Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with family room
mymich
February 27, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I just posted but am now adding images. I took my living room/family room and redid the entire fireplace wall which was an ugly outdated stone. Now the wall is pretty but very modern with chrome sconces, as suggested by my contractor, and doesn't seem to go with the rest of the room, which is more transitional and has no white in it. The tables in front of the couch are temporary. I could use some advice on how to bring the room together without spending a fortune. Thank you.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
jeninemvidoli
i would just change the sconces to be more traditional to and tie together the rug and opposite wall.
February 27, 2013 at 12:56PM     
mymich
do you think it is ok that the hardware is chrome on the piece under the tv or should that change as well? I realize there is no picture attached for that. I will attach one soon.
February 27, 2013 at 1:03PM   
PRO
PYRAMID DESIGN GROUP
CONTRACTERS BUILD--DESIGNERS DESIGN--BOTH ARE IMPORTANT. YOU ARE NOT THE FIRST TO HAVE A CONTRACTOR SUGGEST UNTRAINED DESIGN SOLUTIONS. I HOPE THIS DOES NOT SOUND HARSH. BUT INNAPPROPIATE DESIGH THAT HAS TO BE REDONE COSTS MORE THAT HIRING A DESIGH PROFESSIONAL IN THE FIRST PLACE.
February 27, 2013 at 1:07PM     
mymich
You are right but it is a little too late for that. where are you located? maybe I will hire someone know to walk me through rest of process. thanks.
February 27, 2013 at 1:09PM   
mymich
I posted a better picture of fireplace wall and also tv console that are beautiful but have chrome hardware. Did you see them?
February 27, 2013 at 1:10PM   
shannon05
Well I'm not a professional, but I think the sconces look fine. I would bring in some art above the fireplace to add some color, this could really change the tone of the room depending on what kind of art piece you pick. I can see a leather couch and a nice coffee table, as well as some art on the wall above the where the couch is sitting now. Some throw pillows....and wha la! :)
February 27, 2013 at 1:56PM     
mymich
Thank you because I am really feeling miserable about how much I spent and it not looking great.
February 27, 2013 at 2:01PM   
shannon05
You should not feel miserable! Our homes are a constant project, it's like the inbox.... never empty! :)
February 27, 2013 at 2:10PM     
Laurie
I think the room looks nice. You need some art on the walls, loose the tv tables and add a nice coffee table instead, and as mentioned a new rug. Is that large pitcher thing holding firewood? Place it closer to the fireplace then, or loose it from the room. What is the low shelf? Could you post a better photo of that?
February 27, 2013 at 2:12PM     
mymich
Yes the shelf is a hanging shelf off fireplace and cant be moved. I need to get a cocktail table, just not sure which kind. The larger pitcher is holding firewood but I think it needs to leave room as it is aged bronze, very antique and no longer fits . I cant get new rug right now; that rug was very expensive. I will get some art. Any thoughts on type cocktail table? And do you think it is ok that fireplace wall is white and others have goldish grasscloth? What about a chrome and glass coffee table to go with chrome sconces and hardware on tv console? Thank you so much
February 27, 2013 at 2:15PM   
calidesign
See if you can hire a designer to come in, on an hourly basis, and give you suggestions. It looks like you could use help with space planning, the coffee table, and the lighting. Your rug, sofa, and everything else are very traditional, so I do think you will be happier replacing the sconces. See if the contractor will take them back.
February 27, 2013 at 2:15PM     
PRO
Stanton Designs-online design services
I would find a traditional piece of art to hang above the fireplace. That will distract the modern lighting a little. But you can direct your room to a little more transitional...a mix between modern and traditional...you can keep the main focus more traditional.
February 27, 2013 at 2:16PM     
Laurie
I think the white wall is fine. I would put coloured lamp shades on the sconces. If you want to change the metal colour but can't afford new lights, paint what you have. There are so many kinds of spray paint out there that mimic types of metal. Since the room is rectangular, I would go with a rectangular table. Matching the shelf wood and tv cabinet would help tie things together.
Another thing you could do is paint the white wall a contrasting colour to your wallpaper leaving the raised trim pieces white. Maybe pull a colour out of the rug that you like. LIke the second and third photos in this link: http://www.zimbio.com/Wainscoting+Ideas
Or this ceiling: http://qawoo.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/How-to-Install-Wainscoting-White-Painted.jpg
Or this wall: http://www.porterhousedesigns.com/colorsizzle/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/Picture-31.png
February 27, 2013 at 3:23PM     
mymich
thank you. I was thinking about doing that. Painting inside of boxes ivory, leaving edges white, and then painting rest of wall ivory. Unfortunately, I could not open photo of ceiling but thanks.
February 27, 2013 at 3:28PM     
Laurie
If you want to play around with the furniture arrangement try this site. I love it! I used it for my son's room and it really helped me. http://urbanbarn.icovia.com/icovia.aspx
The ceiling shows a darker colour base with the white wood. It really pops that way.
February 27, 2013 at 3:57PM   
laurae1967
Put some art work on the walls - some large pieces or groupings of various sizes. Get a large coffee table in a distressed wood table in a dark stain (espresso brown) and put a big mirror above the fireplace. Also get some big throw pillows for the couch in a color scheme that compliments the rug - something other than brown since that would be boring with the camel couch. I'm thinking navy pillows in a pattern, but not too busy.
February 27, 2013 at 4:37PM   
laurae1967
A chrome and glass coffee table sounds too 80s to me. I would also swap out the shades on the sconces to something in a camel color. The white shades blend in with the white wall.
February 27, 2013 at 4:43PM     
Susan Flowers
I think the wall is the problem...the white is too stark...I'd probably paint it at least as dark as the grass cloth so the trim will pop....I don't think modern is the problem, but the sconces look very linear...art work would help change focus
February 27, 2013 at 5:20PM   
PRO
Cheryl Bohlin
Im a huge fan of rugs; Id put one behind the tv console to frame it out, it probably even drape on from the banister upstairs..
February 27, 2013 at 5:50PM   
glendahendry
I agree that different shades would change the appearance of the sconces and a picture with an antiqued silver frame (or a mirror) would help with the flow.
February 27, 2013 at 5:51PM   
PRO
Cheryl Bohlin
and an ottoman coffee table, you can easily put a tray on top to house drinks or dishes, but when you dont need a place to set a drink its great for putting up your feet and watching tv... and family photos into a family wall.
February 27, 2013 at 6:06PM     
carolins
Actually, although perhaps a contractor isn't the right person to take design advice from, I like the look of your room. Beautiful furniture (except the tables ;-)), gorgeous rug, nice wall sconces too. I don't think they look out of place. Most important thing is... do you like them? And do you already have another coffee table? Do you dislike the chrome? Otherwise you could buy a chrome/glass coffee table or one of those nests of tables that are very practical to have and don't take up much space.

Also, I can't see it very well in the photo, place the rug so that the front feet (of is it legs? I'm Dutch, sometimes struggle to find the right words, sorry) of you chair and sofa's are on it. It will create a more 'together' space.

You have a sort of eclectic feel going on I think. Your dining room furniture and lamp seem to be a pretty eclectic combination too.

Smart Glass Top Coffee Table
Bloc Nesting Tables

But if you really dislike the chrome, probably changing the sconces will be the best thing to do.
February 28, 2013 at 3:56AM   
carolins
Look, they have chrome, antique, brass, modern... all combined in one room. It can work. Just go for what you love (you may hate glass/chrome tables :-)) and it will all come together. Don't worry!

jamesthomas, LLC
Hollywood Residence
February 28, 2013 at 4:08AM     
PRO
Gabberts Design Studio
I feel like all the furniture is pushed to the walls, and there is a large open space where all you see is the rug. I would suggest pulling the furniture away from the walls, to create more of a grouping and conversation area. Adding lamps, pillows and drapes can be inexpensive and will add a lot of impact to the room.
February 28, 2013 at 5:35AM     
calikym
Gabberts got the problem right from what I can see..you have a TV on 1 end of the room and the fireplace on the other. It seems like you need to choose a side to be the heart of your room design. As for the chrome fixtures, they don't look as bad as you think, especially if you place some type of artwork above the mantel. If you decide to make the fireplace the front of the room then the dilemma will be the TV. I would put it above the fireplace and remove the lights to allow for more TV width.
February 28, 2013 at 5:43AM   
eggfoosushi
Use the urban barn tool 'aswedishelf' gave you the link for. Make a floor plan of your room then use the 'symbols' catagory to make the furniture you own... the dimensions of the pieces of furniture in 'symbols' can be altered. Then move stuff around, see if your tv stand can be placed where the sofa is directly opposite the fireplace then see if the sofa would look good in the area where the tv was (but not right up against the wall) try as many different layouts as the space will allow. If your L shape sofa is a long sofa with a one armed chair attached consider them as two seperate pieces. Sort your spatial planning out before you consider colours, wall art etc. Only put in the room what you really like, you're the one that has to live with it.
February 28, 2013 at 11:00AM     
PRO
Designer Wallcoverings
Grasscloth would look great here. http://www.grassclothwallcoverings.com/
February 28, 2013 at 1:09PM   
eggfoosushi
The long dark shelf that you have, if it's staying possibly add another above and use them to display paintings of varying heights and the odd ornament. (like the image in your idea book) Rather thn leave the shelf a dark colour, paint it to match the wall colour then the focus is on the art.
February 28, 2013 at 1:31PM   
PRO
Barnhart Gallery
Uh oh, looks like we have two long threads going on the same room:
http://www.houzz.com/discussions/371671/Living-Family-Room-Photos
February 28, 2013 at 1:59PM   
mymich
Yes maybe that is why I cant find some of of the older comments I was looking for. Can i fix this?
February 28, 2013 at 2:29PM   
Laurie
eggfoosushi has a good idea with adding another shelf, except I would stagger a couple of shelves above it that aren't as long as the low shelf. If you divide the long shelf in thirds and put a shelf at those points above it and stepped up from each other, it would look good.
February 28, 2013 at 3:12PM   
oneofeleven
First of all, I would like to say that this is a lovely room that only needs a bit of accessorizing. Secondly, I feel it was wrong of Pyramid Design Group to response in capital letters as we all know that is the equivalent of shouting. Your bad! My suggestion is to pull your single chair in closer and put a lovely palm plant behind. I would change the lampshades to black and put a large piece of art in between. Get something that you love. I like your rug too. Pull some of the other colours from it for cushions for the couch. Cushions with white and your wall colour would help. I see some red/wine in the rug, this could be an accent colour if you like it. I've attached a few ideas for coffee tables. I'm suggesting wood to tie it in with your wood shelf and keep the warm comfortable feeling you already have. Good luck and keep us posted.

http://pinterest.com/pin/234750199298443061/ http://pinterest.com/pin/234750199297364440/
February 28, 2013 at 5:01PM   
oneofeleven
P.S. It looks like it's difficult to watch television with your current furniture placement. Have you thought about mounting the set on the wall opposite the sofa?
February 28, 2013 at 5:05PM   
mymich
thanks good suggestion. Actually the picture may be confusing but tv viewing is very comfortable. I like the wood cocktail table.
March 1, 2013 at 6:54AM   
Laurie
I just had a look see at the other thread on this room and see it isn't as long as it looks in the photos on this thread. The room really is very nice. A little paint and accessories (pictures, coffee table and lamp shades etc.) is all you really need.
March 1, 2013 at 7:03AM   
kstokes2
I think you are on your way to a great room. I am not a pro, but I might try the following: accent color on fireplace wall, throw pillows on sofa, an oversized ottoman and put a large tray on it so you can use it as a table also. A large picture or many put together behind sofa. I think the what you have so far is ok, you can mix metals, please do not become someone who has to do matchy matchy!!
March 1, 2013 at 7:53AM