Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with kitchen lighting
cafemaple
February 27, 2013 in Design Dilemma
My kitchen is quite large with centre island and sofa seating area at one end. There are some other things I will get to later, but would like to deal with lighting now. Room measures about 18' x 22'. Ceiling fixtures are about 5' from each end - leaving about 11' between fixtures. My dilemma is what kind of fixtures to install? Any ideas?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Tarey Cullen
couple of questions;
1. the kit island appears to be "mobile" meaning the top is sitting on what I think are a couple of 24" base cabinets. Is this secured to the floor ? would you consider enlarging the island ?
2. There appears to be a sting of Christmas lights along the red wall ? Are they there to be functional or decorative?
3. Do you know which way your rafters run ? and would the opening between those rafters allow you to connect a new fixture between the existing lights? ( One thing to check- does the light switch control both lights? ) If it does more than likely the wire between the two could be spliced and another light added easily.
February 27, 2013 at 12:04PM   
cafemaple
1. Yes, it is mobile - not attached to floor. Not sure I want to enlarge the island. We really like the seating area (There is a couch that matches the loveseat you can see in the photo - it is at the end opposite the stove). We entertain in the kitchen quite a bit and like the more comfortable seating. I think if the island gets much bigger we would have to lose the seating. 2. The star lights are left over from Christmas - purely decorative. (The clutter is just that! Product of a busy life!) :)
3. I don't know what's going on with the studs. It's a two story house so I don't know how to find out. The two lights are on different switches.
February 27, 2013 at 12:27PM   
Tarey Cullen
Good info. Here's an article that may cover a lot of your questions.
You are going to see a lot of recomendations on putting in a "track light"
make up your own mind aboutabout what you like and if having a rail; exposed on the ceiling works. One advantage - you can hang fixtures and move them.
look into adding lights above and below the cabinets. they really can "illuminate a space. and, FYI, the dark red wall is absorbing light.
http://www.forresidentialpros.com/article/10345475/a-recipe-for-optimum-kitchen-lighting.

"So, what’s the best way to ensure the kitchen is adequately lit? According to the ALA, it’s all about “the power of three.”

“Use a minimum of three types of lighting – a central fixture, recessed and undercabinet – and put each on different switches or dimmers,” advises Joe Rey-Barreau, education consultant for the ALA and an associate professor at the University of Kentucky’s School of Interior Design. “Having only one of these components creates a static, and often not functional, lighting effect.”
February 27, 2013 at 12:45PM   
Tarey Cullen
next step is put together a floor plan so everyone has an idea of the space and use.
February 27, 2013 at 12:47PM   
PRO
PYRAMID DESIGN GROUP
THE 2 EXISTING CEILING LIGNTS CAN BE SWITCHED TO RECESSED LIGHTS OR NON OBTRUSIVE LOW PROFILE SIMPLE SURFACE MOUNTED LIGHTS--THEN HAVE SOME FUN WITH 2COLORFUL AND DECORATIVE PENDANT LIGHTS ABOVE THE ISLAND.
February 27, 2013 at 12:56PM   
cafemaple
Thanks! I will read the article and see what I can find out about the possibility of adding an extra ceiling light (or two) between the two existing lights.
We previously had simple flush mounted lights and when we painted (a while ago!) I decided not to put the fixtures back up - but now can't seem to decide on a plan. I've seen fixtures I like, but none seem to fit the space. I think adding 1-2 more ceiling lights is the answer - if it can be done without a huge cost. I like the idea of something with character over the island!
We do have some under counter lighting (strip over work area to right of stove, and pot light over sink). The red wall is actually kind of a burnt orange. I like the colour, but agree it absorbs light. Natural light in the room is minimal - although we have a large window over the couch, there is a roof over the back deck that blocks some of hte light. The window over the sink is partially shaded by a roof over the attached carport.
Attaching opposite view photo.
February 27, 2013 at 1:21PM   
More Discussions
need help for florring
Renovating my house. need advice for florring. i should...
Curb Appeal or should I say LACK OF Curb Appeal, HELP!!
Hi All, we are preparing the inside of our Pacific...
soapstone care
My counter fabricator says he seals soapstone with...
How should I use this blank space?
There is about 6-8 feet of space from couch to back...
Curb Appeal
Looking to add some interest to our old house built...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.