Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
HELP with selecting area rug!
mmhassa2
February 27, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I posted for suggestion for this room last week and got some great response...but soon realised all the changes were a bit too much for my to digest. So what I need desperate help with is selecting an area rug for this space. I've already placed a order for faux silk mushroom colored curtains for the space.

I have a few hurdles which is making this task harder than usual.

1. I plan to purchase it online as rugs in Toronto, Ont are pretty much 50-70% more than what I can purchase through stores like overstock, wayfair, rugsusa. And with small children trying to find the rugs in person to look at them is pretty hard as well. Budget $600.

2. Our sofa looks greyish during the day, but beige at night. Since guests would be visiting at night would like to keep the beige tone on mind.

3. What kind of pattern should I look for in Damask? More sharp damask similar to the wallpaper or larger prints?

I'm SOOO desperately looking for suggestions from online sources and thank you in advance. Feel free to post the rugs from the online stores.

You can see in the photos below, how the sofa looks at night/day.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
A Crew of Two
Etsy is a great place for pillows, they have an old worn in feel to them. I know this color is wrong just an idea of what they have. Rugs Direct is a great place to shop.They offer free shipping and a free trial time.
February 27, 2013 at 11:43AM     
PRO
Stanton Designs-online design services
I would not suggest a floral or damask or a rug with much movement. It will compete with the wallpaper....and you do not want to take away from that! It's amazing. I would suggest a soft solid neutral, or a soft striped rug.
February 27, 2013 at 2:33PM     
Erin
Try ordering some samples to just see what you like. I know it seems like a waste if they charge you shipping but you really just need to see it in your space.
February 27, 2013 at 2:38PM     
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
Check out this pattern in silver..I do not believe ti would compete with the wallpaper I like the addition of the curved lines....http://www.homedecorators.com/detail.php?parentid=13128&search=13128&suggest=11&sItem=14070
February 27, 2013 at 2:43PM     
mmhassa2
Thanks for the suggestions....I do want te accent wall to stand out but at the same time dont want the carpet to be too bland. What about this one? Has a sheen to is in neutral colors? http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/nourison-rugs-east-hampton-flocked-ivory?ID=772216&CategoryID=16905&LinkType=PDPZ1
February 27, 2013 at 2:58PM     
PRO
CMR Interiors & Design Consultations Inc.
Check out the website for Tai Ping. They can make anything and custom.
February 27, 2013 at 3:00PM   
mmhassa2
Thanks but being in a tight budget I dont think custom is the way for me to go.

I will reattach the photo I have of the actual rug from Macys in ivory. I think this might work? It has interest but still not over-powering?
February 27, 2013 at 3:04PM     
PRO
Bradley Bayou
Area rugs are definitely a hard piece to find and most important to really tie a room together. I normally like to start with the area rug and pull my colors up from there, but in your case, the wall paper and paisley prints are already so busy you should look for something muted in pattern but still able to bring some color into the space. With all the taupe/beige/gray tones that the rest of your furniture reads, no matter night or day, if the rug has some color to it more like the wallpaper it will help make the freestanding pieces pop! Good-luck!
February 27, 2013 at 3:05PM     
Manon Floreat
I agree with Stanton Designs that a subtle rug would be a good fit for the space. I like this ombre striped one from Hayneedle. An 8x10 is $585. I also think the room could use some additional lighting in the form of a table lam and/or floor lamp. Here's a collage to show how the Hayneedle rug would look with your palette.
February 27, 2013 at 3:07PM     
anne dee
have you considered the colors in the wallpaper print.
You wouldn't want a carpet to compete with the wall paper design and color.
they should complement one another. IMHO
February 27, 2013 at 3:18PM   
michigammemom
I love the casual elegance of the Darien area rug from Home Decorators. It has just a hint of the robin's egg blue from your wallpaper.
February 27, 2013 at 3:24PM     
thislittlehouse
I think you should repeat the soft blue of the wall behind the sofa in your rug.

Your room and furniture is simply beautiful, by the way! Jealous! :)
February 27, 2013 at 3:38PM     
mmhassa2
Manon:::Im really liking this rug...the colors seem to go well with the room. I will try to find a local retailer tomorrow and see it in person. Could you tell me where the 2 cushions are from? They are so pretty!

Still open for some more rug suggestions....Would like to stay away from bordered rugs as well. Thank you all again for all of your help. :)
February 27, 2013 at 8:14PM   
PRO
February 27, 2013 at 9:33PM     
Manon Floreat
Hi, mmhassa2. I like those pillows, too. I especially like the sparkle that the sequined would bring to your room. You can find it at Pier 1 Imports:: http://www.pier1.com/Metallic-Linen-Sequin-Pillow/2637553,default,pd.html.

West Elm has one that is similar: http://www.westelm.com/products/random-sparkle-pillow-cover-b762/?pkey=cpillows&cm_src=pillows||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_--_-

The damask pillow was on Etsy and is sold. Many of the artists on Etsy do custom work, though. You may want to contact the the shop owner to find out more: http://www.etsy.com/listing/33637847/black-taupe-damask-pillow-cover-16-in

Good luck with your project. It's looking really wonderful!
February 28, 2013 at 12:31PM     
orangecamera
I really love your living room furniture and the wallpaper. I know this isn't what you asked, but it may help you...I think the appearance of the color change on the furniture from day to night is because of the difference between natural light and the artificial light bulbs in your fixture. Someone at a lighting store (or houzz) can suggest the right type of bulb to look more like natural light, and keep your furniture looking gray. I like the way it looks in the natural light along with your paint and wallpaper. :)

In any case, when choosing the area rug, you'll have to see how it looks in the daytime and nighttime, because the same sort of color change will happen (unless you change light bulbs....)
March 2, 2013 at 12:28AM     
PRO
Maison Pompeii Antiques and Interiors
Beautiful furniture and Wallpaper. I think that the reason you are having trouble finding a rug is that more of the same at this point is too much. I would find a rug that is predominantly a different color from what is the room presently. In this manner the rug will stand on its own and not compete with the wallpaper. A plain flotaki rug would look great by adding texture to the room. and the off white color will go with the furniture no matter which light source, nature or bulbs are being used. Good Luck.
March 2, 2013 at 2:25AM     
janicedonato
Beautiful, elegant room! I feel a rug that picks up the shade of your wallpaper would look great...minimally though. Mostly beige/gray with a touch of the aqua.
March 2, 2013 at 4:48AM     
PRO
MAGGIE FLOWERS INTERIOR DESIGN LTD
Use a more plain rug in just the aqua but with loads of texture. Have a broadloom carpet cut to size, it might be the least expensive. Pillows or a throw on the chairs and paint the white table base a silvery aqua in a deep tone.
March 2, 2013 at 5:19AM     
mmhassa2
Thank you all for such amazing response! I managed (with 2 screaming toddler boys) to see a handful of the graphic illusion rugs in person and to my surprise the cheaper beige won looked like it was safe yet had interest to it. I've placed an order for the rug below and cant wait till we have it in the room....The room btw is no where near finished. We still need to pick accent furniture, accessories etc.

While Im on the topic of accessories, I'm thinking of adding either plant on the wall beside the upstairs stairs just not surw which one to get: http://www.walmart.com/ip/7-Paradise-Palm/16933991

Or http://www.walmart.com/ip/6.5-Golden-Cane-Palm-Silk-Tree/16934001
March 3, 2013 at 9:55AM