Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
What could go on the side of TV?
bimmergirl
February 27, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I do not know what to put up on either side of the tv. There is 39" from the bottom of moulding to the mantle. I also have the wall behind the sectional that needs help. 8' windows go across the opposite wall.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
Lamps sitting on the mantle, collection of vases -

I hate tv's over fireplaces - not only is it difficult to accessorize but you shouldn't be accessorizing
it - detracts from the viewing of the TV...

Bad setup TV's over fireplaces - maybe you should continue with the bookshelves left and right of the TV to house the TV in its own alcove.n tie in with more millwork - that's about the only thing that will work...
February 27, 2013 at 9:53AM   
PRO
Carriage Lane Design-Build Inc.
you could do a nice floral arrangement or vignette of bowls / vases. I wouldn't do artwork or photos because it would compete too much with the television screen
February 27, 2013 at 9:55AM   
Amanda Marsh
Are you wanting something fixed or that could move or slide over to hide the tv?
February 27, 2013 at 9:55AM   
PRO
MarshMaven Images, Ltd.
I would put two large prints that complement each other on either side of the TV. Something that's bold but not too busy, perhaps a large single floral image or a vibrant landscape. I'd keep it relatively simple so as not to distract your eye too much from the TV when you're watching TV.

Something like these two, perhaps:
February 27, 2013 at 9:59AM   
Amy Stanley
I was thinking the shelves could be extended to the ceiling on both sides giving the tv its own spot, I would paint white behind it to unify it. Another possibility would be to frame in just above the fire place paint it white and have sconce lighting added above the bookshelves on both sides.
February 27, 2013 at 10:02AM     
cghdesign
I would continue the book shelves. Not sure where (or if) you have a dvd player, cable box, sound system but doors (maybe with frosted glass) could be incorporated to hide that stuff. Possible even some hide away or folding doors to hide the tv. Although they may never be closed if this is your main place to watch tv. I was actually thinking sconces also as another idea. I have sconces and small windows flanking my tv above fireplace.
February 27, 2013 at 10:07AM   
charnarose
What about starting from the left hand corner, with blue painters tape, tape off every 12 inches and paint with gel paint in the color of browny bronze. The stripes would be the accent on the wall and maybe the tv would blend in instead of sticking out. When you do the gel or even watered down brown paint do it lightly not being real heavy.
February 27, 2013 at 6:57PM   
PRO
Welcome Home designs
I agree that you either need to take the bookcases to the ceiling or define the TV area by giving the illusion of a floor to ceiling fireplace. (As already suggested - framing the TV area with wood trim and painting the wall behind the TV white )
The attached photo shows this effect.

February 27, 2013 at 10:20PM   
kgarrison1
I would pull out the shelves of the built-in on the left side, and mount the TV into that space. Better viewing for your neck, and the lighting, also all of your pretty things will look spectacular on the mantle and with a few tall things, or a great mirror or piece of art.
February 27, 2013 at 10:27PM   
PRO
TVCoverUps
There has been a lot of discussion here about complimenting the TV with framed artwork. Why not do both and still hide your TV? A solution like TVCoverUps allows for framed artwork or panel to provide the focal point of the room, until it swings upward to reveal your hidden TV. It comes in automatic and manual lifts and allows for TV tilting hardware- where you could adjust the height of the TV for your best viewing experience. It can be built also to store AV equipment, speakers, blu-ray, wires and other consoles. Each unit is custom to viewer and space, so it is always best to give us a call.
February 28, 2013 at 10:09AM     
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
Paint the entire upper portion of the wall the white of the fireplace & shelves. On the side walls where the shelf unit comes out..add a small piece of trim molding to go up the side wall to the crown (basically to square off the shelves) paint that portion of the side walls also white. You could also place 2 more pieces of molding straight up from the fireplace sides, straight up to the crown. Now you can add framed art, photos, metal pieces, medallions ...keep the scale quite large...BUT keep it symmetrical..same sizes on both sides.
February 28, 2013 at 10:20AM   
bimmergirl
Thank you all for the suggestions. You have all given me a lot to think about. I appreciate the pictures added to your comments. Barbara I really like the idea of going up the side wall and the symmetrical suggestion.
March 2, 2013 at 5:52PM   
PRO
A Crew of Two
What about putting these faux stone panels up behind the TV to carry the FP up. Paint the wall white- as mentioned above with the trim. Flank the TV with some artwork.
March 2, 2013 at 6:23PM   
decoenthusiaste
I agree with the post suggesting you clear out the left shelves and put the tv there. Then you can move your collection of clocks to the mantel and add artwork to each side wall - that will be the easiest and cheapest way to go I think. Then take one of your two photo groupings to the wall by the sofa. Use the white matted ones in warm weather, and switch them with the dark ones for cool season decor. With the remaining shelves do 1/3 books, 1/3 open space, 1/3 decor items.
March 2, 2013 at 6:47PM   
lisa_mocha
We had same issue...ended up with 2 mirrors. I like that they don't 'complete' with the TV as artwork might. I've attached a pic as a reference. As you can see, we have similiar set-up.
March 2, 2013 at 8:19PM     
anne dee

this is a bedroom pic but the idea of 2 wall sconces may solve your problem. same idea as
Lisa Mocha and I believe another poster mentioned flanking sconces. Maybe the visual will help you.
March 2, 2013 at 8:41PM     
janellemccain
TV should never be the focal point of room. Also it's too high. Can it go on a stand on another wall or in a corner?
March 2, 2013 at 8:59PM     
hockey456
I agree with all of the comments thus far. But, if you are looking for a very simple, quick fix, try flanking the tv with matching medallions. They won't compete for attention, but will fill the space nicely and bring balance.

March 2, 2013 at 11:57PM   
Jodi Walker
I would mount and rearrange the family pics on the top shelf on either side of tv, move ornaments up a level & have natural wicker baskets on the bottom shelf.
March 3, 2013 at 1:04AM   
dolampe
What color paint have you put on the walls. It goes well with the couch. Is the couch green or grey?
March 3, 2013 at 4:01AM   
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.