Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Dining table and chairs ideas
sondramartina
February 27, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Very soon my husband will start making our dining table using existing table black metal frame and legs but without scroll detail -it will be removed. Table top will be wooden and I have to decide about wood finish and shape.Also I have to decide what kind of chairs would look good in this space.Living room is adjacent to dining room.
Ideas?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sondramartina
I am done changing my living so this is what it is except minor details,pillows and possibly different art instead of b& w painting.
0 Likes   February 27, 2013 at 10:38AM
sondramartina
My idea for table was something like this one .
2 Likes   February 27, 2013 at 11:07AM
decoenthusiaste
Have you considered a "live edge" table? Search live edge dining table in the box above under photos to see lots of examples with different chairs.

4 Likes   February 27, 2013 at 11:13AM
sondramartina
Yes i was considering that one. I think all kind of chairs can be combined with that kind of table but I am afraid that chairs that I like won't be good because of that entertainment unit that is transitional in style and my favorite chairs are modern or mid century.
0 Likes   February 27, 2013 at 11:18AM
sondramartina
Chairs that I like
1 Like   February 27, 2013 at 11:22AM
PRO
Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
I'd go round or at least oval table top- and move the light fixture to be positioned centre on the room -
0 Likes   February 27, 2013 at 11:25AM
sondramartina
Marie i like your idea ,but round would not work since the base already exist and it is rectangular.But oval could be nice.
0 Likes   February 27, 2013 at 11:32AM
sondramartina
All these chairs are leather or leatherette ,is that too much since I have leather sectional and chair.
I also like these. Which one would you suggest?
0 Likes   February 27, 2013 at 12:29PM
bevballew
What color is in the rug? What color is the leather sofa? Need to work from colors in the rug. It looks nice and a good start.
0 Likes   February 27, 2013 at 1:39PM
sondramartina
Above I posted pics from my livingroom .Sofa is gray .I dont have rug in DR yet. My main concern is chair style .
0 Likes   February 27, 2013 at 5:47PM
jansseninteriors
sondra... I can't understand why you are rebuilding the table. Have you looked on craigslist? You are asking for opinions on various chair styles but the style of the table is still a mystery. I like chairs #1 and #3 best, but don't know what thas has to do with anything.
0 Likes   February 27, 2013 at 6:04PM
sondramartina
Simply said ,if we make dining table similar to this one(we have wood and base so it will cost us 50$) what type of chairs would you recommend to complement my living room that is adjacent to DR?
0 Likes   February 27, 2013 at 6:41PM
bevballew
Love the table....and chairs!
3 Likes   February 27, 2013 at 7:29PM
designideas4me
ah... so you decided on a nice rug and chair i see...looks good. How is he going to attatch the wood top to the metal legs? I am curious.
0 Likes   February 27, 2013 at 8:00PM
designideas4me
I think the chair with the metal legs might work. Stay with materials that are consistant with your legs on the coffee table or couch. I like the reclangular wood.
0 Likes   February 27, 2013 at 8:03PM
sondramartina
I just realized that most of these chairs are insanely expensive,one of them is 850$ plus tax!,, x 6 chairs??!!
1 Like   February 28, 2013 at 4:21AM
jansseninteriors
Okay. I am beginning to understand what you are trying to imagine.

First you said that you needed to decide the shape and finish of the table, and then you said you needed to select the chairs. Now I am thinking that you want to select a chair first, to design the table to go with the chairs. Am I correct?

In your living room, you have an arc lamp and some very subtle references to mid-century modern styles. Those references are a bit "too subtle" at the moment, and you are "whispering" your design statement. The dining room table and chairs would be a good way to turn up the volume on your style direction.

In your first table photo you show a boat shaped table with low back chairs (looks like a conference room in a lawyer's office). I like the "live edge" table much more... it has the Japanese/ mid-century style sense about it. Your metal base could be given a finish that looks a bit industrial (raw metal?) or perhaps a rusty appearance. I assume that you will be removing the benches from the dining room.

Chair #1 (first chair photo you posted) has a very similar style to your living room furniture, with a subtle nod to mid-century. The design is good. Chair #2 looks common. Chair #3 has that strong Japanese influence and shouts of mid-century, design is good. Chair #4 belongs in a kitchen (not a dining room). Chair #5 is unlike the others, with a high back instead of low back as shown in all of your other choices. Chair #5 will pull your table base right back to the 80s & 90s (FLUNK).

So, my chair preferences are still #1 and #3... but that isn't going to solve your problem with the entertainment unit. In fact, it will probably make you want to get rid of that piece even more. If you want to like the entertainment unit, then a transitional or traditional dining table and chairs (not made from your 80s table base) would give that piece a reason for existing in your home.

With flat screen TVs there is no reason to have "entertainment units". Yours does not seem to place a TV where it can be viewed from the sofa, so perhaps you should back up, take some photos of the room that explain the entertainment unit, and ask a different question. I am going to suggest AGAIN that you look on craigslist. A variety of wood that will take that 80s table base and make it into something nice would be more expensive than buying a used complete set. You can sell your entertainment unit on craigslist to raise the cash to buy what you really want (used). You could also decide to keep the dining benches, buy just a table and two end chairs (used) to keep the budget low.

I'm not trying to be a meanie, but I sense that you have some odd ideas that are holding you back from getting to the design that you want. You started out with one question, and then changed it to a different question, and you haven't even shown the entertainment center that was mentioned as a concern somewhere in the middle. If you want to think "like a designer" then set a budget (let's say $500) and go to craigslist. You can problably raise another $300 by selling everything that you don't want. Now you have an even larger budget to work with.

I personally would not invest $50 plus labor in your existing table. You'll be stuck with it forever. I do not see any reason to try to make it work... it isn't great furniture to start with.
0 Likes   February 28, 2013 at 4:59AM
sondramartina
Thank you jansseninteriors so much for this !
Maybe it is good idea to buy chairs first and then tweak table design? I don’t see why my table base is so bad once we remove scroll detail? Actually hubby got that idea once he saw the table that is almost identical like the one we are making and it looked awesome .And pricey too- 1800$ .And he has wooden planks in the garage and all the tools .
Regarding entertainment unit- I can sell it. But then I will end up in different kind of trouble, buying another piece for the TV and all that space and empty wall beside ! I don’t have extra money to spend .I would just try to live with it for few more years and then sell it. It really does not look bad in reality and it does not look cheap. Viewing angle is perfect, sofa is facing TV, so no problem with that.
0 Likes   February 28, 2013 at 6:09AM
sondramartina
@designideas4me ,Regarding your question .Basically he can use L brackets to screw top & legs together ,probably somewhere inside in places where it can not be seen.
0 Likes   February 28, 2013 at 7:55AM
Aja Mazin
sondramartina,

Your living room looks fantastic!
Absolutely love the B&W art.
Please keep it!

The chair prices are OUTRAGEOUS!!!

Pick your chair style, and I'll search the internet for some good deals for you!!

Glad you are reusing your wood table top - smart move!

Aja
1 Like   February 28, 2013 at 8:21AM
1 Like   February 28, 2013 at 8:24AM
Aja Mazin
OK - What is the "problem" with the entertainment unit?
0 Likes   February 28, 2013 at 8:25AM
sondramartina
Thank you Aja & Groveraxle . Do you think that leather or leatherete chair seats will be too much ,since I have it in the LR?
I will try to find more chairs that i like for you Aja if you have time to search. :)
Even this one would cost me 400$/chair but I like it.It comes in black or white leather.
1 Like   February 28, 2013 at 8:32AM
Aja Mazin
I have time for you!

I love leather/leatherete - easy to clean, durable, and always in style!
0 Likes   February 28, 2013 at 8:41AM
sondramartina
I should really get the chairs first and than do the table top stain!
I think" problem "with entertainment unit is that some people on Houzz dont like it .
1 Like   February 28, 2013 at 8:44AM
Aja Mazin
Duarte Modern Leatherette Dining Chairs (Set of 2)
$154.99

Button-tufted White Parsons Chair (Set of 2)
$146.99
1 Like   February 28, 2013 at 8:54AM
sondramartina
Thank you Aja. That gave me some ideas. I would not buy super cheap chairs,once i tried. 90 $ chair,horrible .Moderately priced is ok. Like designideas4me said i have to pay attention to leg style
0 Likes   February 28, 2013 at 10:08AM
Aja Mazin
Oh goodie!
Found many nice ones around $150 each!

Do you want straight, thin, metal legs only?
0 Likes   February 28, 2013 at 10:14AM
Aja Mazin
From Mobilia:

FONZI $119
CAPRI $129
AROSA $349
ST-LAURENT $149
0 Likes   February 28, 2013 at 10:27AM
Aja Mazin
I like the ST-LAURENT
1 Like   February 28, 2013 at 10:29AM
0 Likes   February 28, 2013 at 10:33AM
sondramartina
You used google image search ,didnt you ? :))Sometimes i think more women should work as private investigators :)
1 Like   February 28, 2013 at 10:43AM
sondramartina
Not necessary with metal legs .wood and metal,wood....
0 Likes   February 28, 2013 at 10:48AM
Aja Mazin
I am waiting anxiously for Google Best Deal Search!
1 Like   February 28, 2013 at 10:48AM
Aja Mazin
Sonore Solid Wood Mid-Century Style Dining Chair, Set of 2
Price: $387

Description:
This modern dining chair has a mid-century flair. It comes in solid wooden frame and has a walnut like stain finish. It has retro-inspired design and artistic rounded lines which is a great way to beautify your dining room. It has a gentle curved back with medium wood stain that resembles walnut. The seat padded with dense foam increases the comfort feel. It has a finishing with soft faux leather in black color. It provides an added protection for sensitive flooring as it comes in opaque non-marking foot.

Company/Brand Name:Baxton Studio
0 Likes   February 28, 2013 at 10:56AM
sondramartina
I love them and price is ok.Where did you find it? How would it look like in my room?
0 Likes   February 28, 2013 at 11:15AM
0 Likes   February 28, 2013 at 11:21AM
Aja Mazin
Best Value - Selected as 1 of the 7 Most Elegant Chairs !!!
0 Likes   February 28, 2013 at 11:24AM
0 Likes   February 28, 2013 at 11:35AM
Aja Mazin
Last one I will bother you with:

Chintaly Imports Dusty Club Swivel Black Arm Chair - Set of 2
$297.86
FREE SHIPPING!

Also, in colours

[IT LOOKS SO COMFY!]
0 Likes   February 28, 2013 at 11:50AM
sondramartina
Aja thank you sooooo much. I hope hubby will like it too.
1 Like   February 28, 2013 at 11:58AM
More Discussions
Fireplace
For some reason this brick fireplace was painted white....
Old tile is discontinued.
I'm extending the lanai but can't find the same tile....
Help I'm obsessed with BEIGE
I feel like my living room is too beige and boring....
Outdoor kitchen
Found a beautiful outdoor kitchen that was built under...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.