pics to indicate the size you need. Search the box above for gray sectional under photos and you'll get plenty of inspiration for your space.
Randall Mars
MODERN
February 27, 2013 at 8:14AM     
judianna20
I don't care for the rug, either. Your first pix…I like the idea of no rug. I would concentrate on wall color and throw pillows. Could the sectional be rotated so that the chaise runs under the window or would the back of the sofa interfere with the flow into another room?
February 27, 2013 at 8:18AM     
alolli
Hi! in my opinion, a black rug would fit perfect.
February 27, 2013 at 8:18AM   
judianna20
February 27, 2013 at 8:28AM     
PRO
Digital Imaging by Tina - Interior Designer
This is the best space to work with because it's empty. I'd start with an accent wall on the opposite side of the window. Start with the paint colors first then start tying in the accessories. Whichever color you decide on the accent wall; incorporate that color in your accessories. I’d also include neutral colored flowing drapes, from top to bottom. Houzz “Digital Imaging by Tina” www.brentsinteriorpainting.com
February 27, 2013 at 8:32AM     
joytatum
hi, sorry dont like the red rug either - maybe leave the rug out and splash colour with your cushions and one wall bright colour .... the coffee table is large so maybe a rug is not needed
February 27, 2013 at 8:33AM     
PRO
Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
You've got oodles of options here - you need to ask yourself - what colour makes you happy - and what is the style or image you want to portray.

Do you want to inject colour, or do you want it to stay neutral?

Give me some more feedback and then I'll send you some inspiration.
I'm not a big fan of red and grey - not enough "life" to it - unless you push the red raspberry...

Below is a photo of building a neutral scheme either colourful, or neutral - let me know which one appeals to you more - lots of colour, a little colour, or no colour - photos below are pretty much describing the two variables of lots of colour or not colour - they can equally be as interesting, you just need to design it correctly!
February 27, 2013 at 8:45AM     
Ina
@ Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
100% first photo. Color!!!!
February 27, 2013 at 9:01AM     
editorsinclair
A carpet will define the conversation space and add a hit of drama and style. What is yours? I would choose the rug first as there are millions of paint choices. Keep in mind accessories as punches of colour and/or design.
May 30, 2014 at 2:11PM   
jenab2
Love the coffee table. Where did you find it?
May 31, 2014 at 12:20AM     
PRO
Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
Hi Ina,
If you love colour then my very best advice is to go shopping and find one item - maybe a chair (if one would fit in the room), or a really bright colourful toss cushion. My inspiration for the room in the photo you love was the green chair with the tye-dye pattern. It has lots of colour in it, and I adored the pattern. From there I pulled more colour out of that inspiration and spread that colour love into the room - Voila, gorgeous, rich colour...

When your choosing your inspiration point - you'll know it when you see it - it is "love at first sight", but I normally don't buy it right away, well - I walk past it a few times checking out the store I'm in to make sure I'm in love with it. Then I go with my gut, and if I'm excited and all goose bumpy about the possibilities (I know, that sounds strange), but I know then its the right inspiration point. Good Luck Ina - post more photos when you've found your inspiration. Note: if your inspiration point doesn't have your sofa colour in it that's ok, but it is always better to have a little bit of it for that feeling of these things "belong" together...
May 31, 2014 at 9:41AM     
Colleen McCarthy
I like the ideas put forward in the pics by bubbles0208 and I think there are great ideas adding in the large room some texture in the items and fabrics suggested by chemayne. A red feature wall and throw cushions is a bit out of date. Colours of the moment are greys and yellow, teal, blues, neutrals are always in with accents this year of pale shades of the same colours like greys, beiges. As far as rug colour I would look to anchor the sofas by choosing a rug colour similar the the sofa colour but with texture. You have fabulous wall space for large art and great light from those windows. Bring some of the outside colour in with sage, moss greens perhaps.
June 1, 2014 at 5:44AM   
Coby Smit
Sectional couches are really difficult to arrange in a room sometimes. Wall art and or painting is a least of my problems at this point. So thank you for the feedback which i have also learnt from.
June 3, 2014 at 6:01AM   
editorsinclair
I agree sectionals can be tricky to arrange. You could try making a corner for it without blocking windows and/or views outside. I have one similar to this but not as great a colour. If there is space to create a corner, so that one section is along a wall, another section forming the angle into the room rather than along another wall. This would provide a natural and minimal room divider while creating the conversation area as a focal point. As for the colour, "so many choices," The style you want to create is the main consideration. The blue-grey sofa can impart a light and airy feel with white on the floor, walls and in accents. Or, for modern drama, consider accessorizing with a dark-to-espresso, high contrast graphic on the floor (choose area rug first before the wall paint) and perhaps pull colours from the rug for walls, one of them being dark. Pillows and artwork can have an element that ties together your colour palette and/or style.
June 3, 2014 at 10:42AM   
laurendesarno
Just wanted to say great coffee table!
June 3, 2014 at 10:46AM   
jalli
Where is the couch from? Love it!
June 3, 2014 at 5:15PM   
More Discussions
Glass Coffee Table - but want ottoman for comfort!
I love the look of low level glass coffee tables (like...
Need help with Kitchen Cabinets
The attached photos are my current kitchen. We are...
What color should I paint a small condo with NO direct light?
We just bought a 850 sq ft week-end condo with the...
To Basket or Not
We've got a kitchen that I love & a small collection...
What kind of dining table would suit my living room.
I am restoring my new apartment, at the moment i have...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.